My motto is...

...If you can't beat 'em, might as well look better.

Wasn't a boyscout, and never made one in school, so this was my first time fooling around with a pinewood derby car. So my boy brings one home from church a couple weeks ago, and in true Dailey fassion, we wait til the night before he needs it to start on it. I've got to admit it was cool watching him pick up a block and sandpaper for the first time.
This is what we ended up with. It ain't the fastest, but it took best in show twice this week, and he's stoked...
                                 although he may not look like it!
If anyone out there know's the trick on making it go faster, hit me up. It couldn't weigh in over 5oz, and this one is right on the money. I'm thinking weight placement is the trick?

Commented on 3-3-2012 At 10:46 pm

When I'z in cubscouts my dad carved me a vintage sprintcar looking pinewood derby car, we painted it candyapple red...petroleum jelly on the axels won me a race...true story.

Commented on 3-3-2012 At 11:55 pm

The wheels on that one look different than the ones we had but what we did was put graphite powder on the axle then made a hub cap type deal with some of that metal tape and filled that with more graphite. For the weight we drilled holes in the bottom of the car, melted lead fishing weights and poured it in the holes. won a race or two with while my brother went for the looks and made some that looked like la mans cars.

Commented on 3-4-2012 At 01:43 am

haha thats cool as! your son will learn a lot from you bro hey so ya into church thats cool too..........

Commented on 3-4-2012 At 10:01 pm

just remembered.....we cleaned-up the wheels with fine sandpaper too

Commented on 3-4-2012 At 10:17 pm

weight placement, graphite, and solid one piece axles, as opposed to the nail-in axles that came with mine. wedge shaped, and the weight towards the middle-front. carve out a spot in the middle for it to sit flush with the "belly" of the car. thats what mine was. but i had a slingshot dragster look to it with pipes and shit. still got it too lol.check your rules, because some places dont allow the solid axles. just my 0.02 good luck!

Commented on 3-5-2012 At 03:37 pm

tight men, thanks for the input!

Commented on 3-5-2012 At 04:35 pm

One trick we used to do was take the axles and polish them makes them lighter and move faster

Commented on 5-21-2012 At 10:20 pm

the weights in the undercarrige are right on the money, alond with the solid axels, make sure you graphite the shit out of them to reduce the friction... and a nice solid coating right before it goes on the track isn't the worst thing either. you can also tunel the center, and insert a ball bearing. keep in mind the weight. hold a magnet in the back while it's at the top of the track, and when you release, it sounds the baring forward, and almost acts like a turbo. i know, i was a huge nerd. but hey i won. hope it helps out the little booger brah, i can't wait till mines old enough so we can put something together!
GOOD LUCK!!!

Recent Blogs

Oley, PA Antique MC Swap Meet 2014

Event Information
Event Name Antique Motorcycle Club of America National Meet
Event Date/Time Friday, April 25, 2014  -  Saturday, April 26, 2014
Event Type Motorcycle Show
Event Description An antique-bike show rivaling the country’s best museum exhibits.
City Oley
State PENNSYLVANIA
Phone (610) 948-4553
Event URL www.antiquemotorcycle.org/index.php?page=nat-l-meets-road-runs
Email oleyfleamarket@comcast.net

April 25-26
Perkiomen Chapter National Meet
Oley, PA
(610) 948-4553
oleyfleamarket@comcast.net

One of the best times of the year: Oley's here already; see ya there!

Low Rider Roller & Gas Tanks For Sale

Matt is selling a titled 78 Low Rider roller w/welded on hard tails and some flamed gas tanks. Email him directly for the details@ mattlevan@yahoo.com

Flood Run - Spring 2014

The 2014 Spring Flood Run was cold but definitely warmer than last year.  I layered up and rode my Road King.  I left the windshield at home and opted for my Gringo and smoke bubble shield.

I arrived at the Beach Bar a little before 10am, snapped a few photos and left before the crowd (the run officially starts at 10:30).

I arrived in Diamond Bluff while vendors were still busy setting up at the Nauti Hawg.

I continued south to Maiden Rock.  There was a strong wind off the lake and waves were crashing against the shore.

In my opinion, the Wisconsin side of the run is much better than the Minnesota side.  I prefer the roads, the views, and the towns.

I reached the southern point of the run, Winona, MN.

I headed north on the Minnesota side for a little bit but cut back into Wisconsin at Nelson.  At this point, the towns were quite busy and the sun had come out but that was short-lived.  As I continued north it got cloudy.

Here's Maiden Rock on my way back north.  It was busy, but not as busy as when the weather is really nice.  The run falling on Easter weekend probably didn't help either.  This run has had up to 30,000 bikes in the past and better weather always helps turnout.

The run supports Gillette Children's Hospital so be sure to always buy a wristband!

In spite of the chilly weather and the fact I hit rain heading home through the Twin Cities, I had fun and covered over 250 miles.  Don't miss the Fall Flood Run on September 20th!