CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Easiest Hardtail to Install?

While my plan was to strut the my 84 xlx project this summer to "try" out the rigid feel, it didn't pan out quite that way. The bike was running strong, but I didn't get a chance to really "shake it down" after I bought it in Feb.

I want to hardtail it this winter. I've been doing some homework on which type to use. But I am looking for the most "idiot proof" one. This is my first "build" and I wanna do the majority of the work myself. My neighbor with the TIG has agreed to weld it. But I will probably do most of the cutting and aligning myself or with a couple of my less than mechanical friends.

I really like the customabilty of the David Bird hardtail from LowBrow, but i don't dig the huge tranny mount that you end up with. But I really like that you can get the looped axle plates.The HOW TO video makes it seem simple enough. But others have said that the Led Sled ones are easier to install. I also like the look of them, and seem the easiest of all to install correctly, but are the most expensive I've found as well. HIH seems to make a nice one as well, but damn, those axle plates are enormous.

I read some stuff about Kansas Kustoms, Road 6, Santee, and V-twin. But I don't think I have enough info about those to make a desicion. I'd like to get one that allows me to use my stock parts, wheels, axles, calipers, ect.

I know there is a thread or 2 similar to this out there, but I wanted the most current info out there.
    So which one did you use and how easy was it to install?

Get Adobe Flash player

with the simple "Cut, plug and weld" fitment, the Led Sled one is easiest to install,but my preference is the David Bird for looks,even the non-loop one has great lines and a nice overall look to it. Also, the tranny mount plate is hardly seen after the build is complete....The David Bird also comes with very nice gussets that fit perfectly on the bikes I've done with them....Good luck whichever one you pick....

Get Adobe Flash player

Led sled or Kansas Kustoms, both are pretty similar with just 3 cuts... I went with a led sled, easy install and had bwagner do all my finish welding so the thing didnt fall apart

Get Adobe Flash player

hammer in hand is the easiest to install especially that it comes with an engine jig fixture so you dont have to work with the bulky motor in place
    for a home builder this is by far the easiest kit to install

but all of them can be installed fairly easy especially if you take a little time to make yourself up an engine jig fixture that will bolt in and out of the frame

dazegoneby

check out factory metal works ,,north carolina,they may be able to hook you up,,

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the input guys. Due to the wait time on most of these, I wanted to get some input and make a decision fairly quickly. Im confident that I could install any of these, but due to my lack of experience, I wanted to see what those who have done it had to say. Once again, thanks and I'll keep you guys updated.

Get Adobe Flash player

my Elswick hardtail was on, squared, re squared to be sure, and welded up about an hour

Get Adobe Flash player

I liked the santee. It lowered thr frame and stretched the wheelbase. Does not give a straight line from neck to rear axle though.

Share This