Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DarkEgo06
    • May 2011

This is an AWESOME build! I have been looking at buying a bike to turn into a bobber and i LOVE this frame for turning it into a hardtail the way you did. (saves alot of measuring and blocking). Does anyone know if the 650 frame is similar? or know of a bigger bike that have a frame that i could do the same thing to?

Great thread, thanks for all the time you put into it!

Comment

• fredd7924
      • Jan 2011

last week I decided to buy the jet kit from Sigma Racing on Ebay for about $50. This was a little bit more than I wanted to pay, but I got lazy on doing my research as I am not very familiar with jetting and just wanted the bike to run better so I could ride it. So it gets here and I was a bit disappointment in what the kit contained....3 drill bits, a few washers, 2 45 jets, and a thick book.

After reading into the book, all that was necessary to correct the 1/4-3/4 throttle stumble was...replace the stock 35 jets with supplied 45 jets, turn the mixture adjustment screw on the side of the carbs out 2 full turns from being seated (mine was about 1.5 turns when I started), and place .050" worth of washers under the main jet needle. It says if its still running lean to drill the jet out to 55, then again if still not satisfied. It also came with a couple other little tips, diagrams, procedures, yadayadayada, but that is the basic information. I do have to say that it does run great now, HUGE difference, but this kit mainly paying for that book, not the materials.

If I had to do it it over again or what I would suggest to others is....
      1. purchase 45 main jets or (i think this is the same to drilling out to about .045")
      2. put .040-.050" worth of shims/washers under main needle to effectively raise it.
      3. find the mixture screw on the side of each carb, turn it in until seated, then back out 2 full turns
      Last edited by fredd7924; 05-25-2011, 9:59 PM.

Comment

• volcomskater77
        • Dec 2010

i love this build man. im in my xs400 for a little over 5 right now. where did you got that batter? and what kind is it?

Comment

• BingTheBarber
          • Apr 2024

dude that really sucks about that asshole cop!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• coma13
            • Apr 2011

I've never been clear, but is there any specific word of law that says that your turn signals have to be wired through the main electrical system of your bike? Or that they have to both be activated from one location?

If not, strap a couple of flashing bicycle taillights on either side of your bike and just push the button on each one to turn it on and off.

Comment

• ninjaracerchick
              • Oct 2010

i bought mine from the same people. great info, good price... especially if your like me and had no idea what your doing

Comment

• zero
                • May 2011

I have seen people make a secondary harness with turns, tag illumination, horn, etc and if/when ticketed, just piggyback into your system and ziptie it to the bike just for inspection. I have even seen guys strap an extra small battery to their bike just to power the piggyback harness....

When I brought my 77 shovel head through inspection for the first time, the inspector said 'right turn signal' and I used the hand signal. Did the same thing with the left and he passed me (even though the bike came from the factory with turns).

Comment

• yfzmotox21
                  • Apr 2024

its that the universal hard tail kit from tc bros?

Comment

• fredd7924
                    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by volcomskater77
                    i love this build man. im in my xs400 for a little over 5 right now. where did you got that batter? and what kind is it?
                    I bought the YTX4L-BS battery for $23 shipped off of ebay. I wasn't sure that it was going to work at first, as it is only a 3AH and extremely small, but it seems to be working fine now. When I first got it I underestimated how small it really was and the battery will die after a couple minutes if you leave the ignition on as the coil and rectifier pull a few amps. I just start it right after I turn the key on now.

yfzmotox21- yes I used the TC bros hardtail kit. I believe it was about $150. If I had a tubing bender I would have tried to make my own, but this kit was easy at the time.

Comment

• fredd7924
                      • Jan 2011

To comply with the local police, I added turn signals, chain guard, front fender, and horizontal plate. I'm sure this is not what they were thinking when they said I needed a chain guard, but it only took me 5 minutes to rig up and it kinda fits the theme. I'll prolly try to find a plate which says antique or something on it instead of truck.

The turn signals are almost invisible unless you are looking for them or they are lite. They are mounted under the seat and light up amber only when lite.

Here is the underside of my seat with the new lights mounted. You can also see how I pulled the leather around and just used self tapping screws to hold it in. You will also see the right valve spring is broken. I hit a bump on my last ride and my seat fell side ways scaring the shit out of me, but no big deal as I have a box of old valve springs.

I really do not like all the extra "junk" on the bike, but I also do not like fines, so this is a moderate compromise. I also have a bicycle speedometer mounted on the handlebars, and a horn on the bottom of the bike, maybe some better pictures later
                      Last edited by fredd7924; 06-07-2011, 9:34 PM.

Comment

• fredd7924
                        • Jan 2011

It's been awhile, but I did a couple little things to it. I took off the ugly chain guard and front fender. I also put a straight tread tire on the front. I also got around to sealing the leaky gas tank and replacing the fork seals. Here is a couple updated pictures.

Comment

• kawijake
                          • Jul 2011

That is a sick kaw man. Well done. Simple and clean, with personal touches. Thats a true back alley build!

Comment

• 79DeathMachine
                            • Jul 2011

What are you using for switches for your mini turns? I have a 79 KZ that was "barn fresh" when I bought it and the wiring is a mess. I think the turn switch is fubar so im thinking on starting from scratch.

Comment

• sfos
                              • Sep 2011

Badass man. My kinda bike. Simple and oldschool

Comment

• fredd7924
                                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by 79DeathMachine
                                What are you using for switches for your mini turns? I have a 79 KZ that was "barn fresh" when I bought it and the wiring is a mess. I think the turn switch is fubar so im thinking on starting from scratch.
                                I am using a basic single pole dual throw toggle switch (just a on / off / on switch). I have it mounted below the gas tank, so its off the handlebars. I think you can pick them up at radio shack for a couple bucks.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;