CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default My '67 Triumph Build.

Well figure I should finally get a thread going for my trump build since I lurk around on here all the time. Been collecting parts for a couple years. Sold my cb550 to help pay for this pricey piece of British engineering and wanna have it done by spring....which is about 5 months away up here in Canada.

After buying a shit front loop from a dude in Ontario I bought one off the JJ from Tony at classic cycles. the first one was beat up, chromed and rear downtube extended 2" ?!?!..was becoming a pain in the ass to fix so its wall art now. maybe i'll use it down the road. Heres a couple pics of it.

got some bars from Craig at Ft.Street cycle, an old rigid oil tank, 21/19 wheel combo and a hardtail from DB. I just sent the crank/+60 pistons/rods off to get dynamic balanced. should have back soon and start putting the engine together. i replaced all the bearings/bushings/seals . head is also rebuilt stock.

shaved the frame, fork lowers and top fork clamp with the angle grinder, then some files, then sandpaper.

Heres where i'm sitting now. Lots of work to go, need to start getting everything mounted up. Tape and magnets are pretty strong, but not sure they'll hold up on the road.

Thats not the engine i'll be using, got that one for a song from some old guy in town here and just been using it for mock-up. will probably tear it down and rebuild it in the future.

Got these pushrods off an auction site. They're like 1/2" longer than the stock rods that came with my basket case motor. anybody got some factory length measurements on these??

Last edited by dracko; 02-16-2011 at 12:35 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a stock set sitting here that are 6 5/16.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0112[1].jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	169.5 KB 
ID:	10131

Get Adobe Flash player

okay thanks grashopr, i'll need to get this sorted before assembly.

Get Adobe Flash player

thats a good lookin roller!

Get Adobe Flash player

awesome bike!

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey thanks for the comments. This is my first time piecing a bike together from nothing so it seems everything takes 5 times longer than it should...but hell of a good time.

Used my buddies mig to get some of the mounts and bungs welded up. I haven't done much welding so some of them look like monkey shit. but thats what the flap wheels for...right!? Nice to get this stuff mounted up.

welded a bung into the top tube for the tank

and seat mount

Cut out some brackets for the oil tank, used rubber grommets to help with the vibes.

Next up is tear down the rear wheel. It was powdercoated when i got it and the rim is 1/2" to the right of center. can't adjust the spokes so gonna have to cut'em out and relace it.
    Crank should be back next week so can hopefully get the bottom end buttoned up.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default back in the saddle

Well between shitty weather and keeping my 64 c10 on the raod, I haven't had time to do much work on the bike. But I got my crank back from the balancer today and it warmed up outside so I'm back on track .
    Haven't seen a crank shaved like this before but the shop has a good reputation so I'm gonna run it.

polished up the rods before sending them out with the crank.

Used my rod nuts earlier so need to order up some new ones and a few other random parts, then should have the bottom end buttoned up.
    Spent some poker winnings on new set of SS seal holders..mine were rusty and beat up. Still need to shave the lip off so my fork covers will slide over them.

Found some time today to bench test this old mag I bought off ebay a year ago, and i'll be damned, it actually throws a fat spark . Its been chromed so I don't wanna break it down for rebuild.

Cleaned up my rear brake plate too....it was beat to all hell. Still deciding on lightening holes.

Last edited by dracko; 02-15-2011 at 10:19 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Haven't seen a crank shaved like this before but the shop has a good reputation so I'm gonna run it.

Neither have I, getting close in finishing my engine rebuild on my trump and my crank was balanced as well, on mine, they drilled a few holes in the outside of the center flywheel. Guess there's always different techniques.

looking good and good luck with it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Sweet. Nothing like a Triumph brought back to life. Got one I'll be working on here soon. Got to get this BMW hardtail finished first. Good luck on your build.

Get Adobe Flash player

Neither have I, getting close in finishing my engine rebuild on my trump and my crank was balanced as well, on mine, they drilled a few holes in the outside of the center flywheel. Guess there's always different techniques.
    Yeah thats what I was expecting to see too, you'd think the flywheel would be the place to remove material because there isn't as much stress on it. But we'll see how it goes.

