Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • loddytoddy
    • Jul 2014

James Cave, a father of 6 and a history teacher living in Saint Paul, is a self-proclaimed hybrid hipster cafe racer and grizzled big bad cruiser rider… But really, he‘s just a big man with a big heart who loves to learn and share knowledge. In the winter, he hunkers down in the garage with his two daughters, Poppy & Iris, tinkering on bikes. On the lift right now, a Honda VTX coming alive as a cool modern chopper. They‘re also restoring a Honda CL100 that Poppy is intending to be her ride as soon as it‘s done. After that will be the Honda CB 750 stashed in the back of the garage and the Honda 550 in pieces in the neighbor‘s garage. James win‘s father of the year award in my book. Even more impressive, however, is the course James started at his school (Hmong College Prep Academy) called Reverse Engineering. It is not a vo-tech small engines course per se; the students are learning about themselves, problem-solving, teamwork, and how systems work by learning about small engines and, this coming semester: motorcycles. I wish there had been a James Cave around when I was in school.

thought I recognized that bike..

Click image for larger version

Name:	hibernate.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	1279866

Comment

• Westboundbiker
      • Oct 2014

@Pendulum. I've poked around the GS Resources some, but they mostly seem to think that anything but a restomod is sacrilegious. Granted, I'll probably poke around some more. I hadn't seen/heard about bikecliffs' before, I'll have to dig around. Thanks!

@loddytoddy
      Yeah! He was awesome to work with, and I love the pics he took. His pics of your bikes are pretty great too. He has a great eye for contrast and lighting.

Comment

• loddytoddy
        • Jul 2014

sean's awesome.. Trying to get him over to my buddy Andy's place in uptown to shoot his garage.. 8 bikes and 5 are all custom built chops.. mine being one of them.. we are doing the exhaust there. small, smokey, full of beer cans and warm enough..

Comment

• Pendulum
          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Westboundbiker
          @Pendulum. I've poked around the GS Resources some, but they mostly seem to think that anything but a restomod is sacrilegious. Granted, I'll probably poke around some more. I hadn't seen/heard about bikecliffs' before, I'll have to dig around. Thanks!
          You're not joking about that lol. It's weird though... I've seen some pretty modified bikes get lots of love over there. I think if it's a show quality build, most of those guys appreciate the work even if it's not their thing. Rat bikes don't get that treatment, though.

I just don't even talk about choppers on that forum. I treat it as a great tech resource with a helpful community, but not somewhere to discuss styling/aesthetics... I'll talk choppers with all you unhelpful, non-technical, crusty rapscallions over here.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
            • Oct 2014

Hey, we aren't all non-technical, I'm an engineer. Not to mention all the kick ass machining so many guys here do. (Damn I need to get a mill...)

I like the community here because it's so much about being hands on and getting dirty, figuring out how to rig it up just to get that first ride on a custom machine, and the work to perfect em. I can respect the retro-mod community, but there's something so much more exhilarating about chopping into something.

I can't comment so much on the crusty rapscallion part though...

Comment

• Westboundbiker
              • Oct 2014

Hey guys, not a whole lot to update, just some tinkering with the carbs.
              She was running weak around the 1/4 - 1/2 throttle, so I shimmed the needle, and it seems to be doing better. For those curious, I've got a couple test videos, where I ran through the Throttle positions. I still need to upload the test video with the shimmed needle, but when I do, I'll post it here.

Test 1:
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Test 2:
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Test 3:
              Testing my 85 suzuki 450 with a new exhaust and intake. This is test three, and seems to point to needed the needle shimmed.

Test 4: now with 100% more needle shims!
              Coming soon!

Also, fuck these MN winters. I want to ride, damit.

Comment

• Nilson
                • Dec 2014

Hey, I have a 81 GS 450 that has developed some nasty electrical issues. It runs for 5 -10 mins thens loses sparks. I am getting tired of chasing bad spots in the old harness so I am thinking it is getting chopped this summer. How did you do your wire harness? Do you have a diagram?

Thanks

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                  • Oct 2014

I can post what I've got, although it didn't end up exactly like that, for connector reasons. It should be a lot easier to follow than the stock one though, so I'll post it up tonight.

Comment

• Nilson
                    • Dec 2014

Much appreciated.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                      • Oct 2014

This is about what I went with. Some changes were made in the heat of the moment, mostly for making it easy to disassemble. If you get it all put together, and she cranks, and you get spark from each plug, swap the plug wires, and try again. There isn't really a good way to check which wires out of the ignitor module operate which cylinder.

Comment

• DINGO
                        • Feb 2015

Hey man all you ended up having to do was shim the needle? Also how short is your exhaust?
                        Last edited by DINGO; 02-18-2015, 10:31 PM.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                          • Oct 2014

Yeah, that was all I had to do. When I tore into the carbs, I saw that the previous owner had upped the main jet to a 135, up from the the stock size of 120 (I think), and I didn't check the pilot. I may end up having to go back down on the main, it smells like it's running rich. But with how cold it is here, I just wanted to make sure it was running ok through all the throttle before trying to fine tune it in the spring. To shim the needle, you'll need some snap ring pliers, and some reeeaaaaalllly tiny stainless washers, as the American gs's don't have the adjustable needles. My exhaust is a 2 into one built out of some of the stock exhaust. It dumps about 6" behind the foot peg. The muffler that I'm using is this one (http://www.dimecitycycles.com/chrome...y-muffler.html) and it sounds way meaner in person than in the videos.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                            • Oct 2014

Dang, it's been a while since I updated... Well, this weekend I finally got around to putting up a paint booth in my garage, and stripping off the paint. I also put on the first layer of primer onto the frame, and tonight will wet sand that, and prime the tank! Pics to follow soon.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                              • Oct 2014

So I had a buddy convince me to spend a crapload of money, and not rattle can. And holy crap am I glad about that. He and I spent yesterday painting, full primer-base-clear on my parts, and a primer on the parts for his GS750 cafe build (he's still got some body work he wants to do).

Frame turned out amazing!

Killer contrast!

There are a couple issues to be worked out with the clear, but overall, my buddy kicked ass on this.

Comment

• Westboundbiker
                                • Oct 2014

I'm so close to having her on the road. I need to put the tank on...

I go to give her a test crank and... No spark. Fuck. Looks like I'll be doing some electrical troubleshooting today. I hope it's not the igniter module, they run for like 400 bucks.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;