BORN-FREE 6 ?

Wow it's hard to believe that BF5 was almost a month ago..all the planning and work that goes into this show( for everyone involved) is over in a blink of an eye. The dust has finally settled a bit and unfortunately for us we need to make a decision on BF6. The site needs a commitment very soon or the dates will be gone and park rented to someone else. We had a great show and if definitely was much bigger than the previous year.. is that good or bad not really sure? We had a lot of growing pains this year and some drama but that's life. We can't please everyone and some don't want it even if we could. I did learn some things this year... The show is not going to work for everyone ( including builders, vendors, sponsors or spectators) & that's ok, we also need  to thicken our skin a bit .When you put all your time & effort, you pour your heart and soul into something you love and then people trash you it's a tough pill to swallow...but that's the deal and we get it. We also need more help..a lot more and lastly if we  do the show again we need to get back control of it before it goes the wrong direction. Oh.. I also forgot to mention we did not sell the show
..infact it's never been discussed so don't believe rumors or spread em. If you want to know something just ask us..      I found this flyer from the first show..man that was fun!

Commented on 7-21-2013 At 06:11 pm

Love the Show, being there, a part of it. was great, took all I could do to be there, an will go thru Hell an High Water. to be there again! hope you make it happen. To bad about the negative feedback. the positive should out weigh that by a long shot! thx for your time an hard werk. BF6!

Commented on 7-21-2013 At 08:05 pm

The show was the business man, haters are gonna hate no matter what!! You cats did an amazing job and like Mrflameman57 said the positives out weigh the negatives(none in my opinion) by far. Keep up the good work brother and I can't wait for next years show.

Commented on 7-22-2013 At 04:28 am

I couldn't even begin to imagine the work it takes to make that show happen...but its an awesome show, you guys did a great job!!! and looking forward to bf6...thanks for the hard work....

Commented on 7-22-2013 At 05:18 am

BF5 was my first Born free show,I loved and cant wait to go to BF6 and more. Whatever you guys are doing.....Its working. Keep it up.

Commented on 7-22-2013 At 06:51 am

I've been to every Born Free to date and they have gotten bigger and better each year. I totally loved BF2 the most in Signal Hill (but I was merely a spectator there... so that explains it)(free beer). This year we had a double wide booth and sold more t-shirts than at any other single "vendor" event in our Lady Hump / Gasser Lounge history! CRFyou shirts were a fucking smash!!! ~ Thanks everyone! Can't believe how hot it was but whatever... sorry for everyone stuck in traffic... hope we quenched your thirst if you swung by? can't wait for next year... we might triple the booth! Mike and Grant; just do your thing! Anyone there and unhappy isn't as unhappy as the millions who never had the chance to attended a BF... :-(

Commented on 8-22-2013 At 12:04 pm

I have been to all but number 1.
I think they have all gotten getter each year. That said , I can only hope tree is another. Yeah it was hot, yeah it was crowded, if it wasn't the haters woulda complained about that too.
Maybe it's time to start charging for admission. It would weed out some of the freeloaders and whiners. I'd pay for the experience.
IF that was the last, I thank you for what you for what you have done. It's been a great ride.

Commented on 10-4-2013 At 07:09 pm

when will that date for born free 6 be up? me and a few of my buds are going to ride are scoots down route 66 to get there next year going to do it on a 10 foot shovel chop and a 67 iron chop that triple D and i are building as of right now

Recent Blogs

More on 4th gear seal drivers - George's Garage Tool

So I need to put the seal between 4th gear and mainshaft again. Last time, an internet friend lent me his. I figure by the time you need a special tool a second time, you need to own it. I really didn't quite have tooling and stock to make building one worth it.  So I decided to buy a similarly listed tool from George's Garage. I have always heard good things about George's tool and it was about $30 less than the JIMS and still made in the USA.