Sweet. Nothing like a Triumph brought back to life. Got one I'll be working on here soon. Got to get this BMW hardtail finished first. Good luck on your build.
    Hey thanks, lets see some pics of that Beemer!

Got some new springs, seals and bushings in the mail so bolted up the front end.

Need to make a small mount for this headlight now.

Cobbled this fork tube puller together for the cost of a fork tube cap and some all thread, it worked pretty good.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default go to hell winter

[SIZE="3"]Wow been a while since I've done an update. Somehow the past couple weeks have still been cold up here, so I ended up moving the engine build into the basement for a while. Finally put that damn deep freezer to good use!

Had the cylinders bored/honed out for my .060 pistons and I finally bolted up the bottom end, big relief when everything rotated as it should.
    Anybody use SS hardware for case bolts?

The rings that came with my pistons had like a .21 ring gap so i'm waiting on new rings before torquing down the barrels. Did a quick pre-fit without the pistons for shits and giggles.

Dropped the engine into the frame and mounted it up so I could get the drive sprockets lined up. After re-lacing the rear wheel i'd like to center it so I can figure out my rim offset before truing it up. If anybody has tips on lining up the sprockets, i'm all ears.

Get Adobe Flash player

i like everything about this bike so far!

Get Adobe Flash player

I've always had a soft spot for old Trumps and this one's no exception! Great build so far. Maybe I'll look into a Triumph for my next build...

Get Adobe Flash player

looks great man, and i know the feeling of everything spinning smoothly! but i also know the feeling of it binding up...haha

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey thanks for the comments, pumped to get this thing on the road.

I've been messing around with the rear sprocket, spacers and a string line trying to get everything lined up right. When the sprockets are in line, I only have about a 3/16 spacer between the brake plate and the axle plate.

[SIZE="4"]Does this look about right? Since I'm piecing this bike together with parts from all over the damn place, I'm not 100% sure I have the spacers on the underside engine mount stud in the right places to center the engine. Right now I have a spacer on each side, between the frame rail and the engine case. This pic of the underside shows what i'm talking about, arrows point to the spacers.

Is this how they would've come setup from the factory? Engine sure looks like its sitting centered.

thanks .

Get Adobe Flash player

Anybody running a Bird bolt on hardtail and stock Triumph rear wheel? Be nice to have that measurement between the brake plate and frame axle plate to compare measurements to, even when the chain is dead straight, i'm still getting a little clatter from the front sprocket.

Get Adobe Flash player

I noticed that when I torqued down the axle nut, my brake plate would go crooked. Checked the axle plates on this David Bird hardtail with a level and they're shaped like this \ /

That is exaggerated, but they're off enough to pull my rear drum crooked when tightened up. brutal. Especially since the first frame I got from him was so crooked it barely bolted up. He at least gave me this one without hassle. But now I either need to shim somehow or heat and bend the axle plates level. any suggestions?

Get Adobe Flash player

Got some good progress made on the bike. getting damn close to firing it up!

Made up a sissy bar so I have somewhere to strap shit. This was my first attempt at bending one of these up....well bending steel at all really. I decided to use plywood and big ass bolts as the jig plate for the first one. Yup, plywood. I must've been drunk. Needless to say, the first bar was fucked from the get go and hit the bin in a hurry. Bought some 1/4" steel plate and welded bungs to it for the second attempt.

Came out better. Only used 1/2" cold rolled, figure it should be thick enough to hold gear? what size steel is usually used for these things?

put an oil gauge on for a little peace of mind. and needed a tach to get it plated...probably good to have during engine break-in/tuning.

Crazy ass Ducati throttle....needed some work but I dig the chain puller gizmo.

Gonna use a bung from lowbrow to mount the head steady.

I welded a bung on centered between the rocker boxes and then realized I couldn't remove the rockers with it there. ...out with the grinder/hand files. lol

Last edited by dracko; 06-25-2011 at 11:08 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks great. Rock on!

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking good... And from what I have read elsewhere 1/2 cold rolled is what just about everyone is making their Sissy Bars out of.

I like that throttle.

Share This