Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChopperGuy
    • Feb 2011

Originally posted by superglide
    How many miles you think you'll get in between gas stops ?
    Should be able to go 560-600 miles. I'm afraid I'll need to check oil before I get to that stop...not to mention it will be very difficult to stay on the bike 9-10 hours straight. I'm staying on a bike these days getting ready. We'll see how it goes.

Comment

• ChopperGuy
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by mjasen10
      you mind givin us some info on the engine, frame, and front end? a lot of cool shit goin on under that abomination of a fuel tank. haha just messin, still curious though.
      The frame is a custom hardtail. Rake is about stock. The front end is a custom leaf spring that my frame man did some modifications to make it more reliable. The rockers were recut and repositioned and new bushings were put in place. The welds have all been gone back over and ground. Just got through sanding the frame and front end down and cleared it. It is set up for a wideglide wheel. The front wheel is 21x3.5 and the rear is 18x4.

The 10 gallon tank on the backbone has a built in tool box that will be carrying a phone and IPod. Also have a little aluminum stash box built under the rear of the tank (molded around the backbone and bottom of tank. It has two battery boxes. One for auxillary stuff (ie., GPS, etc.) and the auxillary battery box bolts in so it can be removed if I don't need it.

The center kick stand is set up where I can change a tire on the side of the road while sitting on the kick stand. The sissy bar will hold the 4 gallon auxillary tank which will drain at the same rate as the main backbone tank (this will keep it from getting top heavy). This tank has quick release fuel lines. The pipes pull back past the seat to keep down the noise. It will be louder than a typical BMW. Hell, I couldn't ever tell if it was running it was so quiet while stock. I have two old shorties off vintage Triumphs that are flared out at an angle. Once I put my saddle bags on, this will asthetically balance the rear out with the front of the bike. I wanted a tail light that could be seen from the side and rear, so I put on a 59 Caddy tail light with the tag mounted beneath it.

The engine is an old 1974 R90/6 airhead. It has been completely rebuilt. I've got about 300 miles on the new engine and plan on putting electronic ignition in the next few weeks. The frame is longer than a typical BMW, so the engine was moved away from the rear wheel. These are shaft driven bikes so the drive shaft has been extended and we have exposed a u-joint. Typically the drive shafts are completely incased in a housing. I wanted to keep it exposed so you could see it.

I did the paint to give it an old vintage look. This is my first paint job on my own because even if I screwed it up, I was OK with it. ha

Comment

• mjasen10
        • Aug 2009

cool man, definately sounds like you've put a lot lof thought into making it as utilitarian as possible. i dig it alot. have you had a chance to ride it yet to see how it handles with all the added fuel weight?

Comment

• ChopperGuy
          • Feb 2011

cool man, definately sounds like you've put a lot lof thought into making it as utilitarian as possible. i dig it alot. have you had a chance to ride it yet to see how it handles with all the added fuel weight?
          Thanks mjasen. I haven't rode it with the extra weight yet. Should be done by the end of next week. I'm very ready to put some miles on it!

Comment

• mjasen10
            • Aug 2009

no problem man, definately keep me informed man. the bike has my interest peaked to say the least.

Comment

• ChopperGuy
              • Feb 2011

Finished! This bike is one smooth rascal.

BMW2011StampedeBike10

BMW2011StampedeBike

BMW2011StampedeBike3

BMW2011StampedeBike9

BMW2011StampedeBike8

BMW2011StampedeBike6

BMW2011StampedeBike4

BMW2011StampedeBike4

BMW2011StampedeBike14

BMW2011StampedeBike11

BMW2011StampedeBike13

BMW2011StampedeBike7

BMW2011StampedeBike2

BMW2011StampedeBike5

Comment

• mjasen10
                • Aug 2009

so hows it ride full of fuel?i still cant get over the insanity of that fuel tank. any i deas about what you're gona put on after the stampede?

Comment

• ChopperGuy
                  • Feb 2011

so hows it ride full of fuel?i still cant get over the insanity of that fuel tank. any i deas about what you're gona put on after the stampede?
                  It is the smoothest riding bike I have ever had (with or without a full tank of gas). Ran it through some heavy rain and 20 mph winds. It's a solid ride. Not sure what tank I'll put on it after the Stampede, but thinking it might be an old Norton tank.

Comment

• Beau
                    • Jan 2011

Minus the stars and bars, it's a pretty bad ass ride.

I love the build, man.

Comment

• ChopperGuy
                      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by Beau
                      Minus the stars and bars, it's a pretty bad ass ride.

I love the build, man.
                      Thanks Beau. This will be the first Beemer in the Stampede.

Comment

• hugodv01
                        • Sep 2009

Nice, 10 gallon tanks are the new 3 gallon tanks..

So, you getting a metal flake paint job on that sucker or what?!?

Comment

• ChopperGuy
                          • Feb 2011

Originally posted by hugodv01
                          Nice, 10 gallon tanks are the new 3 gallon tanks..

So, you getting a metal flake paint job on that sucker or what?!?
                          haha It's doing good to have any paint at all. Actually, the frame is just sanded and clear coated.

Comment

• Beau
                            • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ChopperGuy
                            Thanks Beau. This will be the first Beemer in the Stampede.

That's awesome! I sent a Beemer buddy this link. I love the BMW's.

Comment

• mjasen10
                              • Aug 2009

glad to hear that it rides well in the weather! extra weight help keep it planted better maybe? im definately curious to see how it does on the stampede and with a not so ginormous tank on it afterwards. not that it means shit, but its cool in my book man.

Comment

• TemeculaTerry
                                • Jul 2009

Wow!
                                That right there is a fucking glorious mess... I hate it so much I like it!

god speed>>>>>>>

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;