Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dragstews
    • Sep 2010

Harley was doing the Horse Power climb on the 87 year model...
    Upping the bore from 3.000" of the 883's was an easy way to gain Pony's.
    Those jugs of the 883's has a super thick casted in sleeve... Can bore a 1/2" out of them to get to the 1200cc

Also for that one year model of 87 1100cc motors Harley kinda overdid the valve size..The very next year when the 1200cc motors came on line, Those valves got smaller...Some people calls those 87 heads early Buell Thunder Storm heads....Chamber's are not the same.. Still, for a 86 to 90 4-speed Evo Sportie motor they do well for Hot-Rod motor builds...
    Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• Salty
      • Sep 2010

I've also got an 86, 1100. From my understanding these were produced from 86-87.5 so a year and a half of 1100 then bumped up to 1200. The 4sp. tranny is obviously a bit different and the stator/clutch issues has already been touched on.

I've found it rather difficult to find the small OEM replacement pieces. Shifter lever to be exact. The dealer numbers dont match and there are two of them to boot. Also the stock Keihin butterfly that it comes with is also a bit difficult to find jets and floats etc.

Overall i am extremely happy with my first year evo sportster and feel a little nostalgiac ridign around this model sportster in particular. I love it when "Harley" guys try and tell me there has never been a 1100cc sportster and that im an idiot. I just wheelie away laughing.....

"86-87 XLH1100 HEADS:

1986-early 87, "Bathtub" heads. Sand-cast construction. Extra large valves, 1.840" intake, 1.615" exhaust. Shaped combustion chamber with squish band. 9.0:1 compression. Sand-cast 1100 heads can not be mixed with diecast heads.

late 1987 , changed to die-cast construction (less expensive) and round combustion chamber and valve sizes that were continued thru to the 1200 heads. Valves 1.715 intake and 1.480 exhaust. (Thanks to Tom Mack for the info on these 1986-87 heads!)"

Comment

• Whitehorse
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Salty
        I've found it rather difficult to find the small OEM replacement pieces. Shifter lever to be exact. The dealer numbers dont match and there are two of them to boot. Also the stock Keihin butterfly that it comes with is also a bit difficult to find jets and floats etc.
        !)"
        Indeed. My ,'86 is my first HD and it was bored to 1200 and on a paughco before I ever heard it run. Long, slow build.. From shift forks to O-rings, even a snap ring will be listed obsolete and the cross referenced part is sometimes way off, sure is fun though

Comment

• 2011FXDWG
          • Dec 2010

I just aquired/inherited an '87 1100 and am pretty happy with it. I'm pretty damn sure that there is a rev limiter in it too.

Comment

• KeysRyder
            • Oct 2014

I am starting with an 86 myself although mine is an 883 with 1200 kit. How reliable is the Ronnie's Fiche online for parts? Getting ready to tear mine down to inspect and do hardtail, frame chop/rake.
            If anyone sees anything they want let me know, just saving engine, frame, tank and headlight. Everthing else is going.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by KeysRyder; 10-30-2014, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• Salty
              • Sep 2010

obligatory vanity shot.
              86xlh1100

Comment

• carboncopy136
                • Aug 2014

It's a odd ball year but they can be built to haul some real ass

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;