Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 650Beezer
    • Apr 2011

xs650 Horse Power

I wanna know if anybody has some tricks up there sleeve for an xs650. I plan on racing my Knight \ xs650 next year, and i want to kick ass. I can get 60 hp out of one without boring. I know theres tricks out there, because they fly by me when im on the track. BTW im talkin flat track not street legal. I have one i race now with all the goodies but there must be a secret out there.
  • Billyboy13
    • May 2011

Well, it's certainly not a secret but I would say the head is a good place to look. There's more than one company out there that will port and polish but I would look for a XS650 or flat track specialty place. Thomas racing service is one that comes to mind, out of Indiana I think. A friend of mine did a slight port/polish on my XS and it runs like a raped ape.

Comment

• Punkskalar
      • Jan 2010

Stock Bore, Rephased, 34mm High Velocity Lectrons, Early XS1 Camshaft, headwork, and proper pipes and you'll be having ALOT of fun...

Wanna have MORE fun, add a Megacycle or Shell Cam, and a 700CC Kit from Gary Hoos at HoosRacing and leave out the base gasket for 10.5:1 compression

Stay away from Thomas Racing BTW - There are lots of bad things popping up from them on the XS650.com forum, and their Ebay feedback is pretty bad too... And if you are looking for real power, stay away from MikesXS.com's big bore kits. They are decent for a street bike, but not enough compression for what you pay for honestly. Gary Hoos also sells some pretty sweet JE pistons and will install new liners in your old cylinders if you are looking for a bad mofo 750 kit

Comment

• got556
        • Jul 2011

Hugh,

So lets say (b/c I'm thinking this winter it's in the realms of possibility) I wanna punch my '83 650 out to a bigger bore, rephase and a cam, Pamco w/ the dual coils for a 277, no electric starter, Lectron carbs, and a quality free flowing exhaust (perhaps from Gordon), what are we looking at power wise?

Thanks.

Comment

• Punkskalar
          • Jan 2010

Originally posted by got556
          Hugh,

So lets say (b/c I'm thinking this winter it's in the realms of possibility) I wanna punch my '83 650 out to a bigger bore, rephase and a cam, Pamco w/ the dual coils for a 277, no electric starter, Lectron carbs, and a quality free flowing exhaust (perhaps from Gordon), what are we looking at power wise?

Thanks.
          Not 100% sure on the numbers, I've never dyno'd an engine of mine before honestly, and don't want to stab in the dark....

BUT, here is a video of just that combo WITH a severely dead clutch... It's been in storage waiting for business to slow down so I can rebuild her

The Black and White XS650 I built. My first bike... She's a little beat down lately with bad paint, scratches and such. But I built it to be pretty first,...

Last edited by Punkskalar; 07-19-2011, 4:32 PM.

Comment

• got556
            • Jul 2011

I thought you had said you hadn't got to a dyno yet (read that once over on XS650.com). Thanks for the reply however and I've watched that vid a hundred times. Is that before or after the clutch mod?

Comment

• Punkskalar
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by got556
              I thought you had said you hadn't got to a dyno yet (read that once over on XS650.com). Thanks for the reply however and I've watched that vid a hundred times. Is that before or after the clutch mod?
              Before, I haven't even messed with this bike since the video honestly. The 8 Pack Clutch mod you might have seen on my blog is going on a totally different bike...

Comment

• got556
                • Jul 2011

Ahh okay thanks for the clarification. I'm just looking fwd to your hydraulic clutch mod. And look for a big purchase from me in a bit for the PMA, 35mm fork lowering spacers (2"), some solid riser bushings, a few bungs, and possibly some rephased goodness

Comment

• 650Beezer
                  • Apr 2011

This is good stuff. I did port the intake on the one im racing now, and plan on doing it to the new ride. I tell ya what, this is what i usually do to em. Ported intake,hot cam,2 into 1 intake with a 42 mm Makuni feeding it, hp clutch pack, dyno hp coil,pamco ignition,reverse megaphone exhaust oh and oversized valves. I never fooled with rephasing the engine, but it does sound pretty cool. I never had a chance to ride a rephased 650, and im not sure about the power curve. One Dude that burns my ass every other weekend " #51 " we wont name him, but he has somethin done in there. It sounds like a God Damn Farari when he goes by !!!

