Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kestrou
    • Oct 2021

Smokeout? Hands in the air!

There was no love for going to Sturgis - https://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56469

But, anybody heading to Smokeout? Has been on hiatus for a few years, but I've been previously and it's ALL ABOUT THE CHOPS!

Kevin
  • docmel
    • May 2015

No thanks

Went to two about 15 or so years ago:r The one in NC just got too expensive and commercialized. Smoke out was again, to me, one of those "Lets get the chopper feeling together again" idea that eventually turned out to be another Sturgis, Laconia, Chilicothe, Am Jam (Anyone remember that one?), MB Bike week, Daytona, the list goes on.

"Its all about the chopper feeling" I agree: Unfortunatley most chopper vendors and organizers forget that feeling and would rather get a feeling of a full wallet

But if ya want to go to a large chopper gathering, you dont have much choice

Comment

• kestrou
      • Oct 2021

First - I’m not associated with Smokeout, or any other rally, in any way other than as an attendee.

I don’t see many RICH rally organizers - do you?

For Smokeout a three day pass is $40 - three day camping permit is $50 - sounds like pretty cheap entertainment to me for the number of live bands and events.

Don’t want to give those greedy vendors any more money to roll around in? Bring a loaf of bread and pound of sliced ham and eat at your tent - you wouldn’t have been eating for free those three days anyways.

Meanwhile there’s moderately organized events to attend (or not), relatively like minded folk to hang out with, and choppers by the oodles to ogle.

I’m open for a better plan at a better price, but this ain’t a bad one for a September weekend in the beautiful Tar Heel State.

Kevin

Comment

• docmel
        • May 2015

Its a free country my man. Go and tell us how it really was: If its an honest blast to go to, tell us. But dont leave out the negs

As for rich organizers, nope, I dont belive there are many: Which is why they charge what they do, when they can

Look for a moment: So $40 for a 3 day pass: Hmmm... Basically $13 a day. After 2 days it gets a little old, just me.

3 day permit for camping at $50 for a 10 foot patch? So now $90: Hell, campgrounds with full hookups, laundry (greayt way to dry your clothes) etc, are almost at that price for 3 days

Free entertainment? Naw, you paid for it when you paid at the gate and for the campground

Why not $40 for a 3 day pass AND camping. Why charge $40 at the gate to breathe air? I get it, grounds lease, the bands, etc

And yes, I do have to pay for chow anyhow. All us also have to pay for rent or a mortgage as well so that comment really doesnt pay off

Consider the reality of buying bread, condiments, snacks, sliced meat or PB, plus your own drinks, beer (can you even BRING alchohol to the gig?) cooler, ice, cups and flatware, etc: How much did that cost at the grocery store? You most likely bought most or all this stuff just to bring it to the event (or have to replace what you took from home) and bringing it in to eat: You really havent "saved" money. And when you run low or out, where do you go for more?: Pretty much the local convenience store which robs you as well

I legally carry a gun, period: If there are "No Concealed" signs, or searches, metal detectors, etc at the gate.... No thanks: Not 10 years ago there were not many searches and crimes commited with guns were VERY low at biker events

Look, people have to make money. Gas, and everything else has gone up and it gets passed on: Thats where we are at, but lets agree that making money and greed plays into it as well

But here is my main point: As far as value, what makes up the most value to me is, "Does the event actually have the "Chopper Spirit"?, something you cant buy or make up with fancy booths, gimmicks, prices or make believers, which I find to be what makes up most rallies nowadays. Hell, you cant even have a good wiener bite or bike type rodeo events any more. And if you do, they charge folks to enter them "at your own risk". Then there is the worry or possible legal issues if someone goes down. And titty contests? Almost a thing of the past

Low Brow kicks off a good one (And nope, I dont work for them), and they sure as hell dont overkill on the prices, and the folks and sleds are awesome
        Last edited by docmel; 08-26-2022, 9:45 AM.

Comment

• docmel
          • May 2015

Whats funny is my buddies and I have certianly brought food and drinks into biker gigs: Ever see what loaves of bread, condiments, chip bags and beer coolers look like just after day one? Empty, crushed, tops left off and coolers full of mud! So lets go out and get more, yuo get the idea................................

