Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tobiism
    • Aug 2009

My 1200S Frisco Chop

After selling my Bigtwin Evo chop I decided to go back to a sporty. They're fun, they're fast, and they're so damn easy to work on. But I decided to hold out for a 1200S model, cuz I've always wanted one.
    I picked this 2000 model up on Phx Craigslist for $3500. It had 10750 miles on it and looked like it just came off the showroom.

The guy let me test ride it and I about shit my pants. Scariest, most wonky piece of shit I ever sat on! Then I checked all the suspension settings(3 way adjustable cartridge forks and shocks) and every adjustment was different from its mate, and it only had 7lbs of air in the tires!
    After realizing it would all be easy fixes I quickly paid the man his money and left.
    I like bikes that handle really well, so I started modifying this bike to that end.
    First was a steering damper, rearsets, fork brace, KYB shocks, Venom X tires, and a Rineheart 2-1 exhaust for added grunt

This was awesome, until I found a Supertrapp 2-1 system on craigslist for $125!
    5 lbs lighter and just as tough, with more ground clearance!

Then I decided I wanted to try a fairing to keep some wind off of my chest. I didn't want to do the standard played out half-fairing so I came up with this-

And now I've decided its time to move on to 17" GSXR rims with Pilot Power tires for a 35lb(!) weight reduction and even sharper handling!

• BurseCurse
    • Jun 2010

looks like some mad max shit.I like it!

Comment

• blackedout
      • Aug 2009

HA HA the welding help is nuts, I like it.

Comment

• knotwerk
        • Apr 2010

those wheels look sick!
        was that a tough swap?

Comment

• keithb
          • May 2010

That welding mask looks perfect! Great idea.

Comment

• tobiism
            • Aug 2009

Thanks guys!
            Knotwerk, the swap isn't done, I'm still making spacers and adapters. Its not super tough if you have access to a lathe.

Comment

• Twinkies
              • Aug 2009

Sportster supermoto?? Maybe throw some barkbusters and axle sliders on it next?
              haha... looks like fun.

Comment

• garbage
                • Apr 2024

I dig, I dig! I own one of these bad mofo's my self. I like the direction you went on this build.

Comment

• billdozer
                  • Apr 2024

Sportmoto!

I loved your last sporty, can't wait to see what this one evolves into.

Comment

• tobiism
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by billdozer
                    Sportmoto!

I loved your last sporty, can't wait to see what this one evolves into.
                    Thanks Bill!

Comment

• tobiism
                      • Aug 2009

alright, got all of the axle spacers made, the axle adjusters bored out to 20mm(thank you little lathe)the front caliper mounts shaved down to fit the new discs(thank you big mill file) and now I'm on to the chain conversion. I'm trying to wrap my head around what front and rear sprocket I need. I want to stick with the stock 1200 final drive ratio I had, but now that I have the smaller rear tire, I'm not sure how to achieve that ratio.
                      I'm guessing I need to measure the height of the rear tire and determine what percentage I shrunk in height and add that in to some type of formula.

Next on the list is a pair of 1.5" lift plates to raise the rear to compensate for the loss of ground clearance switching to 17"s. Then raise the forks back up level with the top of the triple tree. Then I should have just about as much clearance as I had before the switch.

Comment

• wickedblockhead
                        • Aug 2009

i hope thats a glass clear lense in yer hood, as im sure the plastic one would melt. im superjealous i didnt think of that hood idea. bike looks great man.

Comment

• carl609
                          • Jan 2010

Cool looking bike man. I like where you are going with it.

Not to be a dick, but I have seen the welding helmet used as a fairing once before

Comment

• tobiism
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by carl609
                            Cool looking bike man. I like where you are going with it.

Not to be a dick, but I have seen the welding helmet used as a fairing once before
                            Thats alright, I would never even compare my shit to theirs, so its no bother to me.

Comment

• shiftace
                              • Aug 2009

i chuckled when I saw the helmet at first, then I laughed more when I saw it on the occ bike...but the rest of your bike is so fucking proper that I'm overlooking it. That gixxer wheel swap is sick and maybe worth doing a write up on as a tech article in the future hint-hint

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;