CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: OMS CB450 build

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default OMS CB450 build

So I'm buildin a CB450 for the Ozark Mountain Scramble. My first Honda actually So I thought I'd share my progress.

The first picture is the 72 CB450 as I purchased it. A 24K mile unmolested original. I am lucky because I get to be the first to molest it! The bike looks a lot nicer in the picture than it really is. Underneath the seat, tins and tank it is very crusty.The second picture is after I spent a few hours stripping it down this morning. The 3rd pic is the parts that will go back on the bike in one form or another. The last picture is of all the parts that I am going to try to sell to fund the build. I was careful with the wiring harness hoping to sell it as a complete, unmodified original harness. I got a crash bar and luggage rack with the bike that will hopefully be able to bring in a few bucks. I spent $900 to buy this bike. My thinking is that spending extra for a very good engine/trans etc would reward me because I can do most of the rest of this build with rattle cans, elbow grease and scrap metal. I paid $20 for the black 1/4 fairing in the third picture so I am at $920 on a $1000 budget. I am hoping to sell most of the take off parts and maybe pump another $100 back into the budget so I'd have $180 for paint, chain & misc - maybe a new front tire. Of course there will be things I didn't plan for so I need some extra $$.

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CB450before.jpg   CBprogress 016.jpg   CBpartstokeep.jpg   CBpartstosell.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Decided before I pulled the engine and got it all shiny I needed to do a complete mock up of the bike front to rear. First picture is of my recently bead blasted, cleaned, and painted front end parts. Before I assemble them for mock up I needed to make some handlebar riser bushings as the tapered rubber originals are junk. I made some solid aluminum bushings. The second picture is the top tree in the mill. I had to bore the holes out straight since they were tapered from both ends. Next I found some 1" round scraps (third picture), face cut them to length and turned them down to tightly fit the 7/8" bores I had made (fourth picture) and then bored them for the risers to bolt through.(fifth pic).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 017.jpg   CBprogress 020.jpg   CBprogress 022.jpg   CBprogress 023.jpg   CBprogress 025.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Next picture is of the finished bushings and the parts ready to assemble. Then the following picture is the finished assembly - I used anti-seize on everything since it was all aluminum with a tight fit.

I stuck the front end together and put it on the frame. I zip tied the fairing in the approx location to start designing and building mounts for it. I am planning on cutting my handlebars up and making some poor man's clip ons - which is a good thing because as the last picture shows they are bent badly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 026.jpg   CBprogress 027.jpg   CBprogress 029.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Built side mounts for the fairing yesterday and started on the top mount. I'm going to make it adjustable because the fairing tilt up and down with the headlight.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 030.jpg   CBprogress 031.jpg   CBprogress 032.jpg   CBprogress 033.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Finished the top fairing mount this morning. surface cleaned and stuck the wheels back on. scratching my head and marking the front fender to see if I want to trim up or just leave it off. I am also going to try to make my cafe seat/tailpiece combo from the original seat pan leaving the hinges and lock in place. I think I can make it look nice. If it turns out fugly I'll just start over from scratch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 034.jpg   CBprogress 035.jpg   CBprogress 036.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks cool man. I like that small fairing

NHMike

Clean work, I like how it's looking.

Get Adobe Flash player

Osark Mt. Scramble??? Hmmm.
    Nice 450! I just got mine in order and just need to finish the seat and paint the tailsection.
    It's fast as hell out of the hole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 73 Cafe'.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

The early 450(1970's) is such a great engine. Great engine!

Get Adobe Flash player

Decided to work on the exhaust today. First I cut off the stock ugly foot pegs
    and welded on the passenger pegs which are smaller and better looking but still
    fold up if needed.
    Then I cut my mufflers down and welded the ends back on. I basically removed
    the internal baffle section - not on purpose but it turned out that way. I also
    had some really rotten spots on the bottoms so I scabbed some patches on those.
    I'll come back and smooth all my welds down some other day as I was running out
    of time today and wanted to get at least one side done.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 038.jpg   CBprogress 039.jpg   CBprogress 040.jpg   CBprogress 042.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

I wanted to kick the mufflers up so I got an old single cyl dirt bike pipe from
    a buddy (free) and bead blasted the rust off. I cut a couple of bends and straights out
    of it to use. Cut my down pipe, inserted the bend and then welded it up. I am
    pretty happy with the way it turned out. I just hope I can get the other side to
    match perfectly.

I sold some of the stock parts from this bike on craigslist and ebay for $75 so I have $155 left in my budget to have this bike ready for hard riding....Should be OK and able to buy a front tire, chain and brake pads with enough left to buy some rattle cans for the paint job.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 041.jpg   CBprogress 043.jpg   CBprogress 044.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for the props guys!

scout I like that bike. Black and red is my favorite color combo. I was considering it for this CB project - maybe with some silver in between.....................

Go get a cheap bike, start wrenching on it and come join us in June!

Get Adobe Flash player

Got the other side pipe done and smoothed out the welds and made brackets for both sides. Started on my seat/tail . Got it cut out and tacked up. It looked a lot better with the poster board mock up but I am going to use it. I think it'll look better with paint. I am also going to make a hidden stash compartment in it since its kind of big.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 047.jpg   CBprogress 048.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Finished welding and did lots of sanding and grinding on the tail. I also built and welded in a back panel and a mounted tail light ($10 off my budget - down to $145) Built a wooden base for the seat. Made some extensions and plugs and tacked my handlebars in place. Had to make them long for the master cylinder to clear the fairing but I think they are going to be comfortable.
    Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 049.jpg   CBprogress 050.jpg   CBprogress 051.jpg   CBprogress 052.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Made some side number panels to give it more of the "racer" look I'm going for. TAS Motorsports hooked me up with some great prices on a chain, front brake pads, uni air filters and a gas cap seal. That still leaves me $58 in my budget to stay under $1000
    Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 053.jpg   CBprogress 054.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

All the fab work is done. bike is blasted apart for final cleaning, detailing, paint and reassembly. It has been a little slow going on the engine since I am cutting all my own gaskets etc but here's a picture of it so far. Simple semi gloss black on the cases and cam covers, just a good scrubbing on the jugs and head, and beadblast/scotchbrite on the side covers and cam adjuster covers.

Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 055.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Paint on the front fender, fairing and frame etc is done. Final assembly is started! The body work on the tank and tail isn't finished yet. They will be very last along with the seat - which my mother in-law is going to cover for me.
    Brad
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 056.jpg   CBprogress 057.jpg   CBprogress 058.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

more ...just waiting for body work to be finished to paint the tank and tail - also for the seat to be covered.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 061.jpg   CBprogress 059.jpg   CBprogress 060.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Well, she's basically done. Still waiting for the side covers to be lettered by a buddy and I have to figure out why the front brake caliper isn't releasing .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CBprogress 062.jpg   CBprogress 063.jpg   CBprogress 064.jpg   CBprogress 065.jpg   CBprogress 066.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

A chopper is never done lol...the list to do always gets bigger. Great work tho.

Share This