CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Talk to me about performance exhaust for evo rigid

Folks this is my first "modern" Harley and I am behind the power curve [pardon pun] on the whole exhaust I know the basics which leads me to believe that with my evo motor, 3v27 cam and Mikuni 42 carb I am not moving air as efficiently as I could be with the fishtails.

I was going more for look than performance with them and now I want some performance and good looks if possible. I am looking for suggestions on something that will fit up nicely to my frame, provide performance.

I was thinking V&H big shots or thunderheader.

OR am I not really going to see much performance gain in a basically stock evo and just keep the fishtails?

Any knowledge you can spare it appreciated.

Get Adobe Flash player

you've got kind of a "look" going on there so a t-header or V&H will definately disrupt that..even though they'll perform great. You want the look or the performance?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by shiftace View Post
    you've got kind of a "look" going on there so a t-header or V&H will definately disrupt that..even though they'll perform great. You want the look or the performance?
    Well I like the look of it but I am planning on opening up the heads or getting a set of performance heads, probably the latter. I don't have anyone locally and don't have the skill/tools to do a competent port job, I think I am fine with the Mikuni 42 and cam but with new heads I don't want to restrict it.

I was thinking something low key like black thunder headers or whatever consensus I can get.

I don't mind straying from "the look" if it helps the ole gal breath a bit better. I just can't think of a different way.

I was kind of kickin around the idea of changing to a retro-modern take on an industrial strength WW2 WLA. I saw some dude online in Europe that collects WLAs and writes about etc. I really would like to have one, my gramps was an Army bike scout messenger wire checker handyman in WW2 and I got to thinking why not do a modern take on one.

Might be fun to have one of those big ass windshields, gun leather, modern satin/subdued olive drab, toss on a 6 speed kicker, stroked evo with good exhaust.

Or not...

Get Adobe Flash player

What about finding a used thunderheader muffler and making your own pipes? that way you stay closer to the look your after and keep the performance maker of the TH. I think equal length tubes helps a lot for performance. Keeps the cylinders balanced. Could be wrong though.

Get Adobe Flash player

Have you thought about a Supertrapp? They're awsome performance pipes that could work with a new age tracker type look. D&D Fatcats are also great for performance, but I don't think it'd look as cool.

Get Adobe Flash player

there are cones u can buy fairly cheap that go inside the exhaust at the head that help evo's, another thing that helps is put a half inch bolt in the very end of the exhaust in the middle of the pipe. this is a very cheap method that does make a difference. and the equal length tubes only apply with dual exhast, when they are tied together it balances out, but the exhaust u have isn,t known for it's performance either.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Thunderheader

Your bike should instantly run better. Find a usedone on the cheap and try it. I found one for 25 bucks locally and cut it and kicked it up to make it a little more funky.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you are looking to keep the look, you can go to a bigger diameter pipe right behind the rear pipe pick up and open it up from there. That would give you some better performance. If you go to a Thunderheader, D&D, Supertrap, V&H, or any other, they will look very similiar and will change the look of your bike to a more modern style.

Get Adobe Flash player

2 into one is a good thing, you've already got that. But your collector and the pipe after are your bottleneck. Why not just split that fishtail along the bottom edge and open it up from the merge back? any good collector will step up at the merge.
    Something about fishtails are hard to tune, i think it has to do with the uneven sound wave pulses that travel back up the pipe. Might take some time to get the length right for how you ride.
    Vance and Hines and the like spend a lot of r&d to get the pipes tuned to a powerband expectation.
    And of course you'll have to tune that carb for any pipe changes you make.

Share This