The funny thing about the George's tool is that its not the same as the JIMS tool. It has a smaller inner diameter. I thought maybe I had gotten one that had been misboxed or something. So I called George's number and left a message. I got a call back pretty quickly and talked to George himself. He is very friendly, knowledgeable and helpful. I told him about the situation. I knew it "wasn't for 4 speeds", but I thought it would work. He told me that his was different than JIMS for a specific reason. JIMS was designed to drive the seal over the seal protector sleeve while still on the mainshaft. George had heard reports of the seal protector sleeve getting jammed in the driver, so he build his differently. Use the seal protector sleeve to get the seal mostly in place and remove the sleeve before using the driver.

All that to say, George's Garage is great place for tools, but you really need to know what tool you need.

So I could send it back for refund, pay shipping again, spend the extra money to buy a JIMS tool and wait another week on it, or get the George's tool to work.

I can make it work with some help from a friend. Here's the tool and a spare mainshaft for fit checking.

See too small.

About 0.085 inch and it needs to be 1.035 inch.

Lummie's all-in-one machine should be able to punch this out no problem

Square the tool to the head.

I need to go about two inches deep, but instead of a travel gauge we just pencil marked 2 one inch marks on the boring bar.

The bottom relief of this boring tool wasn't made for this tight of hole, so we had to turn this far to clear correctly. Ideally cutting would be just a tick under horizontal center line. Not by the book, but it should work for taking 0.005 inch passes in aluminum.

Cut, measure, cut, pass again. Once the calipers say you're there, double check with the spare shaft. Good to go.

Not OSHA approved, but some emery cloth and wooden dowel will clean up the cuts.

Hopefully the tool gets the seal installed and it stays put this time.

Satan's Wrath

Mama Tried 2015 - Part 5 - Trouble

Trouble was the headlining band at the Mama Tried pre-party at the Harley-Davidson Museum.  I'll be honest, I was really excited to see Mount Salem but I had no idea who Trouble was.  Well, shame on me.  It's embarrassing really.  If you don't know Trouble, learn a little bit about the band's history here, and then go start buying their albums (I just started with their self-titled album and will probably pick up Psalm 9 next).  They are one of the earliest doom metal bands dating all the way back to 1979.  They rocked and it was a great way to get an education.

Check out bassist Bobby Good Times in a Heavy t-shirt.

Here's a bunch of photos from their set:

I took some video when they decided to pay tribute to Black Sabbath and cover their song "Supernaut".  Some guy decided to stage dive into the crowd and took out an innocent bystander very close to me. I'm not sure if that was the plan or if he thought the crowd would catch him. The crowd wasn't packed very tightly and just let him fall.  Amazingly, he managed to hold onto his beer and seemed unhurt.  I'm not sure the same can be said for the person that he destroyed.

After the official pre-party was over, the party continued for many of us at the Rah Mah Dah where Ruth was slinging Coors Light and overpriced mixed drinks from behind the bar.

Lots of photos from the bike show will be posted next but they're taking a while to edit since I took so many.  Hold tight.

AMF'R Belt Buckles

Limited supply available in the Freakin Shop...

Hand made by Banged Up Bob himself.

Limited Edition Harley Shirts With Dice Issue 60.

We teamed up with HD and had them remake us 50 of these limited edition T shirts. Blanks like this don't exist so they had them hand sewn and then printed. And all done in Milwaukee. It's an old Willie G design and one of our personal favourites. They came out great. They are going to be available with issue 60 as a collectors pack to be released at 9am California time on Monday morning March the 9th from HERE

killer!!!

Mama Tried 2015 - Part 4 - Pre-Party

The Mama Tried pre-party was mostly about the music but there were a few bikes on display too such as this Sposrtster.

The red, white, and blue back-lighting made for some very cool photos but, for better or worse, it makes seeing any detail on the bikes nearly impossible.

The venue was cool.  It's called "The Garage".  I think the museum uses it for all sorts of events, not just concerts.

There were a lot of people there and I ran into a bunch of people I knew.  It was also fun to see two photographers that I admire, Josh Kurpius and Mikey Arnold (aka Mikey Revolt), busy taking photos.

Photos of Trouble are up next!