Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GreaserMike
    • Aug 2009

Flat Track 101: A brief introduction

"...i saw your post on the "show your bike" thread. and that you race flat track. How did you get into that? i love watching it and i'd love to race, but i just dont even know where to begin, and if theres like a series for vintage flat track thatd be even sicker. thanks man. "

Gene Romero - Sideways!

My exposure to flat track racing began four years ago with Hugh Mackie, the owner of the British motorcycle shop "Sixth St. Specials" located in NYC. Hugh had been flat track racing for several years and asked me to come give him a hand one Sunday when he was going racing alone. Well, I was pretty much hooked after watching the first few practice laps. I spent the entire ride home asking Hugh a million questions. The first of which was "How do I start?"

Sixth St. Special's very own Hugh Mackie on his Trackmaster Triumph 750

PART 1: AMERICAN SUPERCAMP

Flat track racing is INCREDIBLY DANGEROUS. The bikes are flying full speed within millimeters of each other with no front brake and very little rear brake. There is a huge amount of trust between the riders as there is very little margin of error. Learning correctly is an absolute must to keep you and everyone else on the track safe.

Danny Walker's dirt track school "American Supercamp" should be everyone's first stop on the road to going sideways. The school provides their own bikes and covers all the essential skills such as form and throttle control. Besides, where else can you get hands on training with expert racers like seven-time AMA Grand National Dirt Track Champion, Chris Carr?

Another benefit of taking the Supercamp class is this skill will make you much more confident in emergency situations on the road. The sliding that flat track racers do when cornering is pretty much an exaggerated emergency stop on the street.

American Supercamp is a riding skills and balance improvement course for ALL motorcycle riders using aggressive and innovative riding drills composed by the best riders in motorcycling.
    Last edited by GreaserMike; 09-11-2009, 12:51 AM.
  • GreaserMike
    • Aug 2009

PART 2: GEARING UP

You cannot skimp on protection...PERIOD. Here's a look inside my gear bag to give you an idea of everything you'll need.

Body Armor

I use Six Six One's competition Suit. The breatheable mesh suit features spine, chest, forearm, and elbow protection.

Race Collar

Should you wipe out, the race collar prevents your helmet from smashing your collar bone. I CANNOT stress enough the value of this little gem. I use the one above by EVS

Knee Pads

Gloves

Last edited by GreaserMike; 09-09-2009, 8:12 PM.

Comment

• oildevil13
      • Aug 2009

If I may add this....

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

One of my favorite videos. Alot of talent with a couple crashes thrown in.
      Last edited by oildevil13; 09-09-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

• GreaserMike
        • Aug 2009

Goggles

I use the above goggles by Smith Optics. Shell out for a few packs of tear offs also. Besides keeping your visibility up, they'll prevent the lenses from being scratched.

Helmet

Some racers use a street style full face helmet with a visor. I prefer the above.

Protective Motocross Clothing

I actually order two jerseys. The reason being that some of the tracks are rough pea gravel which can shred your jersey to bits. (The pants tend to be a bit more robust and take alot more abuse.) Most motocross companies also like to change their designs throughout the year making finding a replacement jersey that matches your pants a real nightmare.
        Last edited by GreaserMike; 09-09-2009, 7:52 PM.

Comment

• GreaserMike
          • Aug 2009

Motocross Boots

HOT SHOE!

You're not going to go far in dirt track racing without a steel shoe. Also called a "hot shoe" because they really do get red hot from the friction. A good hot shoe is coated on the bottom with a hardening material. Without it, you'll burn through the shoe after a few races.

I highly recccomend the legend in Hot Shoes - George

Last edited by GreaserMike; 09-09-2009, 8:12 PM.

Comment

• ChoppyGee
            • Aug 2009

flat track is crazy! I'd love to have a XR750 just like ol' Mert.

Thanks for this post! very interesting stuff

Comment

• GreaserMike
              • Aug 2009

PART 3 - GO FAST & TURN LEFT

Bikes (the reason we're here)

#703 Hugh Mackie
              #23 Fumihisa Matsueda
              #278 Greaser Mike

I compete in the vintage classes but there are many race classes to suit whatever engine size and style you're into.

