PDA

View Full Version : Adding spacers to front fork?

kikiboi
03-02-2016, 12:21 PM
I wanted to buy a used set of forks for my bobber build, and I don't have the tires or front wheel to mock.

Could you use spacer to adjust height for the forks? Or do I need to buy a complete set of new fork tubes?

farmall
03-02-2016, 12:56 PM
You could drop some PVC pipe inside the stock tubes but it ain't gonna lift the front forks more than max travel. People have been using short PVC spacers for decades, self included, to add preload to soft fork springs and so their scoot sits a little taller.

I suggest you post the parts you are considering and pics of how you want your motorsickle to sit when finished. Someone may have a slick way to get what you want.

Freewheeler
03-03-2016, 2:35 AM
You could drop some PVC pipe inside the stock tubes but it ain't gonna lift the front forks more than max travel. People have been using short PVC spacers for decades, self included, to add preload to soft fork springs and so their scoot sits a little taller.

I suggest you post the parts you are considering and pics of how you want your motorsickle to sit when finished. Someone may have a slick way to get what you want.

+1

There's such a massive choice of secondhand forks it would be easy to get things horribly wrong.

One way of doing this would be to buy a set of forks that are already the correct length. If it was me, I would approach this by looking at the stance of other bikes using the same frame and asking the owners the size of the wheels etc and work off that. Some graph paper could also be another way by drawing a scale model and work off that.

Other considerations would be things like the fork diameter, yoke choice, spindle diameter, what kind of braking system, fork lugs etc.

Much better to work out what you want on paper first before buying a set of forks that need a lot of work, surely..

Nick