CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Chopped cam/tranny sprocket cover pics

thats right id love to see how you guys chopped those covers!!please post pics!!i could use the motivation on how you did yours!!also any lil hints and tips on doing this would be great!!

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm just starting up a blog and did a step by step on how I did this on Saturday

www.choppercreeps.blogspot.com
    Last edited by tattoo2303; 10-17-2011 at 1:06 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

awesome blog man..and the chop turned out amazing!did you run into trouble removing the cover??iv been told to use putty knives to keep the cam in..?did you do this?and you did this chop with motor in the frame upright correct?

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks! Probably should have covered that, the motor was in the bike, I took the cam cover off (without removing the sensor/middle cam) and had all my cams come shooting out at me, had a mild panic attack and figured id never hear my bike run again.

Had I removed that and learned about the putty knife trick before hand I probably could have gotten the cover off and back on, so in my case I had to take the rocker boxes down to relieve the pressure on the pushrods to re-install it. Looked at it as a learning experience to set-up cams and it all worked out.

If I were to do it again I probably would take the rockerboxes off before I did the camcover anyways just to relieve the pressure. Its 20 bolts and worth the 30-45mins in my opinion

Get Adobe Flash player

Did mine (again) this weekend...

Get Adobe Flash player

yea i dont know about screwing with the cams themselves..i probably would freak if they came out!i am not yet versed on relieving the pressure on them..but with kirks chop it reminds me of a debate i once read about covering i think its a sensor in the rear..are you guys familiar with that..tattoo i noticed you chopped yours but kirk left his(great job on both by the way they both look rad!)

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by doppleganger87 View Post
    yea i dont know about screwing with the cams themselves..i probably would freak if they came out!i am not yet versed on relieving the pressure on them..but with kirks chop it reminds me of a debate i once read about covering i think its a sensor in the rear..are you guys familiar with that..tattoo i noticed you chopped yours but kirk left his(great job on both by the way they both look rad!)
    It's not a sensor, but the rear alignment dowel... I cut mine off on my first one, left this one just to do something different... I really don't think it matters, as you have 5 high tolerance bushings aligning the cover itself.

Get Adobe Flash player

oh ok..ill assume you guys replaced the gasket when doing this right??seems ill need a new gasket and to start reading up on the cams and cover in my manual!

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice, Kirk. I like how you cut a somewhat different line than one usually sees! If and when I get around to it I'll probably just do the usual close cut all the way around...

-m

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by mrcoffee View Post
    Nice, Kirk. I like how you cut a somewhat different line than one usually sees! If and when I get around to it I'll probably just do the usual close cut all the way around...

-m
    thats different

Get Adobe Flash player

wow that does look easy. One more thing to add to the list of shit I want to do but probably won't get around to doing this winter.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Cam cover cut-down

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong area, I thought it fit here well enough. If I've gotten something wrong please hit me up about it...it might not be too late.

Read this today on CC and decided to give it a shot. I'll share some things I learned through research, trial/error, divine intervention, and just plain shenanigans.

1. Loosen the rocker boxes to relieve valve spring pressure off the pushrods before removing cam chest cover. If you don't you'll risk damaging cam bearings and generally making a bitch of a time getting the cover back on.

2. Using a 5/32 drill bit, slowly and gently drill out the rivets that hold the timing cover on; soft aluminum that goes quickly. You're only drilling out the rivet head to get the cover to release and fall away.

3. Get your 'handy-dandy' impact tool/picks ready because, as you can see by this piss poor example and the previous owners maintenance, the screws and timing plate will probably be gunked up and seized.

4. since I'm doing a nearly full rebuild on this bike I just snipped the wires coming in to the cam chest...you may not want to do that unless you are also building a wiring harness from scratch.

5. Remove the nut in the center to release some 'cup-like' piece...once again, much gunk can lead to a giant pain in the ass; be firm but don't be the Hulk.

6. You might have an oil line and the left side cam cover; disconnect this.

7. Use a soft mallet to gently bang around the cover to loosen it but don't just yank it off all 'willie nillie' like...have a clean puddy knife (I used a plastic puddy knife to reduce the chances of damaging anything with a hard eage). The puddy knife is to insert in to the cam area through the opening created by SLOWLY AND GENTLY removing the cam cover...you are trying to keep the cams from sticking to the cover and falling out. If this happens, grab your service manual and settle in for a long day of failing to get your timing right.

8. You'll see from my pics that I drilled holes from the inside of where I wanted to material removed. Next, I flipped the cover over and played connect the dots with my angle grinder. Kindergarten taught me that I'm a visual learner.

NOTE: there are two structures at the bottom edge of the cover. One is the pass through hole for the aforementioned wiring. The other I suspect is a oil priming duct from the factory that you'll note is sealed before you started cutting. This duct has 2-4 passages throughout the cover; I didn't know what to do so i tapped and plugged it with a bolt/blue thread locker/O-ring/washer...I'll post when I find that fix leads to a catastrophic failure.

Avoid damaging the machined surface because you'll have an oil leak there for the rest of that bikes life. It's easy to removal material patiently, slowly, and carefully...most of us lack the skill to add it back on. I suspect this cover is aluminum which will make it all the more difficult.

Ensure all of the old gasket is removed and the entire cover has been washed, scrubbed, solvented, and blown out...you don't want debris ruining your hard work and killing your engine.

Use a new gasket to reassemble in the opposite manner than dis-assembly...USE A NEW GASKET ON EVERY SURFACE JOINT YOU DISRUPTED (upper, middle, and lower rocker box, cam cover, timing cover, etc...). Make sure to torque to spec and in correct order.

make sure everything is as it was before you started (minus all of that unnecessary cover bulk), wash the bike (makes it easier to spot leaks), do a test run in the drive way to check for leaks, go on a test ride, check for leaks, sleep well at night, check for leaks, get a balanced and wholesome breakfast...check for leaks. if something sounds of feels funny consider seeking professional assistance; you can't do better than a proper Grey-beard.

DISCLAIMER:

I am a slap-ass amateur who doesn't know shit about fuck...I'm not a mechanic but I do love to break things under the guise of "fixing". You trust what I say at your own peril; you have been warned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130707_160512.jpg   20130707_151255.jpg   20130707_152035.jpg   20130707_160420.jpg   20130707_160445.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

whatever you do dont cut your kicker cover this thin.itll snap like mine did

photo 092712230137.jpg

photo 092712225916.jpg

photo 2012-09-07_13-29-09_516.jpg

Get Adobe Flash player

has anyone cut the cam cover with it still installed? I would rather not crack the motor if I don't need to.. TIA

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by damnthemansam View Post
    has anyone cut the cam cover with it still installed? I would rather not crack the motor if I don't need to.. TIA
    It's really so easy to take off that I wouldn't risk it. But that's just me. If you do take it off just loosen it a bit and stick a screw driver down there so you don't pull the cam with it. Much easier to cut it if it's off.

Share This