PDA

View Full Version : 1973 ironhead xlch "battery charge problem"

Spex1989
03-16-2016, 10:08 PM
Hello everyone, I recently bought a 1973 ironhead xlch. My problem is that my battery will not charge, what could the problem possibly be?
Thanks.

chopperbob1313
03-17-2016, 10:28 AM
The battery should be checked at a shop first. It may be bad enough that it can't charge. If it's good then you may check the alternator AND LOTS OF OTHER ELECTRICAL BULLSHIT. Hopefully it WILL be the battery,cheapest and easiest fix.

Spex1989
03-17-2016, 1:43 PM
Thanks for the insight.

Jessechop
03-17-2016, 3:31 PM
Ahh, yes an ironhead with charging problems. Been down this road, usually walking too, lol.

First thing I assume you have checked across the battery with the bike running to determine that in fact you are not charging?

After that you can check generator out put. Dissconect the A and F terminal. + of the meter to A, - to ground. Start bike, jump F to ground. You should see somewhere around 30 v dc. Dont do this for long, just short bursts. If you dont get 25 to 30v the gen is bad.

If you get 25 to 30v you are looking at a wiring problem from the gen to the regulator or the regulator itself. Typically thats what I have had for problems.

Also, you have to polarize the generator. You can do that after all is hooked up and jump A to + side of battery. Just have to touch it.

One other thing I have ran into is the generator gear falling off.

Going off memory here so bear with me. You can go to the XLforum.com and they have a sticky on it somewhere

Tattooo
03-17-2016, 4:26 PM
The old Ironhead sportys were bad about slinging the winding out of the generators because people ran the shit out of them.... Find out if it's charging??? If it isn't buy a cycle electric generator... Nothing else!!!!!!!!!!