Anyways, let us know know how it really was

Comment

• LisaBallard
            • Jul 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20220827_062439_789.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	1322829
            CC is giving away a couple of general admission tickets, event t-shirts, posters, and a free primitive camping spot on our Instagram account.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

Forty or fifty bucks in 2022 is damn near free especially compared to other motorbike related expenses and if you can't literally burn a century note nowadays it's time to re-evaluate life. (A 1980 dollar is $3.81 in 2022 dollars.) Meets today have overhead. Parking and traffic control are not fun nor are other support jobs but they're necessary so workers expect to get more than nothing for their time and sweat.

Cell phones killed titty contests along with old age. The absolute certainty your knockers will be immortalized forever as the only aspect of you the world cares about makes waving them around for free questionable especially when ya can make money flaunting 'em elsewhere.

The original chopper scene died with the original people and setting. What's left is somewhat surprising since it's been a rebirth and the people into it now are why the aftermarket we all use exists to serve us. Purism is fine where supportable but chopper events were no purist religious ritual. They were a bunch of happy bikers getting shitfaced away from public attention. The old ways didn't just vanish, they stopped being viable. Everybody loves an event but no one wants to shovel shit to make them happen, and there is more shit to shovel these days.

Comment

• rockman96
                • May 2018

Originally posted by farmall
                Forty or fifty bucks in 2022 is damn near free especially compared to other motorbike related expenses and if you can't literally burn a century note nowadays it's time to re-evaluate life. (A 1980 dollar is $3.81 in 2022 dollars.) Meets today have overhead. Parking and traffic control are not fun nor are other support jobs but they're necessary so workers expect to get more than nothing for their time and sweat.

Cell phones killed titty contests along with old age. The absolute certainty your knockers will be immortalized forever as the only aspect of you the world cares about makes waving them around for free questionable especially when ya can make money flaunting 'em elsewhere.

The original chopper scene died with the original people and setting. What's left is somewhat surprising since it's been a rebirth and the people into it now are why the aftermarket we all use exists to serve us. Purism is fine where supportable but chopper events were no purist religious ritual. They were a bunch of happy bikers getting shitfaced away from public attention. The old ways didn't just vanish, they stopped being viable. Everybody loves an event but no one wants to shovel shit to make them happen, and there is more shit to shovel these days.
                Sad, but true. There is an old saying... "you can't go home". It's as true today as it was 100 years ago. Everything changes, including people.

Comment

• 1954bmw
                  • Mar 2015

Read in Cycle source that Ralph "Hammer" Janus is in charge of the anvil toss, I sure hope somebody asks him where are subscription refunds are???

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                    • Jul 2010

We'll all be there. Salisbury OGs, went to every one of the events there in the past. Ride choppers or fuck off.

Comment

• RichardD
                      • Jun 2012

Originally posted by 1954bmw
                      Read in Cycle source that Ralph "Hammer" Janus is in charge of the anvil toss, I sure hope somebody asks him where are subscription refunds are???
                      Was that the guy with Iron Horse Magazine? Seems like a hundred years ago since I saw one of those...

I've never been to Smokeout, but if it is 10% as commercialized as the Bike Rally in Galveston, NO THANKS!

Comment

• docmel
                        • May 2015

Seeing how its rained about one inch in the general area wont help much

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

Originally posted by BadMonkeyMW
                          We'll all be there. Salisbury OGs, went to every one of the events there in the past. Ride choppers or fuck off.
                          The NC CBA/ABATE swap meet which moved to Salisbury after being hosted at Charlotte for many years remains decent with a fair number of vendors still selling used parts. The next will be in the second week of November per their Facebook page. There are spring and fall meets.

Comment

• docmel
                            • May 2015

For the folks that ACTUALLY went: How as it?

Comment

• BadMonkeyMW
                              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by docmel
                              For the folks that ACTUALLY went: How as it?
                              We had a good time. The weather was not good Saturday but it was still fun. So many of the original Salisbury Smokeout people were there and it was great to see everyone and catch up. It made me feel 20 years younger.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;