Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LinkBelt
    • Oct 2010

Always pay attention to where you are laying your tools. I guess I was right at about 16 maybe 17. I had an old Chevy step side that looked like every bull in the pasture had run into it. I was changing the spark plugs. I broke the first plug loose and when I laid the ratchet down I laid it down across both battery post and the battery blew up right next to my face. Luckily there was a water hose close and the only thing that I had problems with was my hearing for about a week.

Comment

• davidabl
      • Nov 2009

Just google for pics of what happens when a stone on your angle grinder explodes...

I lost a lens out of my safety googles once. My hands had stopped shaking by the time i had finished walking over to Harbor Freight to buy a facemask. I couldn't have driven there/ridden a bike or a bicycle, Had to walk.B
      Now always wear safety glasses. Behind the facemask.

Comment

• beanhead78
        • Nov 2009

Originally posted by davidabl
        Just google for pics of what happens when a stone on your angle grinder explodes...

I lost a lens out of my safety googles once. My hands had stopped shaking by the time i had finished walking over to Harbor Freight to buy a facemask. I couldn't have driven there/ridden a bike or a bicycle, Had to walk.B
        Now always wear safety glasses. Behind the facemask.
        i dont care how gay this sounds but i always keep my gaurds on my grinders. had a cutting disc explode on me

Comment

• Carman34L
          • Apr 2011

I usually make sure my FACE is not in the velocity path of an angle grinder. I try to keep the angle of it so if it does go, it aint hittin this sexy mug. Bitches would be disappointed if I scarred up this pretty face.

Comment

• Tito
            • May 2010

Steel Wool LOVES welding and grinding sparks. If I have some on the ground in my garage, and either device is in use, they magically meet and there WILL be a small fire.

They have thankfully all been small fires so far.

Comment

• Bandersnatch
              • Dec 2011

When using a bench grinder, use your head. Inevitably, whatever you are working on, at some point in your life will get ripped out of your hands. Always put the trajectory aimed at a wall. That way you can find that piece of steel when it lodges itself into your wall. Also, never use a nail as a tool. My Ma tried to make a lawnmower key out of one for like the fiftieth time. Well, It did indeed stick her right in the eye when she hit it with a hammer. Doc saved it and oddly enough the scarring corrected her vision.

And banging two hammers together, despite what Mythbusters thought they proved, is dangerous. It happened to my stepdad. Banged them together after he finished building a workbench like it was a victory and a chunk shot off into his leg like a bullet. No BS, it started to travel up his thigh towards his business before my mom figured they could hold it in place with a magnet. They ended up cutting it out in the ER a good six inched above where it went in. Ma's still got the hammer that did it. I don't think I want it around in my garage.

Comment

• ACXL1K
                • Sep 2011

Close call? How about this one...I narrowly averted kicking my buddy ass. It was near sunset, he wanted to try my new old Sporty out. He hopped on, started it up and thought "How much gas is in the tank?" Proceeded to remove the cap to look in the tank , but it was too dark to see the gas in the can. Now I am standing right there, watching events unfold as he reaches into his pocket and...yep you guessed it, he pulls out his trusty Zippo. It all happened so fast I could not say "whoa!" before he sparked itover the tank. The vapors from the nearlly 1-1/2 gallons of fuel caught on fire right there at the mouth of the tank. They danced from side to side in an almost mezmerizing way before I was able to catch my breath enough to blow the flame as he dropped his Zippo and slammed the cap on the opening. Disaster averted! God was with us that day and he must not have wanted me to beat the shit out of my friend while we wre both drenched in burning gasoline. Lesson- known before hand, but now cemented in my mind...

Comment

• BillyT
                  • Dec 2010

Just finished a weld on my exhaust... flipped up the hood, bobbled the filler rod, swung around my hand and went right into my mouth...

Was fun telling everyone for a week or so that I didn't have herpes. This was 6 days after it happened.