Comment

• 650Beezer
                    • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Punkskalar
                    Stock Bore, Rephased, 34mm High Velocity Lectrons, Early XS1 Camshaft, headwork, and proper pipes and you'll be having ALOT of fun...

Wanna have MORE fun, add a Megacycle or Shell Cam, and a 700CC Kit from Gary Hoos at HoosRacing and leave out the base gasket for 10.5:1 compression

Stay away from Thomas Racing BTW - There are lots of bad things popping up from them on the XS650.com forum, and their Ebay feedback is pretty bad too... And if you are looking for real power, stay away from MikesXS.com's big bore kits. They are decent for a street bike, but not enough compression for what you pay for honestly. Gary Hoos also sells some pretty sweet JE pistons and will install new liners in your old cylinders if you are looking for a bad mofo 750 kit
                    Thanks for that info, but i dont want to run with the xr Harleys. I like the 650 class. You can do it but if somebody complains they will make you do a tare down right there and then.if you get busted rockin a 750...thats BAD. I know theres a way to get 70+ out of that little shit. I just need to find the right hook up.

Comment

• Punkskalar
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by 650Beezer
                      Thanks for that info, but i dont want to run with the xr Harleys. I like the 650 class. You can do it but if somebody complains they will make you do a tare down right there and then.if you get busted rockin a 750...thats BAD. I know theres a way to get 70+ out of that little shit. I just need to find the right hook up.
                      Early high compression pistons, using a 256 set of rods and pistons... Longer rod, same bore, shorter piston height = longer dwell at TDC and BTDC... Deck the head and delete the base gasket - just make sure the valves are gonna clear the pistons. That should get you in the 11:1 range or so. That and some good head work and free flowing exhaust with a good set of carbs will get you there

Comment

• ROLLO
                        • Jan 2011

My big bore Thomas runs like a 1000cc bike . Gonna have him do some head work over the winter and start on a BSA . I dont know about those other motors mine runs great well over 3000 miles on it . I see alot of problems with pamco's though .

Comment

• ROLLO
                          • Jan 2011

DNA springers , Boyer , Wacked out TC bros hardtails , All the service problems , dont like this dont like that . Hell you would never buy anything . Sorry about two post hit the wrong button .

Comment

• got556
                            • Jul 2011

Originally posted by ROLLO
                            My big bore Thomas runs like a 1000cc bike . Gonna have him do some head work over the winter and start on a BSA . I dont know about those other motors mine runs great well over 3000 miles on it . I see alot of problems with pamco's though .
                            I've never used Thomas Racing but I'll say this. Hugh is on every forum I'm on and I see him handing out help, advice, etc every day of the week. He has a website and is constantly coming up or innovating new products for our XS's.

The only time I've seen Thomas Racing post was by using XS650.com as a free place to advertise and post their services. No website or nothing. And ya I've heard plenty of problems with Thomas Racing. I mean I try to take everything w/ a grain of salt but the mere fact you're adding that last line of "Lots of problems with pamcos" makes you lose all credibility.

Do you think the possible problems with pamcos could be the people that are installing them and not the product itself. I'd love to see a failure rate on the pamcos....b/c I'm gonna say it now, I think you, sir, are full of fucking shit.

Comment

• easyspeed
                              • Dec 2010

Sooooo.... how bout' this weather?.....

I think a lot of peopple burn up their Pamco simply because the system is installed wrong or they've done one of the many no no's that can't get away with while running a HEI ignition.

I know this because I just toasted my Dyna s ignition on my cb750. Basically if any voltage does not get expelled from the spark plug than it finds it's way back into your HEI system and ruins it. Kind of sucks that there is no fail safe, but that's that.

Now, let's get back to the thread. I'm interested in these nice little home grown how to's on free horsepower. I've got a 72 motor that leaks around the base a bit. When I tear it down I'll probably go through the head and lap valves, mild port/ clean. But I also have a later crankshaft and rods chilling in a box ...somewhere. Can you mix the early pistons to a later rod? What else can we do to run these a bit harder?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;