My motto is...

...If you can't beat 'em, might as well look better.

Wasn't a boyscout, and never made one in school, so this was my first time fooling around with a pinewood derby car. So my boy brings one home from church a couple weeks ago, and in true Dailey fassion, we wait til the night before he needs it to start on it. I've got to admit it was cool watching him pick up a block and sandpaper for the first time.
This is what we ended up with. It ain't the fastest, but it took best in show twice this week, and he's stoked...
                                 although he may not look like it!
If anyone out there know's the trick on making it go faster, hit me up. It couldn't weigh in over 5oz, and this one is right on the money. I'm thinking weight placement is the trick?

Commented on 3-3-2012 At 10:46 pm

When I'z in cubscouts my dad carved me a vintage sprintcar looking pinewood derby car, we painted it candyapple red...petroleum jelly on the axels won me a race...true story.

Commented on 3-3-2012 At 11:55 pm

The wheels on that one look different than the ones we had but what we did was put graphite powder on the axle then made a hub cap type deal with some of that metal tape and filled that with more graphite. For the weight we drilled holes in the bottom of the car, melted lead fishing weights and poured it in the holes. won a race or two with while my brother went for the looks and made some that looked like la mans cars.

Commented on 3-4-2012 At 01:43 am

haha thats cool as! your son will learn a lot from you bro hey so ya into church thats cool too..........

Commented on 3-4-2012 At 10:01 pm

just remembered.....we cleaned-up the wheels with fine sandpaper too

Commented on 3-4-2012 At 10:17 pm

weight placement, graphite, and solid one piece axles, as opposed to the nail-in axles that came with mine. wedge shaped, and the weight towards the middle-front. carve out a spot in the middle for it to sit flush with the "belly" of the car. thats what mine was. but i had a slingshot dragster look to it with pipes and shit. still got it too lol.check your rules, because some places dont allow the solid axles. just my 0.02 good luck!

Commented on 3-5-2012 At 03:37 pm

tight men, thanks for the input!

Commented on 3-5-2012 At 04:35 pm

One trick we used to do was take the axles and polish them makes them lighter and move faster

Commented on 5-21-2012 At 10:20 pm

the weights in the undercarrige are right on the money, alond with the solid axels, make sure you graphite the shit out of them to reduce the friction... and a nice solid coating right before it goes on the track isn't the worst thing either. you can also tunel the center, and insert a ball bearing. keep in mind the weight. hold a magnet in the back while it's at the top of the track, and when you release, it sounds the baring forward, and almost acts like a turbo. i know, i was a huge nerd. but hey i won. hope it helps out the little booger brah, i can't wait till mines old enough so we can put something together!
GOOD LUCK!!!

Recent Blogs

SAMHAIN

Matt Jackson's 47 Knuckle

Merry Samhain

Last Saturday Night, for One Night Only. SLC, Utah.

On Saturday night Dice Magazine and Bolts Action teamed up with Super Top Secret to launch Issue 58.
Salt Lake came out in full force and we threw one hell of a party. We asked Andy from Pangea Speed to help me out with "Chopper Challenges", a series of games(old and new) to get the crowd participating and see how high we could raise the bar. We started with the Slow Race, then the 2X4 Challenge, Pin The Mustache on the Hipster, Chopper Piñata, and the grand finale was the Launch Ramp contest which came down to two dudes who both went about 40 feet out on their sporties! 500 people lining the alleyway of Super Top Secret and no one got hurt, no fights, and the cops didn't get called, we were literally playing the odds! We moved everyone inside as God's Revolver went on around 10:30 and we started the Mini Ramp Jam for the following 45 minutes, so many local rippers it was insane. 900 PBR's were consumed and 15 cases of Peligroso Tequila, yikes! It was a night to remember and we definitely have big shoes to fill for the next one.
Here are some photos of the evening. The BOSS shots are from Steven Stone,

and here are some randoms from all over the place, some showing the room before the kick off.

What a fantastic time. So many thanks to Jake Hobbs, Andy Carter and Jeremy Jones. And too Steve Stone and all at Super Top Secret. Lets do it again!!!!

More on ignition weights and such

I went to buy new weights, but all I could get quickly was a full set of points with all the hardware, too. That's okay; I'll have some extra stuff for about the same money. Racerjim made a good point about checking to be sure the sides of the cone would clear a new set of weights and yet it appears that one side is a bit tight.

So I filed it down a bit and cleaned out the shavings.

I have messaging back and forth with HaWgRyder, too. I was trying to figure out his tip about drilling a hole in the points plate to allow the weights to be lubricated without pulling the points plates. Hopefully, I am following what he said correctly. His suggestion was a 3/8 inch hole about the 7 o'clock position. And don't try to drill with the plate installed in the cone.

Get this wire out of the way.

Center punch.

Center drill to start a hole.

Step drill just like OCC does.

Seems good.

A quick look and you can see the posts.

And check the springs, too.

But with everything in place, oops that's not a great place for a hole.

Make a new hole there as well.

That works.

I'm going to try these roller bearing style weights this time.

A little bit of grease.

All reassembled.

Weights into the cone.

New stand offs from the kit. Timing marks nice and lined up.

Hmmm... lots of extra hardware from the kit.

Yep, the old stand offs had washer and lock washers.

Let's redo that.

All back together. I swapped the tiny allen heads for the phillips from the kit to make it easier to mess with on the side of the road.

More Stroker breathing

Another suggestion I got to improve my breathing was to get rid of the chain oiler style breather and go with a simple straight fitting.

Pull the hose clamp and hose.

Remove breather fitting.

Get a Straight 1/4" NPT x 3/8" hose barb fitting from the hardware store. I put some pipe tape on it not to seal it, but to keep the brass and aluminum thread from galling together.

Install fitting.

Install longer hose, and hopefully that will help some more.