PDA

View Full Version : DIY Low Bike Ramp for Motorcycle Lift

HUNA
03-18-2015, 4:20 PM
I've been lurking on CC for years now and thought I'd finally contribute something. I chopped my Sporty a few years back as my first build and threw a Paughco frame on it. I love the look of low bikes but didn't realize what a pain in the ass they can be. One issue is how to get it on a lift. I don't have the room or money for a large lift so I'm stuck with a small one for now. My frame is about 4 inches off the ground and I've yet to use a lift that can slide underneath it. I found an aluminum ramp for sale but thought I could make one on the cheap. Here's the link if you want to just spend the money on a $75 ramp: http://www.jpcycles.com/product/910-201

I started with an $8 2x6 from Lowe's and cut it into four 2-foot sections. I then stacked them on top of each other and drew a line on the side to make my angled cuts for the ramp face. After making the cuts, I screwed the boards together. I had some paint left over from my latest deluxo rattle can paint job so my son and I made the ramp look a little cooler. My wife didn't care for the blue rectangle that's still on the grass a couple months later, but that's beside the point.

To keep the wood from sliding all over the garage as I try to roll the bike onto it, I bought a $5 rubber mat from Harbor Freight and cut it down and stuck it on the bottom. It came with adhesive on it but I still put some Gorilla Glue on there.

You simply roll your bike back onto the ramp and now you'll be able to slide the lift underneath it. My ramp is a little steeper than I bargained for so you may want to buy a 10-foot board instead of 8 and cut longer pieces and make it a little more mellow.
Do the same thing when it's time to take it off the lift. I realize there's more than one way to skin a cat but this little ramp was cheap and easy to make and it works for me. So I thought if I could save someone else the hassle of getting a low bike onto a lift I'd pass it along.

Joelski77
03-18-2015, 4:33 PM
Sweet write-up, I'm all about doing it yourself when you can. Nothing wrong with piecing it together on the cheap. Even my stock sporty is a little tricky to slide a lift under at times so I'm sure a lower bike would be a bitch. I'll be building one soon for my project bike!

burger
03-18-2015, 9:28 PM
my ironhead is about 2&3/4" off the ground. I used a home made leaverage jack. I used 2' OD gas pipe,welded together and a bar welded to it to slide under it and "leaver" it up off the ground. I can get either wheel off the ground but not both.
Ive done it your way for years tho,it works! I just needed something that I could carry with me on trips. The leaver unbolts from it and I all goes in the saddlebags

Mocnyang
03-25-2015, 8:19 PM
my ironhead is about 2&3/4" off the ground. I used a home made leaverage jack. I used 2' OD gas pipe,welded together and a bar welded to it to slide under it and "leaver" it up off the ground. I can get either wheel off the ground but not both.
Ive done it your way for years tho,it works! I just needed something that I could carry with me on trips. The leaver unbolts from it and I all goes in the saddlebags

Got any pics of this, a little confused on the explanation.

farmall
03-25-2015, 9:12 PM
Kinda works like these:

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com/forums/softail-general-discussions/46841-lever-type-lift-stand-2.html

I have one made from pipe I've used for many years. I welded it together so nothing can shift. The wood variety would be less prone to the bike sliding around on the jack but steel works OK.

Mine doesn't get much use since I found a Pit Bull lift on Craigslist.

For trips I carry an auto scissor jack scrounged from a salvage yard. Compact, easy to use and if you find the right one you don't need to mod the top to cradle a frame tube for stability.

burger
03-26-2015, 8:04 AM
Got any pics of this, a little confused on the explanation.

I will get some pics of it today. I havent ever tried to post pics here so that might take a lil time

edit--evidently I cant load a pic here. it is pretty much like what farmall's link suggests

davidabl
04-11-2015, 10:18 AM
There's more than one way to skin a cat

Unless you consult the cat :-)
If you consult the cat then there's NO way to skin a cat :-)

That's a useful item you've come up with--I went ahead and built one