Originally Posted by mjasen10
you mind givin us some info on the engine, frame, and front end? a lot of cool shit goin on under that abomination of a fuel tank. haha just messin, still curious though.
The frame is a custom hardtail. Rake is about stock. The front end is a custom leaf spring that my frame man did some modifications to make it more reliable. The rockers were recut and repositioned and new bushings were put in place. The welds have all been gone back over and ground. Just got through sanding the frame and front end down and cleared it. It is set up for a wideglide wheel. The front wheel is 21x3.5 and the rear is 18x4.
The 10 gallon tank on the backbone has a built in tool box that will be carrying a phone and IPod. Also have a little aluminum stash box built under the rear of the tank (molded around the backbone and bottom of tank. It has two battery boxes. One for auxillary stuff (ie., GPS, etc.) and the auxillary battery box bolts in so it can be removed if I don't need it.
The center kick stand is set up where I can change a tire on the side of the road while sitting on the kick stand. The sissy bar will hold the 4 gallon auxillary tank which will drain at the same rate as the main backbone tank (this will keep it from getting top heavy). This tank has quick release fuel lines. The pipes pull back past the seat to keep down the noise. It will be louder than a typical BMW. Hell, I couldn't ever tell if it was running it was so quiet while stock. I have two old shorties off vintage Triumphs that are flared out at an angle. Once I put my saddle bags on, this will asthetically balance the rear out with the front of the bike. I wanted a tail light that could be seen from the side and rear, so I put on a 59 Caddy tail light with the tag mounted beneath it.
The engine is an old 1974 R90/6 airhead. It has been completely rebuilt. I've got about 300 miles on the new engine and plan on putting electronic ignition in the next few weeks. The frame is longer than a typical BMW, so the engine was moved away from the rear wheel. These are shaft driven bikes so the drive shaft has been extended and we have exposed a u-joint. Typically the drive shafts are completely incased in a housing. I wanted to keep it exposed so you could see it.
I did the paint to give it an old vintage look. This is my first paint job on my own because even if I screwed it up, I was OK with it. ha