1. OPEN TO ANYONE See the long winded story above about not "measuring cuffs". But, keep in mind this run was designed for hand-built choppers. Sure, you can do it on your Dyna or whatever but it's more meaningful on something you and your friends built. Adding some "challenge" to this trip makes it way more fun!
2. EXCEPT ASSHATS If you wanna act like a moron, it's a self policing deal and you'll likely get put to bed the hard way. If the campgrounds or locals have had it with you, they'll call the cops who will gladly give you a wood shampoo and then a suite at the Greybar. Let loose and have fun, but have some respect for our friends down there and your fellow riders.
3. SAN FELIPE ONLY We are not doing an organized trip to Ensenada from San Felipe. You are encouraged to go home any way you please. This is a three-night event: Friday / Saturday / Sunday.
4. WE ARE NOT ORGANIZING A RIDE FROM TEMECULAThis is the first year we aren't leading a pack from Temecula. Most people know where it is by now, and if you can't find San Felipe, you probably aren't much fun to party with anyway. We're gonna get down there early to get set up, so we'll just see ya on Friday evening. We encourage people to organize their own meet ups and riding groups. Here's the exact location for Ruben's.
5. THERE IS ACTUALLY A SCHEDULE. KINDA Here are the times for the handful of planned events:
Friday, May 12: Tacos and beer upon arrival in San Felipe
Saturday, May 13: 4-5ish: yard games 5-6pm: open practice for circle of death, all classes 6:16-6:45: rigid class motos and finals
Sunday, May 14: 3-4: open practice for circle of death 4:00-4:30: bike show prize presentation 4:30 to 5ish: circle of death swingarm class motos and finals 6ish: cocatagon
Monday, May 15: Ride yo ass home
6. UNDERSTAND HOW LODGING WORKS. This is explained in detail on the link above, but I'll make it even more simple here. There are three ways to do it.
A. Show up and try to get a first-come-first-serve palapa in Ruben's Camp for free. Or park at Ruben's and camp on the beach right in front. Either of these options are free.
C. Wing it. Just show up with no plan and find a hotel or something. What's the worst that can happen?
7. PLEASE SAY THANKS TO OUR SPONSORS. Sponsorship and the cash that Biltwell kicks in pay for a butt load of tacos and beer on Friday night and also the free camping enjoyed at Ruben's. There are no entry fees except for the Coctagon and those proceeds all go to the champion. I don't care if you made a Sharpie t-shirt that says Fuck Your Corporate Sponsors like a middle-aged Kurt Cobain might have, these sponsors are our friends. They get very little in return for their patronage and we require that they actually ride on the run. There is no vending for them (we're not here to shop, remember?) but a few might bring a couple things to hand out to EDR riders, so pay attention and you might end up with something neat. We appreciate 'em and hope you do to.
8. THERE'S LOTS OF OTHER STUFF TO DO DOWN THERE.I'll get around to posting another blog soon with some ideas for day trips and diversions so you don't just drink your bad self to death on the beach. Since we are in San Felipe for an extra day this year, you might as well get out and explore a little.
9. MOM'S GONNA BE PISSED. Yes we know it's Mother's Day weekend. Bring momma. Please keep in mind that this is an adult event where some adult shit goes down so don't bring kids, motorhomes etc. Please limit four-wheeled vehicles to chase-support-just in case trucks.
10. HIT ME UP WITH ANY QUESTIONS. If I still haven't answered 'em all by this point, please hit me at EDR@biltwellinc.com
A big group of us will leave together from Mo's at 0800 on Thursday, but undoubtedly plenty of riders get left in the dust going through traffic leaving town. Know the route, stick to it and you can catch back up at the next gas stop. If you can't do it from memory, you should print this out and have it with you. Once you leave Temecula there are plenty of places where your phone is not going to work so don't depend on it.