CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default FXR Shovelhead, now what?

I've always loved the looks of the old FL's, smooth lines, classic looks....... and I now have an 84' FXR which will never look like what I love. But I sure ain't leaving it stock, so I need ideas. I searched the JJ FXR thread and can't find what I need.
    I'm leaving the swingarm, but might extend it because it looks stubby in the ass the way it is, but what to do about the belt? Lower is a must, in the front and back. Want to ditch the Sporty fender. It will have a double seat for mama to ride. Maybe wide glide forks, a 21" front eventualy?
    Pics and suggestions are more than welcome.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sounds like you'd be better off to sell the FXR and find a FL. By the time you spend what you are talking on the FXR plus what you could get by selling your bike you'd be able to find a nice FL,

Get Adobe Flash player

Very true and don't think I haven't thought of that, but this bike has sentimental value and by me getting and keeping it it's staying in the family, sorta.
    And if I fix it up right, it will be one of the few nice ones out there and will be different, in a good way.

Get Adobe Flash player

I was looking at that pic thread again and found this one

me likey long time. It's evo but the frame is the same. Looks like progressive short shocks and a shorter set of forks, mine are super long so maybe 4" under?

Get Adobe Flash player

i dont remember who makes em but some one makes upper fork tube covers that fit on 39 mm fnarrow glide forks. i always thought they looked really good.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Turning a FXR into an FL

So your gonna turn it into a FLT pretty much.

Get Adobe Flash player

Please don't bollocks up a decent FXR. Either sell it and buy what you want, or keep it and buy what you want. FXR's suck at being anything other than what they are. Trying to make a frisco'd chopper or a lowered Road King out of one is expensive, never looks right, and wastes the advantages the FXR has over pretty much any other Harley. It's your bike and you can do what you like with it, but FXRs are performers, not lookers in the traditional sense.

Get Adobe Flash player

I think my first post may have been misunderstood so let me clarify. I like the FL but I know the FXR can never look like one so I'm not going to try. However I do want to change the look and not to a frisco chopper, more like the one in the picture I posted which I belive is classy and well done and won't diminish the handeling characteristics of which the FXR is known for.

And I'd hate to get my own thread off topic, but how about some more pics of that bike BigOscar, looks good!
    Last edited by JaySco; 03-24-2011 at 12:29 AM.

ARBY

The FXR was designed to be a better handling motorcycle. The changes you are suggesting will defeat that endeavor. It may be best to do those things to something else.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm going to have to agree with Smitty and Arby. The changes that you're contemplating will diminish the strongest characteristic of the FXR - the handling. I'm not saying "don't change it", cause that's what we all do. But think hard about the bike's strongest asset and work to improve it.

And, I'm going to use "Bollocks" for all sorts of stuff. No idea what it means, but that's a good word.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nevermind. I'm going to hardtail it and rake the front to about 39 degrees with 26" over forks. I'm thinking of a 360 rear tire, no less than 300 anyway and a 23" front wheel. I'm going with fat bob tanks, mounted frisco style of course. 18" apes on 12" risers. And I can't decide on paint but I was thinking of making an OCC tribute themed bike. I'll only ride it 10 miles a year anyway, the rest of the time I will be waxing it with an endangered albino tigers fur cloth and unicorn tears.
    Will a 2011 goldwing engine fit in this?

Get Adobe Flash player

hahahaha that was good.dont think they read your last post. if your aiming for something like the pic you posted id say youd have a pretty slick lookin bike. i think its west eagle that makes those narrow glide tube covers i mentioned previously.

Get Adobe Flash player

On the contrary, I did read his last post and looked at the picture.

Lowering an FXR as much as it is in that picture, no matter how good it looks, will change the handling. Period. Raking the front end will also. That is all I was saying.

A team of engineers designed the FXR for very specific reasons. The result of their design is arguably the best handling motorcycle Harley ever made.

That being said, it is your bike. Do what makes you happy, I was just posting in a thread that asked, "now what?"

Get Adobe Flash player

I was curious to see how long it would take for the "dont fuck up an FXR" comments to start flying. Although the FXR pictured looks nice, many people cringe at the thought of even lowering one.
    Do what you want, but be prepared for the FXR purists to chime in. They have a cult-following for a reason.

Get Adobe Flash player

H8ter, I will think about the handling benefits of this bike, maybe I won't lower it quite that much, but it s in desperate need of some altitude adjustment and some style.
    I did ask for ideas and some ideas are to leave it alone. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. My opinion is that the bike in that pic would make me happy and I'm sure it will handle satisfactory enough to meet my standards.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree with the dont F*&k it up guys.. An FXR deserves Mids,13 inch Piggyback Shocks, Arlen Ness Fairing, Big Brakes, and lots of engine mods. This makes for quite a street weapon that will make all these lowridin, no braking, apehangin jokers jealous. May not fit into the scenester approved click, but who really cares what they think.

Just readjust your mirrors so you cant see them....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by JaySco View Post
    I was looking at that pic thread again and found this one

me likey long time. It's evo but the frame is the same. Looks like progressive short shocks and a shorter set of forks, mine are super long so maybe 4" under?
    that's the coolest FXR I've ever seen. no matter how it handles, that's bad ass!

ARBY

Quote Originally Posted by h8ter View Post
    And, I'm going to use "Bollocks" for all sorts of stuff. No idea what it means, but that's a good word.

It means, "BALLS."

Get Adobe Flash player

The one pictures is certainly killer and I can dig it. Is it the first thing I'd think of if I had an fxr?...no. Like someone else said, fxr's suck at being choppers and FL wannabe's...buuuut no reason you can't add a little of each to a fundamentaly right fxr and make it how you want it. FXR's need more swingarm and doing that first will alter the whole way you look at it. Then you can run a decent height shock and keep the lines nice. Re-do another fender and mount it lower in the struts to give the illusion of the bike being slammed. Keep the front end at maybe stock length or if you must maybe -2 under at most. Mids with some hi-way pegs for stretching, shorty risers and a nice mid-rise narrow ape like the chumps or something similar...find Billdozers FXR in the photodump, it's a great example of a not club bike, not fl wannabe, not sturgis brodana barge, but a sweet little miler that does everything well....like an fxr was designed to be.

Get Adobe Flash player

Maybe this will help you out with some ideas about attitude adjustment

http://www.trampcycle.com/gallery/custom/dyna/dyna.html

Share This