My first flat tracker was a Yamaha SR 500 with a stock frame and all the non-race items (lights, turn signals etc) stripped off. A race exhaust was fitted as was a fiberglass tail and dunlop flat track tires.

The number plates are from Tuff Plates

The entire bike cost me about $1000 bucks! That's pretty cheap compared to other types of motorcycle racing. Spending as little as possible is ideal when it's a bike you (as an amature) are going to dump quite a few times.

My second race bike was this Yamaha SR 500 wheelie machine. The engine sits in a Starracer (the company started after Trackmaster closed shop) dirt track frame. Other tasty bits are the Bultaco Fork with Excell Quick change Wheels, Jemco Exhaust, racing carburetor, high compression motor with megacycle race cam.

Before even considering what is in the motor, the dramatic weight loss from the stock frame and wheels is enormous. Also, with the quick change wheels I bought a bunch of front and rear sprockets. Every track is different and there is a serious advantage to being able to switch out gears in only a few minutes.

My Champion Framed Triumph 500 flat tracker. This is the bike I currently race. The bike has an ARD puck magneto, Megacycle cams, high compression pistons, black diamond valves, balanced and lightened crank, Marzochi fork with Ron Wood trees, etc etc etc . The Champion frame is so light and the bike handles incredibly in the corners.
              Last edited by GreaserMike; 09-14-2009, 12:45 PM.

Comment

• justin666
                • Apr 2024

thanks so much for answering a ton of my questions mike. i'm for sure gonna check out the supercamp site for training sessions. and i just found out they've got one up in fortcollins about an hour from me!!

whats the regulations as far as bikes go to race the vintage class??

thanks again mike
                Last edited by Guest; 09-09-2009, 8:24 PM.

Comment

• GreaserMike
                  • Aug 2009

PART 4 - LINKS OF INTEREST

The following links are great resources for everything from classifieds and parts suppliers to rules and race schedules in your area.

Vintage Flat Tracker

Flattrack.com

AMA Pro Racking - Flat Track

Comment

• AliBobber
                    • Aug 2009

looks like a lot of fun... i hope to see alot more of this stuff coming from the vintage cycle world *thumbs up*

Comment

• BFJosh
                      • Jun 2009

Great write up Mike!!

Comment

• Halwade
                        • Apr 2024

This is an instant classic. Thanks for the how-to, Mike. I'm moving your dirt tracking thread to the greatest hits page this evening... I'll leave a forwarding address.

McGoo

Comment

• GreaserMike
                          • Aug 2009

"do they ever air flattrack racing on tv?"

Speed channel shows the Grand National Circuit races from time to time.

Last edited by GreaserMike; 09-10-2009, 12:08 AM.

Comment

• GreaserMike
                            • Aug 2009

Thank you for the positive feedback.

One of the first things that struck me when I began racing was how so many pro racers would come over and offer up advice on how I could improve. Whether it was in how my bike was set up, how I approached a corner or my form, the other riders were always helping out. To someone new to a sport this seemed odd because this was the competition. Helping another rider fix their bike, for example, might lessen an oportunity to win a race. The sport is not about winning trophies or collecting points and there's very little oportunity to make any kind of serious money.

Having riders like Jay Ashcroft, Dave Aldana, and Kenny Coolbeth take time to walk over and genuinely care about how I was riding has been a humbling experience. There is a true comradery amongst the racers and honestly very little ego in the sport, let alone tolerated. Like I said, there needs to be a huge amount of trust between the riders because of the sheer potential of injury.

Whether you're a novice or a Grand National champion, you know that helping others along is just another way of keeping the sport going. If one person on Chop Cult reads this and decides to get into racing flat track, well...I've just helped keep the tracks open a bit longer and I have something to look forward to all week.
                            Last edited by GreaserMike; 09-10-2009, 12:40 AM.

Comment

• Sinner6T
                              • Aug 2009

Wow, great reading for sure. This really bridges the gap between the "how do I get started" pages on flattrack.com and actually getting off the couch! Thanks for making it make some sense. How about a continuing series, like associations, rules, class distinctions? I'm staying tuned...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;