X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • davis96
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by creature
    the unicorn is absolutely rad.
    Well the unicorn is going bye-bye soon. Don't get me wrong, I LOVED that unicorn, and loved the fact that so many people hated it... but unfortunately the paint and colors are not holding up well to the elements/gas like i'd hoped... not to mention the rest of the tank gets surface rust every week or so.

So today I pulled the tank, welded up a new better looking frisco mount up front and closed in the unused portion of the front of the tunnel.. like this:

Then I'll be doing the tank and rear fender with rattle cans in some sort of metalflake/candy design.

Tomorrow I'm going to try my hand at moving the petcock bung to the rear frisco position (may be biting off a little more than I can chew as my crappy little welder is like a retarded oaf that loves to eat through thin metal...)
    Any of you guys got tips for me as far as not destroying my bung and/or tank with this wire-feed 90amp FCAW? I know turn the amperage all the way down and go slow with short bursts... I heard somewhere that petcock bung can be tacked then silver-soldered in with good results

Comment

• WarGhost
      • Oct 2009

Not bad so far. Inspiration right down to the FTW sticker on the points cover. I dig it.

Comment

• davis96
        • Feb 2011

Originally posted by WarGhost
        Not bad so far. Inspiration right down to the FTW sticker on the points cover. I dig it.
        imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, right? haha, youre inspiring the masses

Comment

• Slurpee
          • Jan 2011

Hey man,
          Just curious about your bratty tail. I am doing teh same thing on my XS and have a lame shop too.... well not super lame but no pipe bender. Just wondering how you went about bending the tubing without a bender? or do you have access to one?

Still loving the bike and the fact that you jsut went for it.... hack it all up and hope for the best!

Comment

• dckareem
            • Jan 2011

a great brat style you have there. I am waiting for my chance to work on something new. Good inspiration.

Comment

• davis96
              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Slurpee
              Hey man,
              Just curious about your bratty tail. I am doing teh same thing on my XS and have a lame shop too.... well not super lame but no pipe bender. Just wondering how you went about bending the tubing without a bender? or do you have access to one?

Still loving the bike and the fact that you jsut went for it.... hack it all up and hope for the best!
              well i didnt have a legit tubing bender, but I did go out and buy a 12 ton hydraulic pipe bender from Harbor Freight for like 70 bucks

Comment

• Slurpee
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by davis96
                well i didnt have a legit tubing bender, but I did go out and buy a 12 ton hydraulic pipe bender from Harbor Freight for like 70 bucks
                AWESOME!!!! That's exactly what I am planning to go do. HA HA!
                Did you fill your pipes with sand and heat them or just straight up bend them?
                AND did you do each side individually or were you able to bend them both at the same time some way so they were exactly the same?

Comment

• davis96
                  • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Slurpee
                  AWESOME!!!! That's exactly what I am planning to go do. HA HA!
                  Did you fill your pipes with sand and heat them or just straight up bend them?
                  AND did you do each side individually or were you able to bend them both at the same time some way so they were exactly the same?
                  nah no sand or anything, the bends weren't extreme enough to make any sort of noticeable kink in the tube or anything, especially since it was 1/8 wall DOM.. pretty thick stuff. As far as the bends, it was just a whole bunch of eyeballing to get them close enough for comfort.

Comment

• jim60491
                    • Nov 2009

totally sick

Comment

• Slurpee
                      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by davis96
                      nah no sand or anything, the bends weren't extreme enough to make any sort of noticeable kink in the tube or anything, especially since it was 1/8 wall DOM.. pretty thick stuff. As far as the bends, it was just a whole bunch of eyeballing to get them close enough for comfort.
                      Right arm, I'll get some pics of mine up after I get it done.
                      Thanks for the ghetto shop inspiration and advice!!!

Comment

• Wildh2oskier
                        • Mar 2011

Yep, this I like.

Comment

• davis96
                          • Feb 2011

Little update: made a new front tank mount, welded and filled about 3" of the front of the tunnel

and shaved one of the petcocks and moved the other one to the rear frisco style.

sneak peek of the new paint... who says you can't achieve maximum flake with rattle cans?

Last edited by davis96; 03-16-2011, 8:02 PM.

Comment

• motorlou
                            • Jun 2010

hey buddy glad to see your project moving along. though the unicorn didn't work ou,t i as well as many others will still appreciate the bike for what it is....a fucken cool scoot. definately easier to sell if you ever decided to. besides, unicorns belong in the corral next to barbies!! ha ha ha

Comment

• davis96
                              • Feb 2011

Originally posted by motorlou
                              hey buddy glad to see your project moving along. though the unicorn didn't work ou,t i as well as many others will still appreciate the bike for what it is....a fucken cool scoot. definately easier to sell if you ever decided to. besides, unicorns belong in the corral next to barbies!! ha ha ha
                              Ha true dat... with the rest of the tank being bare metal it was starting to surface rust often so i had to do something... The metalflake looks good, now im going to tape off some graphics and lay down some 'candy' the way BlueMoonKustoms does, the cheap version
                              Last edited by davis96; 03-17-2011, 12:42 AM.

Comment

• davis96
                                • Feb 2011

I'm no prefessional, but its starting to look pretty good for rattle cans

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;