Not sure what piece of advice I can garner from this... One in a million shot, Doc... One in a million

Comment

• ACXL1K
                    • Sep 2011

Something simular happened to me when I was a teenager, sitting outside on my mom's front porch step, middle of the night, smokin' some bud, stood-up, started to walk out towards my car, got a little light headed,next thing I remember is staring at the tire of my car as my head was bouncing off the ground. Busted my lip and had to explain to my mom the next morning that I rolled out of bed in my sleep and hit the nightstand- as for my friends, I had to tell the truth, cuz they would never believe the nightstand story...LOL

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                      • Apr 2010

Use aloe vera gel on your burn, thas whats used on the rez

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                        • Apr 2010

Originally posted by 53rigid
                        Maybe this counts owards personal safety, but having just finished my 53 pan with my very first open primary drive, I fired it up and swung my leg over and promptly got my baggy sweatpant leg caught in the clutch basket. It wound it so tight that not only did it rip the pants completely in half, but actually stopped the motor. Took me a few minutes of embarrassed red faced yelling to get the wife out to help me unwrap my leg from it. I am also pretty sure none of the neighbors saw me though. Watch yer legs!
                        This was the best, fucking hilarious, bet it scared the fuck out of you, hilarious. Good to read that you averted serious disaster, bet your wife was scared also along with hehehe, good ass read cowboy.

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by motorlou
                          i was turning on a bike i just finished for the first time after reassembly in my garage. was using a piece of hose and funnel for gas cause the tank wasn't quite finished yet. anyhow, i let the bike idle for a bit till warm then i start revving the bitch up. all of a sudden the fucken funnel comes off the hose and all the gas falls on the engine/pipes!!! wooooosh fuckin ball of fire. no extinguisher, no hose for water!!! damn, i had to throw the bitch out until the fire stopped!!! no major damage besides a melted paintjob on the engine, partial frame and wireing charred. there was a nice film of black soot on my garage ceiling. you can bet i have an extinguisher in there now though!!!
                          Another good one, hilarious.

Comment

• cros36
                            • Dec 2010

ill second arby's brake piston story. i felt the wind off of the piston as it so narrowly missed my face on its way to take a chunk out of the brick wall.

i think prevention is just as important. when going back and forth from cut offs to stones or flap disks, i always unplug my grinder. saftey glasses when sparks or carb/brake cleaners are being used. anything not cotton turns into plastic as it melts into and tries to replace your skin. and my favorite, for the most part, hot metal looks exactly like cold metal.

Comment

• starwolf
                              • Apr 2024

I think I was about 20, I accidentally set my old mans car on fire,(it was a bucket anyways) attempting to utilize a fuel can and section of fuel line with my finger over the end, as a gravity fed supply to prime the carb, (not sure why the fuck I didnt just splash a little in the carb right out of the can, but the hose seemed like a good idea at the time,I was likely stoned) a bit of fuel spilled around the carb, he hit the ignition,and WHOOOSH !, ENORMOUS FIREBALL ! I removed the container of fuel from the roof of the car and called 911,thankfully the fire station was only 4 or 5 blocks from the house. Though the car was a total loss, the fire breached the firewall (amazingly) and melted the dash and all wiring severely,and the windshield busted out. We didn't have an extinguisher, all we could do is watch and hope to fuck it didnt blow up,as it was parked next to the house. There are 2 morals to this story;a.) if your carb(s) is/are leaky, your petcock is leaky,or you have other fuel leaks, fix them now,b.) have an extinguisher on hand,even a small automotive one for the saddle bag isn't a bad idea. You will regret it when your shits on fire, if you don't fix those leaks or aren't prepared to deal with an unexpected fire !
                              Its better to have it (an extinguisher) and not need it, than to NEED it, and NOT have it !
                              Last edited by Guest; 01-31-2012, 2:28 PM.

Comment

• Zooligan
                                • Oct 2009

Originally posted by starwolf
                                Its better to have it (an extinguisher) and not need it, than to NEED it, and NOT have it !
                                Like a gun.

But unlike a condom.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;