Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jasonrenda
    • Feb 2010

anyone ever remove the neck/steering stem from a xs 650

looks like its pressed in? anyone ever remove one and if so how? how also did you re-use in the new forks? i have a leaf spring front end i want to use but the stem that it came with is 7/8 around the entre way so there is a ton of lateral play in the bearings. i am aslo trying to find the right size bearing that is the same OD as the stock bearings but has a smaller ID so as to fit the stem i have.
    any thoughts?
  • cntrhub
    • Apr 2024

WD-40 something. I've had a few Yam and I've never come across a pressed on front end with that that size engine. If you are saying there is play, then that front end is loose and is removable unless you surprise me with a photo of said area you think is not replaceable but to be thrown away once is a Yam front end? New to me!

Comment

• jasonrenda
      • Feb 2010

heh i dont think i splained it very well!

my stock XS neck etc is fine. i just got a leaf spring front end for it that was sent with a 7/8 stem. i thought the stock xs 650 stem was also 7/8 so i got two bearings that would fit. they are the 7/8 conversion bearings from tc bros to go from the ball bearings to th timkens.

the prob is that the new stem - which is just a grade 8 threaded bolt - is 7/8 OD BUT the ID of the bearings is wayyyyyyy too big. so i need a bearing with the outside diameter as the stock XS one, but has an inside diamter to get around the 7/8 stem.

or i need to have a sleeve made to go over the stem so that the ID of the bearing will fit it. the ID of the bearing is 25mm which is just under 1in.

so i was also thinking maybe try and find a 1 in threadd bolt r see if someone can make a stem?

the other option was to try and press out the stock stem of the xs 650 and use it and the tc bros bearing kit.

Comment

• Scary
        • Oct 2010

the xs bearings (taper) are top-25/48/15.2 the bottom is 30/48/15 just a rough guess the ID for the top is a bit bigger than 1" and the bottom ID is a bit under 1.25" press out the xs stem or I read but never tried. buy the xs tapered roller bearing and put only the races in the xs neck and that HD bearings will fit the xs races. of course I'm not sure if this will help you since I don't know what size an HD stem is (7/8) or not

Comment

• MrBillohnooo
          • Nov 2010

Hugh (Punkskalar) just did a xr250 tree to xs conversion for me. I dont have it back in hand yet.Hhe said he took pics. I sent him a stock xs tree,and a xr tree. he put the xs stem in the xr tree for me. This way I can run the leading axle bigger/longer tube forks and 21" front wheel with disc. This should be different on my bobber. I am at the mercy of our postal system at the moment.
          Maybe he can post pics?

Comment

• motorlou
            • Jun 2010

the stem on the leafspring is 7/8" all the way down? if the length is right and the rest will work, you might consider just making a bushing to make up the difference between your stock xs stem and the 7/8" stem so you can run the xs lower bearing, know what i mean? if that is too much work, swapping out stems ain't all that but you will need to bore out the lower tree on the leafer to the size of your xs stem.

Comment

• jasonrenda
              • Feb 2010

well after wasting a day off trying to find the right things, basically i have two options: get a sleeve made or get a whole new HD stem, a bearing kit and new neck cups for the yammy = about $200 for all. not good. looks like i need to dind someone to make a sleeve.

the bearings sare either 25mm for top or 30 mm for bottom. ideally id like to use the 25mm ones i have since they are new, though not sure whats easier for a machinist to make - an OD of 25 mm or 30mm with the ID of .875 for the 7/8 stem bolt. what a pain in the ass but its all part of the fun i guess.

does anyone make a bearing and race kit to use HD 1 inch bearing and stem? or do i have to replace the neck cups?

Comment

• tattoodup12
                • Nov 2009

i had the stem removed by a machine shop and he had to bore it out til it was no more and then he pressed a new one in. i wanna say, correct me if im wrong, but i remeber the term swaging being used? either refering to the old unit or the way he made the new stem fit

Comment

• jasonrenda
                  • Feb 2010

ok did more searching and loks like i can use standard HD tapered bearings with the AllBalls sssssssssbearing races and a 1 in stem. of course then i need to drill out the holes sin the leaf springer trees to go from 7/8 to 1 in but thats not too bad.

25 for bearings, 30 for a bit, 70 for a new stem = 125 not terrible.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;