CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Find and fill holes in gas tank.

I have a old tank that I'm trying to use on a project and I'm trying to find a few tiny pin holes in the tank. What's the best way to find the pinholes? What's the best way to clean out a tank before welding? This tank is an old ass tank and probably has not had gas in it in 20 years.

Get Adobe Flash player

Buy a rubber plug in the fill hole (from hardware store). Put a fitting on the petcock bung to fit an air compressor or bike pump. ONLY GO TO 5 PSI!!!!!!!!!!

Put some soap and water in a spray bottle and get spraying. You'll see bubbles on any pinhole.

As for the cleaning the inside. Don't throw a magnet in there.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by vnygra View Post
    Buy a rubber plug in the fill hole (from hardware store). Put a fitting on the petcock bung to fit an air compressor or bike pump. ONLY GO TO 5 PSI!!!!!!!!!!

Put some soap and water in a spray bottle and get spraying. You'll see bubbles on any pinhole.

As for the cleaning the inside. Don't throw a magnet in there.
    the magnet part was funny. but what he said will work. might take a bit. but i would throw some rustmort i think its called( too cold to go outside and check) ithe whole nuts and bolts and shaking it around thing sucks. and still does not get the job done.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you pour some laquer thinner in there and swish it around it will leak out those pin holes and show you where they are. If it's lined MEK will dissolve that. Make sure and blow it out real well before you weld it after the thinner though. I had a hard time using air pressure, but I found it helpful to set my regulator to like three psi.

Get Adobe Flash player

Once you figure out how to plug the filler you can buy a replacement valve stem from anywhere, and slip it over the petcock nipple to fill it. Fill to 3psi, and spray with soapy water.

Get Adobe Flash player

I know the DIY method is always preferred, but ive had good luck taking old tanks to a local radiator shop. The one I use will dip it to completely clean all the rust inside and out. Then they pressure test for leaks. Weld up any they find. Lastly, they line the tank with there own liner that will not peel, lift, fail, ever unlike Por-15, Kreem. Red Cote, etc. For $80 bucks it seems worth it to me.

Get Adobe Flash player

^^^ Where do you get it done for $80, This dude by my place was gonna charge $200 and the paint and body work would be removed. They bake the liner, I think its called "Re-new"

Get Adobe Flash player

A-1 radiator in Ontario, 909-984-7848

The liner they use is proprietary (their own) and its clear. Not sure how its applied.
    Last edited by elmiguel13; 01-26-2012 at 2:37 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

why not buy a different tank unless it's some museum tank I wouldnt run a repaired tank,to me its not worth the risk of a repair failure.and it may be cheaper as well

Get Adobe Flash player

If you got pinholes that tank is probably thin in alot of spots.Some healthy road vibes and you may be leakin' gas on a hot motor

Get Adobe Flash player

you could coat the whole thing in silcon bronze with a torch?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGd1vbsTzDE

Get Adobe Flash player

Is the one behind it copper? Doesnt look like the cheapest way to do it. But looks awesome

Get Adobe Flash player

Red-Kote. Had some pin holes in an old tank, after about 20 tries my crappy welder I couldn't get to low enough voltage. I soldered the area in question, coated the entire area with JB weld marine sealer on the outside, lined with with two coats of Red Kote and the tank is still rolling along over a year later. The Red Kote by itself fills holes up to 1mm. Replace the tank if you're a safety guy, but I really liked that old tank and it's been great thus far.

http://damonq.com/TechSheets/Red-Kote.pdf

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Daverous View Post
    Red-Kote. Had some pin holes in an old tank, after about 20 tries my crappy welder I couldn't get to low enough voltage. I soldered the area in question, coated the entire area with JB weld marine sealer on the outside, lined with with two coats of Red Kote and the tank is still rolling along over a year later. The Red Kote by itself fills holes up to 1mm. Replace the tank if you're a safety guy, but I really liked that old tank and it's been great thus far.

http://damonq.com/TechSheets/Red-Kote.pdf

+1 On the Red Kote... I used it after sectioning about 2-1/2" out of a sporty tank. Works well and is holding up just fine. Pretty cheap too.

Share This