CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Advice for a newb....

Hey all, I am new to the scene, long time admirer, but its time to get my hand dirty and riding stock bikes wont do it anymore.

I am scootless right now. I have owned several Hondas and some older evos in the past and for the most part did all my own wrenching. I work as a machinist so I know my way around tools and a shop, I am not the greatest wleder my brother is and he has been teaching me.

Anyhow, I want to build a 70's style chop, probably evo or shovelhead powered.

Whats the best(i.e. cheapest, I am broke all the time) to do this? Scour e-bay and craigslist for parts and rig it all up? Buy a used big twin and sell of what I don't want/need and keep what I do?

Any advice woudl greatly be appreciated.

Get Adobe Flash player

Probably the cheapest would be to chop a Evo softail. Plenty of them around cheap, plenty of parts and pretty much everything aftermarket is targeted at Evo softail. You can buy a chopper frame for under $1000 and some longer fork tubes and away you go.

Get Adobe Flash player

eBay probably not. Look though your local CL and find a sporty. You can pick up a basket case or even a non runner from someone that doesn't know much about bikes or are in over their heads and just wanna get rid of it. I see ironheads all the time on CL going for dirt cheap. I would start there.

Get Adobe Flash player

i think both of those guys have pointed you in the right direction.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the direction guys! I appreciate it.

I am new to Chop Cult and love this site, been on it probably everyday for the last week or so, a lot of good material here.

Are there any places on here where I can offer my services as a machinist in trade for work I might not do so well (like leather or paint as an example)?

Get Adobe Flash player

You can post in the "services" section in the Classifieds.

Get Adobe Flash player

craigslist is the best way. on ebay, you'll usually have to travel a long way to pick up a bike if you buy it.

ARBY

BUY A RUNNING BIKE and start with that. Most new guys who jump into basket cases or try to build bikes from parts bought piece meal end up walking away broke and disgusted.

With a running bike one of your greatest hurdles will be accomplished - will it run. The rest is gravy. Then modify the bike to suit your tastes. Your skills as a machinist will keep you busy for a long time making personalized, one of a kind items. After you've learned a bit about what fits what and how things work then you can start a ground up build. Doing it that way will ensure that you have a running bike during the two to three year time span that some builds take. Especially if you're doing it on a budget. Good luck and stay focused.
    Last edited by ARBY; 03-05-2012 at 7:38 AM.

dazegoneby

like there was a guy lookin for parts to be made,,, so scour the threads maybe you can hookup with him.my advice is get what you can ,preferably complete bike in need of tlc then take it from there, limey bikes are cheaper than the h/ds so that could be a option .650 or 750 trump is good place to start ,,just look over any bike realy good ,,before throwing benjamins on it.most any tech question you can come up with, these guys here can answer.you will be amazed, some of these guys been wrenching bikes 30 years or more ,,lotta eienstiens here.just dosent seem like it, till you pick there brains for wisdom.on the other hand if h/d is what you after ,lotta bikes out there, at this time for sale, look em over till you find one, you can swing a deal on ,one thing, look at the bike as what you want it to be down the road,not what garbage wagon it is now ,,remember the older chops all started out as stockers,,time ,determination, desire is the main drive, money ,parts, knowledge, are hurdles you have to jump to succed ,in the quest for a two wheeled freedom machine of your own.
    Last edited by dazegoneby; 03-05-2012 at 7:54 AM.

jackin1

I would say ironhead would be the best... But you better like working on them.

Share This