CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Pipes.

Default Pipes.

The TX had a two into one when I brought it home, totally rusted out, so that went in the bin. I wanted two pipes anyway, I had some 42mm pipe so cut it up and welded it together to get the angles right then took it to an exhaust shop and asked them to bend up two of the top bends and two of the bottom bends so I could weld together a couple of pipes. The guy at the shop assured me he could bend up two pipes with the exact angles and twist, so naturally I jumped at the chance to save myself a lot of work.

Five weeks later, I picked them up and rushed home to bolt them up. FAIL! The top angle was out, so the pipes didn't follow the line of the frame down tubes, this put the bottom angle out so the pipes were pointing at the ground and the distance between the bends was 20mm longer. At least the twist was correct. Fat lot of good that did me as I had to cut and weld the pipes back together anyway.

Using the bandsaw, I cut 20mm off between the bends, then welded them together with the right amount of twist. Unfortunately, the bottom angle was way off as well so I had to cut the pipe just after the lower bend and weld the pipe up at the angle I wanted. Once happy with the angles I did the same with the other pipe, then painted them black.

For mounting, I spun up a clamp for the cylinder head on the lathe and fabricated a half circle clamp for the lower mount from 3mm steel and welded a tab to it for bolting to the original frame tabs. I then bent up some 3mm ally in a a half circle for the outer clamps and bolted it all together.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WIN_20201114_15_26_41_Scan.jpg   WIN_20201119_15_03_07_Scan.jpg   WIN_20201119_14_44_59_Scan.jpg   WIN_20201119_14_39_09_Pro.jpg   WIN_20201119_14_39_26_Pro.jpg  

Last edited by toglhot; 11-17-2021 at 1:36 AM.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

I used to dislike black exhaust pipes, but they've grown on me. I think having that bit of black on the fins helps it look right with the polished/chrome parts.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

As I’ve mentioned before on the subject of muffler shops bending pipe for you. Make an appointment first so it gets done in the same day.
    Bring your frame with the motor and tranny on it ( on a dolly with wood blocks to raise the frame off the dolly) so the guy can match the angle of the bends you’re looking for.
    Been down that road 15 years ago.

Share This