Clear All
  • GreaserMike
    • Aug 2009

PART 5 - COMING CORRECT

- You've been to dirt track school [CHECK]
    - bought the protective gear [CHECK]
    - picked up a decent bike [CHECK]]

Now what?

You're going to need a tool kit and supplemental supplies. I know most people are going to read this and say "Dur, that goes without saying." Well, you'd be suprised at how ill prepared people can be. It looks incredibly unprofessional when you show up to the track without your own tools. Its also frustrating to spend the day running around and borrowing from those that have taken the time to come correct.

Here's a checklist of what you should have on hand:

- Basic toolkit with good set of wrenches, screwdrivers, sockets, vice grips etc..
    - Tire gauge with a bleed button - tire pressure is a make it or brake it in any kind of racing. I check my tire pressure every time I come off the track and made adjustments as needed.
    - Air bottle
    - Safety wire and pliers.. A lifesaver!!!!
    - Assorted bolts and screws
    - Spare cables (clutch, throttle)
    - Spare tube and tire irons
    - Fuel and oil.
    - Plenty of water / gatorade / etc... Like any sport you need to keep hydrated. Yes, they sell this at the tracks but they mark up the price.
    - Food. I don't know about you, but I'd rather bring my own. A greasy sausage and pepper sandwich from the concession stand certainly won't make you any faster on the track.

I also bring an extra set of dirt track handlebars. A racer can be completely unhurt in a crash but their day is over because their bars are bent. A five minute swap of a set of bars and you're back in business.

More tips from captain obvious:

It's a really good idea to check your bike out before you load up and head for the track. I've seen people wait until they've driven over a hundred miles to find out their bike is a piece of crap in a need of a tune up. You should be able to register, unload the bike, suit up and get ready to make your first practice. When you spend the morning wrenching you won't really be able to concentrate on performing well. Sure, shit happens and you'll need to fix things as they happen, but that's far better than spending all that money getting to the track and not being able to race.
    Last edited by GreaserMike; 09-10-2009, 10:08 AM.

Comment

• burntclutch
      • Aug 2009

This is great, seen it at work today got home and it has been moved to where it belongs.

Comment

• dannyb
        • Aug 2009

one the best posts yet. good job. Makes me wanna get out and race.

Comment

• JustJ
          • Aug 2009

cool post ...I have been checkin out the local flat track races and always wonder what it takes to get into it very informative post

Comment

• imtheslime
            • Aug 2009

Definitely deserving of the "Greatest Hits" title. Thanks for posting.

Comment

• Jared
              • Aug 2009

Whats a good site to find local flat track races? I've always wanted to go to one but could never find any in my area.

Comment

• GreaserMike
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Jared
                Whats a good site to find local flat track races? I've always wanted to go to one but could never find any in my area.
                Vintage Flat Tracker and Flattrack.com have race schedules.

Comment

• MsHeather
                  • Aug 2009

Hey Mike, who knew you were so smart? J/K, great write up.

I have actually considered doing the non racer course at supercamp just to bring my riding abilities up to par. I think it could be a great program for anyone, not just flat track racers

Comment

• GreaserMike
                    • Aug 2009

I honestly thing EVERYONE should take the course offered by American Supercamp.

Like I said, sliding the corners in flat track is pretty much an exaggerated emergency stop on the street. At one point in ever rider's life they will encounter a situation where the bike goes into a skid or the rear wheel locks up. Knowing how to respond properly is so essential. A typical unexperienced rider will panic and react by chopping the throttle. The abrupt shutting off will then cause the rear wheel to stop sliding and hook up with the ground which results in a high-side (and a trip to a hospital).

I honestly believe the non-racer class is important because it can save the lives of street riders. You will learn how to control the bike in a skid and maintain smooth throttle control. In emergency situations where you will still go down, you'll do so by keeping the throttle steady and laying the bike down smoothly. Sure the bike might have a few scratches, but that's far better than the alternative.
                    Last edited by GreaserMike; 09-11-2009, 2:18 PM.

Comment

• GreaserMike
                      • Aug 2009

Some pit photos from yesterday's race at Indian Lookout Country Club, In Pattersonville, NY

(Sorry I didn't take more - I was concentrating on racing & prepping my bike. I'll post more from the other riders as I get them)

(From their website)

Last edited by GreaserMike; 09-14-2009, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• GreaserMike
                        • Aug 2009

Comment

• GreaserMike
                          • Aug 2009

Comment

• beezerglide
                            • Aug 2009

badass video, makes me think aboun riding my old 79 xr i had as a kid. i still put my foot down sometimes when it turn.

Comment

• Andy
                              • Sep 2009

Great writeup!

Comment

• thickmick
                                • Apr 2024

This is some great info. I've always wanted to try this. Looks like a great time.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;