CHOP CULT HOME
GALLERY   FEATURES   FORUM   EVENTS   CLASSIFIEDS   BLOGDUMP   COMMUNITY   MEMBERS   STORE  
















Mulligan Machine

Content Posted by Mulligan Machine

tt500 build : part 19

It's been a while since the last update, so here's the most recent progress.

Ignition switch located and bracket welded in. 8N3679C is the switch part number usually intended as a replacement for Ford tractors.



Headlight mini toggle mounted in the headlight bucket. 275-0325 from Radio Shack. This switch will require a relay.





12v voltage regulator from a cb350 mounted to the seat pan.



The frame, triple trees, shocks, and exhaust have all be painted. Things should be going back together very quickly now.



tt500 build : part 18

With the seat pan finished it's time to move on to padding. I bought this foam camping mat a while back with a seat in mind. It's rubberish and seems like a better match for riding than the closed cell overly dense crap I'm using on the kz440. I want to say it was around $20 but should be enough to make another seat.



A quick spray of some gray paint I had laying around before gluing pieces of the mat down.



Rough cut with a hacksaw blade after gluing 4 layers on. I should have got out the turkey carver instead as it would have done a much cleaner job of things.



Then I used an angle grinder with a somewhat worn sanding disc to do final shaping.







I got a quote from a local upholstery shop to cover it in vinyl, and it's just not budget friendly for the OMS. So, I ordered up some inexpensive diamond quilted black vinyl and some matching material for the sides. I'll post up my crappy attempt when it all gets in.



tt500 build : part 16

I've been dragging my feet figuring out how I wanted to properly finish the shock mounts. Luckily when a project stalls for a while new ideas pop up that eventually make the cut. I decided to cut some of the old mounts up and re-purpose them on the new section.

The outer shell for double shear, and the threaded internal bung.



All trimmed up and ready to tack in place.



Not bad at all.





And the other side. They have since been tacked in place ready to finish weld.



I then moved on to making a headlight bracket. It still needs some trimming, but I couldn't make much more noise for the evening.



Mounted to the tree.







On to the seat pan. I cut out a chunk of a spare fender, and went to doodling making a template for the base.



Then made from metal.



Now with mounts and a cover for the tank mount. Just needs some foam carved out and covered.







I'm going to get all of the finish welding done, and then start putting everything back together. Hopefully it will be rolling down the road in a week or two.

tt500 build : part 15

Motor is back together.



Time to do work on the frame. I got the welds on the loop nice and smooth. Front tank mounts removed.



Lower triangle gussets tacked.



The cb350 tank just wasn't working out how I had hoped, so I found a decent steel early model xt500 to use instead. Unfortunately the mounts are in a slightly different location for the aluminum tank models. The rear tank mount has been moved forward using part of the old bracket and some 2" flat stock.





Front tank mounts were made with these fancy base mount metric nuts. I sleeved them in some 1/2" tubing and tacked to the frame resembling factory mounts.





Tacked in place.







Mounted up it looks like this.





On to the rear fender mounts. The front mounts are rubber bushings from the help section at the auto parts store. They are sitting on 1/2" tubing stubs.





Then a simple flat stock bracket for the rear mount.



The brake light I got a while back fit the profile of the duckbill just right. I welded it to the inside of the fender, just needs a little bracing to make sure it holds up to the vibrations.





The to do list is getting shorter, just need to do some finish welding on brackets and figure out the seat pan. If I keep at it, this will be my Ozark Mountain Scramble ride for next year.

71 xlch : 05

Brake cable guide has been welded on.



Took a few glamor shots. Notice the Cycle Shack pipes I scored for a few bucks shipped. They aren't in perfect condition, but at least they provide some back pressure and noise reduction. The drag pipes were just stoopid loud.













Here's the wiring diagram, but I didn't use fuses for the lights.



Blew the front head gasket last night putting around the neighborhood. I don't think this bike likes me too much. Going to replace that this evening and hopefully work my way into it's good graces.

         
CHOP CULT HOME

 

ADVERTISE    |    CONTACT    |    ©2009 - 2017 ChopCult    |    REPORT ABUSE    |    CONDUCT


Chopcult on Instagram Chopcult on Pinterest Chopcult on Tumblr Chopcult on Facebook Chopcult on Twitter