Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wolfsden
    • Nov 2010

Radial laced wheels

Anyone know where I can buy radial laced wheels front and rear like one one in this picture.
    Not looking for fat spokes.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by wolfsden; 03-19-2011, 6:17 PM.
  • mike1407
    • Jan 2010

you dont want to run one on the back, i don't think that bike is either. their just not strong enough to use with a brake, front or rear.

Comment

• kylezero
      • Feb 2011

we relaced a bmx wheel like that once wow what a bad idea can you say tacoed wheel in about 15 minutes.... looks amazing tho

Comment

• wolfsden
        • Nov 2010

Imo does look nice but not worth it if it won't work.

Comment

• bwagner
          • Oct 2009

Originally posted by kylezero
          we relaced a bmx wheel like that once wow what a bad idea can you say tacoed wheel in about 15 minutes.... looks amazing tho
          I've run radial laced 48's on my flatland bike for a while with zero issues. The deal with that is to only radial lace the non-drive side. Just as an F.Y.I., I'm not a super smooth rider, and at around 220 while riding I wasn't real light either....

Now back on task, front spool wheels laced Radially don't do too horribly, but you have to keep up on the spoke tension more than with the cross laced wheels.

Oh, and as mentioned already, Do not radial lace a rear wheel on a motorcycle. EVER

Comment

• Hooligan80
            • Jul 2010

Odd that people say this,since it looks like the '82 and '83 XS650 Heritage Specials came stock with radial laced wheels,and no one has ever complained about them not holding up.

Comment

• bwagner
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Hooligan80
              Odd that people say this,since it looks like the '82 and '83 XS650 Heritage Specials came stock with radial laced wheels,and no one has ever complained about them not holding up.
              Show us a picture of said "Radial Laced" wheels stock on those bikes. I've seen the wheels in person and while they aren't the typical "Cross" lacing, they are a modified version of a torsionally laced wheel. Radial spokes are directed straight out of the hub, at a 90 degree relative angle to the rotational forces of the wheel. The spoke sides(drive and non-drive side) on those wheels are actually pulling against each other , helping to add structural rigidity to the wheel. The spokes pulling against each other on those wheels help to fight the forces being placed on the wheel by braking/drive drain pull.

Comment

• Hooligan80
                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by bwagner
                Show us a picture of said "Radial Laced" wheels stock on those bikes. I've seen the wheels in person and while they aren't the typical "Cross" lacing, they are a modified version of a torsionally laced wheel. Radial spokes are directed straight out of the hub, at a 90 degree relative angle to the rotational forces of the wheel. The spoke sides(drive and non-drive side) on those wheels are actually pulling against each other , helping to add structural rigidity to the wheel. The spokes pulling against each other on those wheels help to fight the forces being placed on the wheel by braking/drive drain pull.
                Don't chew my head,I just know them as "Radial laced wheels".

Comment

• bwagner
                  • Oct 2009

Originally posted by Hooligan80
                  Don't chew my head,I just know them as "Radial laced wheels".
                  Hey Bud! Not trying to "Chew your head off" Just stating some points The term "Radial" means for the spokes to "radiate" straight out from the hub, I've just been building wheels for a while(bicycle and motorcycle) and was trying to help straighten a few things out is all..........

Comment

• Rob86
                    • Mar 2010

Radial spokes are directed straight out of the hub, at a 90 degree relative angle to the rotational forces of the wheel. The spoke sides(drive and non-drive side) on those wheels are actually pulling against each other , helping to add structural rigidity to the wheel. The spokes pulling against each other on those wheels help to fight the forces being placed on the wheel by braking/drive drain pull.[/QUOTE]

The man is on the money. I've had friends run radial lacing on bmx's for the front and non drive on the rear and it usually turns out to be more of a pain than it's worth. I would't trust it especially not a motorcycle but if you were going to, a spooled front like in the picture is about the only set up I could see being safe(ish) but that being said wtf is safe about most of these bikes

Comment

• wolfsden
                      • Nov 2010

Sounds like to much trouble with radials plus if you can't do both front and back just not worth it. I would like to keep them the same.
                      Other then your normal 40 cross spoke rims does any one have any pics they can post. Just want to know what my options are. They must be spokes. Thanks

Comment

• beatnbruised
                        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by wolfsden
                        Sounds like to much trouble with radials plus if you can't do both front and back just not worth it. I would like to keep them the same.
                        Other then your normal 40 cross spoke rims does any one have any pics they can post. Just want to know what my options are. They must be spokes. Thanks
                        You could always go with an 80 spoke

There are also 60 spokes, 120 spokes, twisted spoke, diamond cut spokes

Comment

• Hooligan80
                          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by wolfsden
                          Anyone know where I can buy radial laced wheels front and rear like one one in this picture.
                          Not looking for fat spokes.
                          Nick Resty from Tthe Haints might be able to direct you in the right path.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;