Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chief
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ARBY
    Ooooohhh yeeeaaaahhhhh. My new dual Mikuni's just came in the mail yesterday courtsey of my new hero, coldsmokejr. Gonna start getting my stuff together and screw them on next weekend.
    we want pics!!

Bandersnatch: stock 40mm carbs.. my plan is to use as much stock parts as possible.
    things that can not be stock are: manifolds and exhaust, so i have to make them myself, the rest is stock sportster.
    stock cams, stock carbs (just one more) stock heads (two front heads) etc..

Comment

• Bandersnatch
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by chief
      we want pics!!

Bandersnatch: stock 40mm carbs.. my plan is to use as much stock parts as possible.
      things that can not be stock are: manifolds and exhaust, so i have to make them myself, the rest is stock sportster.
      stock cams, stock carbs (just one more) stock heads (two front heads) etc..
      Do you gotta switch out needles or somethin? 40's seem a lil "big" and dual carbs are notoriiously "rich". CycleX runs 29s? I think. Keep me posted guys, I plan on running duals here pretty soon and don't wanna be the first to blow myself up

Comment

• chief
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bandersnatch
        Do you gotta switch out needles or somethin? 40's seem a lil "big" and dual carbs are notoriiously "rich". CycleX runs 29s? I think. Keep me posted guys, I plan on running duals here pretty soon and don't wanna be the first to blow myself up
        needles and jets need to be changed.. but.. on a combined manifold (stock) HD the carb only feeds 1 1/4 cilinder at time at most...

you are not feeding a 883-1200 or what not stroke, you are feeding one cylinder at time with a little overlap.

running very tight (ie 29's) carbs gives a very high velocity through the carb, while big barrel carbs have a pretty low velocity.

Comment

• Bandersnatch
          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by chief
          needles and jets need to be changed.. but.. on a combined manifold (stock) HD the carb only feeds 1 1/4 cilinder at time at most...

you are not feeding a 883-1200 or what not stroke, you are feeding one cylinder at time with a little overlap.

running very tight (ie 29's) carbs gives a very high velocity through the carb, while big barrel carbs have a pretty low velocity.
          So that setup I have Running 2 36's will just be like running a REALLY rich carb? Seems like your way is easier(besides fab work) to tune in? Any suggestions for the carb setup I got......needles etc? I'm all ears. Arby, You got them hooked up yer or What?????

Comment

• coldsmokejr
            • Sep 2010

So that setup I have Running 2 36's will just be like running a REALLY rich carb? Seems like your way is easier(besides fab work) to tune in? Any suggestions for the carb setup I got......needles etc? I'm all ears. Arby, You got them hooked up yer or What?????
            I think your gonna be struggling with twin 36s, dats a lot of carb, I've seen 117 S&S motors with dual 34s.....I've jetted twin 29s DOWN on built shovels.

Comment

• Bandersnatch
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by coldsmokejr
              I think your gonna be struggling with twin 36s, dats a lot of carb, I've seen 117 S&S motors with dual 34s.....I've jetted twin 29s DOWN on built shovels.
              Man, it almost makes that cyclex setup look that much more appealing. Half a grand is just a pretty serious pricetag. Thanks man.

Comment

• Lennin
                • Apr 2024

Anymore pics of harleys running dual carbs, they look pretty cool.

Comment

• coldsmokejr
                  • Sep 2010

Sure is quiet in this thread...................

Comment

• coldsmokejr
                    • Sep 2010

Crickets........

Comment

• br3or
                      • Mar 2011

Arby's slow installing stuff.. C'mon we wanna see pics!

Comment

• coldsmokejr
                        • Sep 2010

Man, it almost makes that cyclex setup look that much more appealing. Half a grand is just a pretty serious pricetag. Thanks man.
                        The carbs themselves are pretty cheap, maybe $100/pc, it's finding a manifold that's tricky, if you can weld/fab some tubing and flange to the proper intake, you could probably pull it off. If you do some research, these are just snowmobile carbs and rubber boots.

Their carbs are standard Mik VMs around $85/PC, and flanges can be found on Dennis Kirk snow site for like $12/pc, course, you gotta find filters, cable (2-1cable can be found on snow site as well)
                        Last edited by coldsmokejr; 01-27-2012, 9:24 AM.

Comment

• Bandersnatch
                          • Dec 2011

Originally posted by coldsmokejr
                          The carbs themselves are pretty cheap, maybe $100/pc, it's finding a manifold that's tricky, if you can weld/fab some tubing and flange to the proper intake, you could probably pull it off. If you do some research, these are just snowmobile carbs and rubber boots.
                          That's actually what those Mik's in my post got pulled outta. My bud measured them with his old manual caliper......I've been meaning to measure them myself, but they're probably more likely to be a set of 29's then if they came out of an 03 polaris snowmobile was gotten rid of. I believe it was a 340? I figure a Wisconsin dude might know. Also the flanges I have on them don't match up quite to the dellorto intakes I have. So I think that'd be my issue.

Comment

• Spade115
                            • May 2010

ok I have a question and it involves a blast so bare with me..

image courtesty of cyclexchange.

I see how it attaches just to make sure that part attaches directly to the head correct?

So lets say I run this on a blast it would be 2 carbs for the one cylinder head would it be better?

I know one carb per cylinder head is great for performance but would two be good for one?

small jets on both and small cars (I have a stock cv on mine now 40?)

Would it be better for big bore motors or storked motors instead of a stock or maybe a 515 ci blast?

Comment

• coldsmokejr
                              • Sep 2010

If those were yanked off a 340 or 440 Polaris, then theyre probably vm 30s, ya gotta measure the interior of the carb throat, which I think will work for ya, like I said, there's an ass pile of flanges to be found on snowmo sites, after that, it's just finding a manifold, and bolting together. Just remember, standard round slides to do not have an accelerator pump like a cv or an S&S.

Comment

• coldsmokejr
                                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Spade115
                                ok I have a question and it involves a blast so bare with me..

image courtesty of cyclexchange.

I see how it attaches just to make sure that part attaches directly to the head correct?

So lets say I run this on a blast it would be 2 carbs for the one cylinder head would it be better?

I know one carb per cylinder head is great for performance but would two be good for one?

small jets on both and small cars (I have a stock cv on mine now 40?)

Would it be better for big bore motors or storked motors instead of a stock or maybe a 515 ci blast?
                                The 2-1manifold shown in the pic attaches to an intake manifold which attaches to your head/s, I'm sure you would notice a bit of a performance increase on a blast stocker, but jetting/tuning is gonna be a bitch. As with all motors, it's a culmination of heads, cams, intake, spark and exhaust working together that make power. At $500 I certainly would not mount these to a blast, there's a lot of other things you can do to that motor to make it GO. I've ridden a built blast (stock carb) on the ice, what a fuckin riot!!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;