Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 4horsemen20
    • Sep 2009

installing suicide shift on 76' ironhead

at the very beginning stages of my ground up IH build... so its not quite an ironhead... more like an ironhandjob- but either way its still fun right? haha. anyway.... you guys that know your HDs would know better than me if it is even possible to do a suicide shift on this fucker...... if it is possible what method would you use? it is an ironhead 1000cc 1976. if you know the motor you know its limitations as far as aftermarket installation. i was born in fuckin 89' so this girl has some years on me. i just need to know if the old hooker has anymore tricks up her sleeve. thanks guys.
  • ChoppyGee
    • Aug 2009

cut down your clutch cable I would used the stock shifter arm for your control. fab up a bracket and a pivot so it pulls the cable just like a hand lever would. If want to hand shifter low and behind your (Jockey Shift) that just takes a piece of whatever metal you decide to use on the shift shaft and a handle then just reach back and grab your gears or if you want it more accessable chill'n in front of you (Tank shift). just build yourself some sort of a shaft that connects to the linkage where the stock foot shifter did......or just find a kit that did all the fun shit for you on the web. The biggest issue is going to be getting your shift control to the left side so you can opperate it with the throttle at the same time. unless you're a real bad ass and do it both right handed. oh and switch your brake to the right side with a linkage. it'll be time consuming but shouldn't take too much skill
    There's no such thing as Suicide shift... It's a Jockey shift or tank shift. There is a suicide clutch, thats when your clutch is foot operated like a car it releases when you let up the pressure, generally goes hand and hand with Jockey shift and tank shift.

there's also hand shifting and rocker clutches and probably tons i don't know about

I was born in 89' too just study your machine and read up all you can.
    Last edited by ChoppyGee; 09-18-2009, 12:03 AM.

Comment

• Robzilla
      • Aug 2009

Choppygee, I use a right side Jockey Shift and a left foot brake. Left hand Clutch and Right hand Throttle. Nothing bad ass about it, gets lots of stares, its fairly natural for me. I suppose being a drummer and using each appendage independently helps!!!!

Comment

• Robzilla
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by 4horsemen20
        at the very beginning stages of my ground up IH build... so its not quite an ironhead... more like an ironhandjob- but either way its still fun right? haha. anyway.... you guys that know your HDs would know better than me if it is even possible to do a suicide shift on this fucker...... if it is possible what method would you use? it is an ironhead 1000cc 1976. if you know the motor you know its limitations as far as aftermarket installation. i was born in fuckin 89' so this girl has some years on me. i just need to know if the old hooker has anymore tricks up her sleeve. thanks guys.
        Like I said above, I use a little different set up. There are lots of guys running jockey shifts, ask for some shots of their set-ups. I'll post up some pics of my contraption when I get home from work. Just use your imagination, the possibilties are endless!!!

Comment

• imtheslime
          • Aug 2009

I have seen some sweet hydraulic clutch setups using a master cylinder, on a few ironheads.

Originally posted by Robzilla
          Choppygee, I use a right side Jockey Shift and a left foot brake. Left hand Clutch and Right hand Throttle. Nothing bad ass about it, gets lots of stares, its fairly natural for me. I suppose being a drummer and using each appendage independently helps!!!!
          That was one of the many draws to riding for me, about as close as you can get to sitting behind a set of tubbs. Definitely need some independence for a no front brake, foot clutch, jockey shift set up, on a hill.

Comment

• 4horsemen20
            • Sep 2009

thanks for the awesome input guys...... i'm still gettin schooled in the ways of the american v-twin. the renthal days are long gone. ha ha. thanks. sorry about the suicide shift comment.... suicide clutch. suicide clutch. i do want to go for the foot clutch idea pretty bad though. i took an old indian scout for a good 100 mile test drive and the foot clutch with the jockey shift was oddly comfortable for me and for some reason i prefer it to the traditional hand clutch and foot shift.

Comment

• imtheslime
              • Aug 2009

I want to give a left hand throttle a try, being a righty I can then lob projectiles into traffic, with ease, when necessary..

Comment

• 4horsemen20
                • Sep 2009

fuckin a!!! i believe i'll join ya.

Comment

• Robzilla
                  • Aug 2009

Here's a pic of my set up...

Comment

• wickedblockhead
                    • Aug 2009

75-76 were the bastard years with the crossover linkages. i had a 75 xlch. Looks like you did a pretty good job figuring it out Rob!

Comment

• tattoo2303
                      • Aug 2009

if you have a 76 you already have a crossover in place, my plan for my 75 (which is just like yours) is just to take that long shifter and rotate it to were it is comfortable and in reach behind me, you may or may not need to trim it down depending on how much travel it needs to change gears i dont know yet as im not that far into my build either but this should be really easy to build the hardest part which im trying to design right now is a clutch pedal mount and everything to work the clutch.

that pic above is pre 75 they shifted on the right, i wanted to convert mine to right side shift but am not confident enought to pull the transmission to change the shift shaft (well i could pull it, the question is if id ever get it back together lol)
                      Last edited by tattoo2303; 09-19-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• elTee
                        • Aug 2009

Not suicide, but this is my funky right side hand shift on a '75. Gonged all the crossover linkage except the splined piece for the shaft, made a shifter and a support because i chopped the cam cover.

Comment

• Robzilla
                          • Aug 2009

Originally posted by wickedblockhead
                          75-76 were the bastard years with the crossover linkages. i had a 75 xlch. Looks like you did a pretty good job figuring it out Rob!
                          Trial and error!!! Went through several different ideas, the problem I had was getting a design that would give me the leverage to turn the shift shaft. I had thought of just coming straight off the shaft with a bar, but I was afraid that it would shift on it's own since it's a rigid frame. One good bump and it could fuck up my tranny. This idea came to me in a dream, literally.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...