CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 1980 Honda CB750 Starter Problems

So I just picked up a 1980 Honda CB750 that is in good condition overall but I have not gotten it to start yet. Its a electric start only and I have not gotten any response at all from the push button. I bypassed everything and attached jumper cables directly to the starter. I only got a hum from it. So i took it out and tried again. It spins just fine. So I figured the gears where stuck and I took off the crank case and put a socked on the crack shaft and it turned without any real trouble. SO....I am confused as to why the starter will not turn the engine over?? Any help would be much appreciated??

Thanks a ton guys.

Get Adobe Flash player

Did you put power straight to the starter or to the solenoid? If it was to the solenoid the solenoid may be bad. That be the cheapest fix. If that doesn't do it then chances are it's the starter. Also the starter may spin fine when not attached to the motor, but may not have enough power to turn the motor over.

Get Adobe Flash player

Also if you need a manual hit me up. I have a factory manual in PDF format on my computer that is good for '79-'82 750's.

Get Adobe Flash player

Can I get a copy of that PDF manual? I also have a 1980 cb 750...i can help you with charging issues but I have not had issues with starter so I don't know much about that

Get Adobe Flash player

So I made a little headway. I tried jumping the start from my Jeep battery and that worked great. So does that mean that my battery is not powerful enough? My motorcycle battery reads 11.3 V. Could there be other reasons why the starter is not getting enough power?

Thanks guys

Get Adobe Flash player

Do a Load Test on the battery too - it may read 12 v , but drops when you put a load on it . This can happen if the battery is sulfated , there can be a short internally in the battery .

Get Adobe Flash player

Also - common problems are corrosion in switches , bad grounds , loose connections - but easiest is to have the battery checked for amps

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks a lot for the help guys. It ended up being the battery. Switched it out with another motorcycle battery and worked just fine.

Thanks again

Share This