Aaron Elliott's Pint-Sized Salinas Boys Bobber

Aaron Elliott is Cole Foster's protege at renowned hot rod and chopper shop Salinas Boys in central California. Aaron's diminutive motorcycle started life as a '74 Honda CL360 before undergoing extensive refab by Aaron's capable hands. in 2011 Guy Bolton featured Aaron's cherry-red custom on the pages of Greasy Kulture magazine. Some weeks later photos from that story appeared on BikeEXIF. That's when sparks started to fly.

Regular readers of BikeEXIF.com know its currator and publisher Chris Hunter to be a savvy tastemaster on the subject of two-wheel transit. The same can't always be said of Mr. Hunter's readers, however. When they were published, both the feature in Greasy Kulture and BikeEXIF's followup made it clear that Aaron's little red riceburner was built purely for its creator's enjoyment. Nevertheless, that didn't stop several keyboard commandos from sharing their thoughts on this pint-sized bobber.

A bloke named Elven was the most vocal in his disdain. "With no suspension, no lights and rubbish old tyres, where would you ride it? Where could anyone ride it legally?" Chris Hunter and others were quick to respond in Aaron's defense, but British cyber bully Elven persisted. "I build my own bikes to ride fast on mountain roads… (what a) waste of good aluminum." Thanks for weighing in, Elven.

Frequent readers of this humble site know I loathe the venomous blathering of douchebags like Elven. Spirited debate is one thing, and we support anyone who engages in a respectful fashion. To brazenly state personal opinion as rote fact is another matter entirely. Unfortunately, cyberspace's black hole of anonymity has convinced millions that heavy-handed rhetoric passes as civil discourse. It doesn't, and comments like Elven's prove my point.

In the age of social media, man's sense of entitlement seems to have grown at a rate even faster than the advancement of processing speed. Everyone—this writer included—has popped off on a Facebook wall, comment box or message board. Purging bile is human nature, like shitting one's pants after binge drinking. Unlike a hangover, however, digital shit-talking leaves a poop stain that stinks forever.

Just ask Elven.

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 01:11 pm

what a cool bike! you work with what you've got. i wish my harley looked this good.

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 01:15 pm

I would ride the hell out of that thing. A very good job to say the least.

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 01:20 pm

Beautiful Bike !

Haters doesn't matter, this beauty is obviously not for people who likes to ride a stock BMW.

The work on aluminium is great, That nacelle is AWESOME !!!

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 01:24 pm

I burst out laughing when I read that bit (I build my own bikes to ride fast....). Sure you do mate.
I do enjoy Chopcult's 99% wanker free status.

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 01:34 pm

This little thing would be a ton of fun here in the foothills. Turn a few heads in town, too.

Sometimes I understand when you see an ugly bike on BikeEXIF - it happens. But shit, it's in the eye of the beholder, right?

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 02:18 pm

I've loved everything about this bike since the first time I saw it. You can really see Cole's mentoring in the tank, lowered fork and use of aluminum. (Don't get me started on the drool fest that is the Moon Rocket). The nacelle and seat are those great little gems that make me wish I'd done it first.

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 02:26 pm

That bike is class all the way. Beautiful!

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 02:27 pm

its a great looking bike, little bikes like this let me know a blast can be turned into something cool with some ingenuity and work. :D

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 02:52 pm

Soooooo cleaaannnn!

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 03:11 pm

Wow...and, wow.

Where's that tail light from? Looks sweet.

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 04:02 pm

It's got lights... only the important ones.

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 04:14 pm

Amazing bike. Here is a great example of the motor not making the bike cool. If more people made bikes like this Japanese motors wouldn't have a bad wrap.

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 05:06 pm

I Watched this bike come together first hand. tears, sweat, grime, and a passion for his craft show I'n every line. it poised me off that certian people deam it " I'n Rideable... The obviously Didnt see the pictures I'n g.k.m of Aaron ruling through the salinas fields..

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 06:06 pm

Awesome right up...bang on with the entitlement issue..

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 06:24 pm

It's incredible when someone pulls off something truly unique. This builder did just that. The photos exude quality of workmanship and attention to detail.

Excellent.

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 07:09 pm

Fuck the haters that's a sick little ride and great build by the Sboyz!!

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 07:48 pm

Haters gonna hate.

That front end may possibly be the classiest piece I've ever seen.

Commented on 4-18-2012 At 09:50 pm

Hell of a mix of flat track and drag lines, would hark a bit of it to old school wood track racers. It's a stylin bike with serious love put in by Aaron.

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 12:17 am

Lemme see it for a minute, I'll show that dork what mountain riding's all about. The first thing I noticed about this bike is the clean clutch cable setup, love it.

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 12:48 am

ART is such a simple little word, so strange that so many people don't understand it. And don't know it when they see it. This little bike and it's critics are a case in point,I must say. Something that's clearly a work of art deserves
Being looked at with an open mind..even if it doesn't push all the right buttons for you right away there's things it can teach you. True of Jackson Pollock and
Picasso too. :-)

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 12:52 am

Does seem like an awful lot of work to put into a lowly donor bike...
But maybe then that's part of what it's got to say...

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 01:16 am

bike looks absolutely amazing. super clean and simple. I would ride it every where.

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 02:13 am

holy shit that thing is clean! havn't seen a bike like this style ever...freakin evolutionairy

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 03:18 am

oh hey my name is elven have you seen my goldwing? I bloody well seem to have lost it it looks just like all these other pleasure barges. What is that thing supposed to be it dudn't have no bloody lights or even a drink holder? But on a serious note the salinas boys could make my lawnmower ooze class they are rulerz! nice bike

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 04:48 am

I hope to see it at that event in Salinas May5!!

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 10:27 am

It was after Aaron's Honda appeared on Bike EXIF that I decided to stop supplying Chris with GKM feature material.

Not Chris's fault, it was the first 'showcase' site of its kind, but lots of the people who post there have either never ridden a motorcycle or think anything other than a stock-ish, modern bike is the devil's work.

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 03:45 pm

better to be thought of as an asshole than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. I got to ride the Scarab in Japan with Aaron on his Honda. Both totally un-rideable piles....

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 04:51 pm

of shit!!!!

Commented on 4-19-2012 At 04:53 pm

Where did that cool 2 into 1 intake come from?

Commented on 4-20-2012 At 03:23 am

This bike kicks ass!!! I'd ride the shit outa it, with a big shit-eatin' grin on my ugly mug !!!! My current looooong term build is a S&S Paughcoson...Harley clone and I don't give a fuck what others think of it!!! FTW...ride what you have and be happy people....or eat shit and die!!!

Commented on 4-20-2012 At 03:23 am

ELVEN: 1 year later, still not laid.....

Commented on 4-21-2012 At 11:01 am

Very cool, best Honda custom I can remember ... Great work

Commented on 4-22-2012 At 01:40 am

That clutch setup and nacelle are pure class. Beautiful bike.

Commented on 4-29-2012 At 03:38 am

I missed this feature somehow... I've got a 360 project coming up so it's nice to see such a clean, slick looking build. Screw the haters, they don't know what's good.