Mike D's Legal Eagle

This bike was a nagged-out test mule kicking around Biltwell HQ for several years. It was loaned to out-of-towners on a regular basis. While it served its purpose, its ugly "Classic" tank and riser combo was hard to look at. After taking all that abuse with nary a complaint, the old girl finally earned some love. Mike D's Sex Panther was high and tight, so he was looking for a simple project, something more suited for daily commuting than his rigid XL. Enter the Legal Eagle, or "The Legal Beagle" as spectators of Mike's unorthodox refurb sometimes called it.

Owner/Location: Mike D. Ellis - Murrieta, Calif.

Engine, year and make, model, modifications: 2007 XL883. Joker Machine Air Cleaner, Biltwell Exhaust Pipe Kit, Power Commander

Frame: Stock

Fork: Stock, shaved and powdercoated

Chassis mods: Cut off the rear fender stays and created a loop out of 5/8" rod. Epic pain in the ass.

Tire/wheel size and style: Stock 19" sportster front wheel, stock 16" rear wheel, 100/90-19 Dunlop front, 150/80-16 Dunlop rear

Favorite thing about this bike: Shocks!

Next modification will be: Redo the license plate mount.

Other mods, accessories, cool parts, etc: Duane Ballard seat, narrowed and flat bottomed tank by Special 79, nacelle, paint by SpaGetty

Thanks to: John Ellis, Billdozer, McGoo, Spencer Getty, Wompy, Jay Roche, Progressive Suspension and Duane Ballard

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 03:12 pm

What brand and or type of rear and front signals are those? Look very low profile...

Thanks

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 03:14 pm

Another one well done. Mike does beautiful work.

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 04:34 pm

Nice! I hope that my current project comes out looking a little bit similar to this...eventually...

Mike, which Progressives did you use there? Also, that headlight nacelle is rad! More info?!

Dig it!

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 04:43 pm

Looks good!

I'd like to see a couple of more pictures and/or a description of the exhaust bracket. I'm always curious how people mount their pipes on the rubbermount bikes.

I'll echo SHARP's question: what brand of signals are those?

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 05:23 pm

signals are joker machine

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 06:45 pm

You'd think it would be illegal for one bike to be full of so much awesome.

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 07:03 pm

Signals are Joker Machine, the Nacelle is an H-D factory accessory for narrow glides that got discontinued a 5 or 6 years ago, the progressives are 13" 412's I believe. The bike rides like a dream and is tons of fun.

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 07:04 pm

Motorradfahrer, the exhaust clamp that goes around the pipes was a one off by Wompy. The bracket that it attached to goes from the pipes to the rear of the sprocket cover. That way the pipes stay supported but it's all tied to the motor, not the frame.

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 08:09 pm

Wait, wait, wait, "a nagged-out test mule kicking around Biltwell HQ for several years. It was loaned to out-of-towners on a regular basis. While it served its purpose, its ugly "Classic" tank and riser combo was hard to look at. After taking all that abuse with nary a complaint." Are we talking about a bike or are we talking about Mike D. I'm a little confused here.

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 09:44 pm

One Q about the 'legal' part here with the Legal (B)Eagle.. turn sigs yes,
but I thought front fenders were "legally" required in CA, though it's obviously not enforced too much nowadays ?

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 10:33 pm

Davidabl, I did the best I could but I still wanted to lose the front fender. Besides that, It's pretty legal. Baffles in the pipes, lit license plate, turn signals, etc.

Commented on 12-17-2012 At 11:48 pm

Mike, that turned out really nice man. Glad I could help in some way!

Commented on 12-18-2012 At 05:40 pm

I have those joker machine front signals as well. Bright as $h!t if anyone is asking. I have them still in the 1x1 inch housing, which it looks like you pulled them out from and mounted direct to the fork. Love the idea of a GPS as a speedo; certainly a space-saver i'd imagine. Awesome scoot.

Commented on 12-18-2012 At 07:23 pm

This is a really great looking bike. Lots of super cool details - it all really hangs together. Like that nacelle.

Commented on 12-18-2012 At 08:39 pm

Say Mike, I'd guess that a one of those U-shaped fork braces with a little plate between the arms might qualify as a "legal" "fender?"

Commented on 12-18-2012 At 08:41 pm

,,And, yes, it's about as stylish as you can get while being "legal"...or at least 95% "legal' :-)

Commented on 12-18-2012 At 10:12 pm

I know its kinda unwritten law to buy a loaner bike if you crash it... But since I rode it in its stock state and didn't crash it does the same apply now that you made it all fancy? C'mon Mike I want that thing!

Commented on 1-14-2013 At 07:40 am

looks like ive got to add this to my list of favorite sportys. im gonna have to save some cash and get a load equalizer and those front blinkers, they look super clean!

Commented on 1-21-2013 At 10:42 pm

I know what im gonna build for my next daily! This thing is sweet, I wish I could get my hands on one of those nacelles. Anyone have one laying around ??