CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default TECH: Homemade pixie duster(Flake Buster)

All righty guys. been working on a project and was looking for a way to lay some flake down without breaking the piggy bank. i wanted to try another method vs. mixing the flake in media. i saw the flake buster thread here and it got me to thinking. i remember seeing the thread about the home made "soda blaster" and i thought well hell why not flake? i already had an air nozzle in the shop but i didn't have the correct tips so i went down to lowes and bought the little kit that comes with a couple different ones for $2.99. i also bought a couple different pieces of clear plastic hose. one in 3/16" I.D.x12" long and one in 1/4" I.D. x 12" long (26 cents per ft. some one please restraint me!!!!). i started by trying out the 3/16" I.D. and found that it worked great so i didn't even try the 1/4". i will prolly even buy a smaller one, 1/8" I.D. for shits and giggles. you can pretty much shoot any flake out of this thing. i used microflake because that is what i was going to use in the fender. a few days ago i bought an airbrush kit so i had to buy a pressure regulator. got one at lowes for $14.99? you don't have to use a pressure regulator per say but at least a valve to control the amount of air coming into the air nozzle (not just the regulator on the compressor!). here is a short vid of the gun in action as well as a pictorial of the process. sorry guys, someone please embed the vid for me. thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjkSpPa9g0s

this is basically what the Lowes air nozzle tip kit brings for $2.99.

this is the air nozzle i have in the shop but you can use anyone you want

the pressure regulator, don't have to use this one, just a valve which you can control airflow with (not just the one at the compressor!)

here is what the gun is supposed to look like assembled, just like the "soda blaster" (hey didn't i just post a thread recently called" plagiarism of sorts"?)

here is my priceless harbor freight detail gun and the almighty pancake compressor i use. it is all the gun i need. i have painted a hell of alot of bikes with these 2 badboys. the key is to use an inline moisture filter and filter the paint of course. cleaning the air nozzles and blowing them out goes along ways. i even go as far as cleaning and blowing them out in between coats!

here are a couple of pics of the fender in primer and already base coated

my pixie dust......close your eyes and click your heels boys and girls!!!!

now then......to add flake to your already base coated work you have to spray the workpiece down with a good coat of clear. i am using limco clear and a "fast" activator because it has been kinda cool lately. the idea is to keep the clear wet until you can get the flake on the work piece. in the summer time i will switch over to a "slow" activator to keep the clear wet longer in the hot weather. you will need to have both the paint gun and the pixie duster ready to go since you will be directly shooting the work with flake after you shoot clear. when you initially regulate the air flow on the pixie duster, start with the pressure valve closed and then crack it open until you get the amount of dust you desire. after regulating the gun you will notice that the first blast will shoot out a good bit more dust than the following blasts so don't point the gun directly at the work piece. when you are ready to start point the gun away then bring it to the work piece after you have the flake flowing to your liking. once you have layed the flake down and you feel that there is not enough flake in one area because the clear dried and won't grab, just shoot some more clear and then lay down some more flake. i left some clear in my gun just incase. here are a couple pics of the fender shot. it is hard to appreciate the flake in these pics but trust me..........can you say "FLAKE!!!!!!!!"

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice thinking! looks great

Get Adobe Flash player

Awesome!

If I missed something and this is a stupid question...forgive me but...

What is the container that holds the flake? Can you use any capped container (does it need a cap?) to hold the flake the tube goes in? Is the tube going down into the flake or is the flake just getting sucked up into the tube? I think I know the answer but I'm just trying to be sure.

Does these questions make sence or am I talking out my ass?

Thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by motorlou View Post

the clear hose would be set into the cup of flake, at least thats how the soda blaster works. seems like you could put a lid on it and just make a hole big enough to stick the hose through.

Get Adobe Flash player

if you shoot the flake on top of the clear, how many coats of clear does it take to bury that flake then?

Deadweight

Quote Originally Posted by 53rigid View Post
    if you shoot the flake on top of the clear, how many coats of clear does it take to bury that flake then?
    As many as necessary. Not trying to be a smart ass.Just keep shootin' and working the clear till it's smooth as glass.

Get Adobe Flash player

thats a great idea man. are you doing it like this so you dont have to put the flake through the paint gun, clogging shit up? cause your already using the gun for the clear.

and i found this silhouette of how you used to do it......

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by cros36 View Post
    thats a great idea man. are you doing it like this so you dont have to put the flake through the paint gun, clogging shit up? cause your already using the gun for the clear.

and i found this silhouette of how you used to do it......

trust me you don't want to see me squatting over like that butt naked chick and blowing pixie dust!!! ha ha ha. hey guys, i just took the container of flake, stuck the hose in it and palmed it. this ain't the "absolute", you just gotta do what works for you. i did it this way because even the micro flake clogs my tiny spray gun up. there is no way in hell i would be able to ever get this much flake on the fender doing it that way and not having to spay a million coats of clear. as far as how many coats it takes to smooth it out, this turned out fairly smooth after i shot the flake because it is micro flake, i'll be adding a couple more coats. if you use bigger flake of course, you will have to add several layers to knock down the edge.
    Last edited by motorlou; 01-03-2012 at 10:31 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

this should be in the greatest hits forum! that's some good shit!

Get Adobe Flash player

well done! Greatest hits.

Get Adobe Flash player

I wish I wasn't as impatient as a 6 year old snorting pixie stix and could actually paint worth a shit. This looks awesome.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for sharing. That is a cool, simple idea.

Get Adobe Flash player

hey guys don't want to sound like a broken record but i just wanted to post some better pics of the piece i did yesterday. i airbrushed it (my first time airbrushing!) layed down some pinstripe tape (cause my hand is shakier than an epileptic in full seizure, no way i could pinstripe for real!!) then i proceeded to add a few final coats of clear, turned out pretty cool...........

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks real good man.

Get Adobe Flash player

fuck yeah! thats awesome good shit man.

Get Adobe Flash player

i flake my tins with fairy farts

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by hotrodkid View Post
    i flake my tins with fairy farts
    purple dust like your shirt on your avatar! ha ha ha

Get Adobe Flash player

fuck yeah man that looks really good.

Get Adobe Flash player

purple dust like your shirt on your avatar! ha ha ha
    yeah my cmera sucks balls everything black looks purple although if kutty made me a purple h/k shirt i would totaly wear it

Get Adobe Flash player

hey guys don't want to sound like a broken record but i just wanted to post some better pics of the piece i did yesterday. i airbrushed it (my first time airbrushing!) layed down some pinstripe tape (cause my hand is shakier than an epileptic in full seizure, no way i could pinstripe for real!!) then i proceeded to add a few final coats of clear, turned out pretty cool...........

man that came out nice!

Share This