Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grat
    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by coolant
    No matter what I did it leaked. Never burned a drop but leaked everywhere . It was strong and never quit on me no matter what I did. But fuck man that thibg poured oil. It's an old motor, if it doesn't leak than that's a miracle .
    This is what I've always heard. I rebuild the top end, but haven't touched the bottom end or primary either. It runs great But it's a 35 year old bike with 35 year old gaskets, guess I'll keep on runnin it & not worry about it too much

Comment

• geoulri1
      • Apr 2024

com'on guys we all know Harleys don't leak , they sweat speed

Comment

• xllance
        • Apr 2024

If some dipshit previous owner wouldn't have stripped the crankcase and primary plug threads I don't think mine would leak at all.....this week anyway.

Comment

• Ramzilla
          • Oct 2013

Mine will leak a few drops a day. I don't sweat that shit a bit but if it were leaking pancake size puddles I would have to fix that shit.

Comment

• TwoLaneFever
            • Apr 2024

ok if it is old stuff running yeah they leak,, so you know it has oil that way hahhaha old bikes do what they do ,all depends on last" checkup "if ever done on the bike.

Comment

• farmall
              • Apr 2013

If it doesn't impair function or endanger the machine or operator, fuck it, it's springtime and time to ride.

Lots of perfectly good vehicles leak. We used to joke if an F-4 Phantom didn't have all it's puddles during preflight something wasn't serviced. "Rag wrench" em and monitor for excess drooling, no biggee.

I use the glue option, but I glue to the outer cover, let dry, then grease the inner side of the gasket. It's more for installation convenience as a good gasket will conform pretty well.

Careful hand scraping (hold scraper perpendicular to surface) can debur gasket surfaces, and if a cover is off the bike you can lay a file across it then, pressing gently with the palm of your hand, swirl in a circular motion to smooth a fucked up cover. Some folks lap their covers flat on a sheet of plate glass, but I'm not that motivated.

Comment

• kopcicle
                • May 2012

Originally posted by kromsucks
                my ironhead sportster leaks ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of oil i was wondering how much oil leak is normal
                ...how much is in it ?

On a more serious note , Hylomar , Red aviation hi tack (in spray or brush on ) and Yamabond . Have a greybeard show you how to deal with the pushrod covers . Breather timing is essential to long term leak free operation .

~kop

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;