CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default minor modifying of frame

hey guys! i've been digging and haven't found my answer so please forgive if this has been covered before (i'm sorta internets-illiterate)

i'm wanting to lift the neck of my frame. basicly thinking i would chop the vertical support, maybe the supports under the seat, bend the main tube up and make it more of a chopper style frame instead of the stock ironhead low slung shape. i know i'd need to do something with my front forks to lengthen them if i did this but my first question was "is this a bad idea?" haha i don't have the money most likely this winter to purchase a frame so obviously the option would be chop .

(since i KNOW i'm getting all the terminology wrong, here's a pretty picture)

any thoughts guys? i'm a rookie welder and would be likely having a friend help with this since he's basicly a journeyman. but i just wanted advice if you have it. thanks!!

Get Adobe Flash player

no thoughts? just thought i'd bump this. thanks.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you were to raise the backbone, I think you'd also have to stretch it out at least enough for the down tubes to connect to the neck. I say go for it, just be sure to use long slugs in the frame to connect the tubes and do rosette welds too. Something like this is a lot of work. A whole lot of work before you even make the first cut. Just be sure to take your time and measure everything 10 times before you cut. Build some kind of jig.

Get Adobe Flash player

You call that "minor"?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteUSP View Post
    You call that "minor"?
    haha! by minor i meant less than a tear down and rebuild. alot of guys on here who have messed with their frame have cut it down pretty far. i was hoping for maybe three cuts and then welding.

don't know how i forgot about having to stretch the top tube... thanks. i'm sure i woulda figured that out when i actually went to plan everything out.

Get Adobe Flash player

You definitely shouldn't just "bend" the top tube though. You'd have to cut it, and reposition it. The vertical bottom tubes then won't line up again so you'll have to have almost tubing bent backwards to get them to line up. If you have a skilled welder he'll know to gusset everything and put bungs everywhere up seeing as you're essentially weakening the frame at all the cuts mid-tubes. Definitely a lot of work.

Get Adobe Flash player

Damn, forget cutting and slugging in the middle of the backbone. Cut the tube at the fork and replace the whole backbone. That way you can make it however long you need.

Get Adobe Flash player

The way the Ironhead necks are you can just make a cut straight up right behind the stem tube stopping just a bit before you cut all the way through. Then you heat that area that is still attached and use a bar to pull back on the stem tube to rake it out. That is how they did it back in the 70's and still how most garage guys do it these days. Then you just fill in the pie section created and many people run an additional plate back over the whole section after it's filled in.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by erockson View Post
    The way the Ironhead necks are you can just make a cut straight up right behind the stem tube stopping just a bit before you cut all the way through. Then you heat that area that is still attached and use a bar to pull back on the stem tube to rake it out. That is how they did it back in the 70's and still how most garage guys do it these days. Then you just fill in the pie section created and many people run an additional plate back over the whole section after it's filled in.

the only thing about doing it this way,cuz ive thought about it.
    what about the alignment? obviously the best thing to do is to jig it up but what are the chances of fuckin it up?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by erockson View Post

i want to do more than just rake it. otherwise that would be perfect! that is pretty slick tho.

so don't bend. ok. thanks for the ideas guys! i'm new to this side of fabrication. basicly have big ideas and not many ideas on how to execute them! haha

Get Adobe Flash player

The pie cut is how mine was raked, and i dont consider that minor, Jig is a must. I wouldnt bend either, rene has some good suggestions.

Share This