Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kromsucks
    • Aug 2009

how much oil should a ironhead leak

my ironhead sportster leaks ALOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of oil i was wondering how much oil leak is normal
  • clark
    • Sep 2009

My 79 doesnt leak at all,but did before i change the primary cover gasket....teaspoon a day.

Comment

• elTee
      • Aug 2009

A couple dimes & a quarter on a hot day is acceptable to me, but then again im not very picky,
      probly important where its leaking from too.

Comment

• CabritoLoco
        • Aug 2009

none...

i'm inclined to say none...but like elTee says, a couple of quarters on a hot day is acceptable i guess. if i'd get off my butt and fix the oil lne fittings it could probably be none though.

just out of curiosity, where is it leaking from?

Comment

• oildevil13
          • Aug 2009

My Triumph oft compared to the Ironhead for leakiness... is bleeding like shes been SHOT at the moment. Ideally they dont leak at all. A few spots here and there, mine usually puddle a tad. Oils cheaper than gaskets here lately.
          Leaks alot parked at the bar for a couple hours, or leaks a lake when left over night or a couple days?

Ive been trying to make my own gaskets, with usually poor results. Its fun though, and makes me feel like Im trying to fix her, even though Im really stalling.
          Last edited by oildevil13; 09-08-2009, 2:27 AM.

Comment

• kromsucks
            • Aug 2009

it leaks out of the primary cover and it leaves about a pancake every 2 or 3 days

Comment

• mplsdave
              • Aug 2009

my ironhead leaks alot, i mean alot alot compared to your quarters. i just keep filling it and keep riding. my oil leaks are really the least of my scooters problems, so it doesnt bother me much. i suggest just parking in the garage over a pile of oildry. and yes, im serious.

Comment

• ironpusher
                • Sep 2009

A primary gasket is pretty easy to do, and probably really worth it if you aren't filling it back up adequately because oil is kind of important there with all them moving parts. I have a few you could have if you are close.

Comment

• CabritoLoco
                  • Aug 2009

your cover may be warped or just the face of it no straight and square, go here http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=465866 scroll bout halfway down, look either under the "gar" section or in the "make your own gaskets" section, can't remember which. and while your there, read EVERYTHING. it will be worth it.

just out of curiosity, are you sure it's the cam cover? have you looked at your cases closely?

good luck.

Comment

• currysurr
                    • Aug 2009

Mine leaks some, maybe the quarter size everyone else talks about on average, but like everyone else, a hot day with lots of riding, I expect to see a little more.

I just replaced my primary seal so I will see if that helps.

Advice I always got about motorcycles.. its when they stop leaking oil that you have to worry about them.

Comment

• Yamahad
                      • Aug 2009

1000 Cubic Liters/ Hr.

Comment

• TheGooch13
                        • Dec 2010

I always use a fresh old paper type gasket on my 70 and high tack from autozone and glue that sum bitch shut. Doesn't leak a drop out of the cover. Easy dead blow action to knock it loose and repeat..........

Comment

• grat
                          • Mar 2013

Is this too much oil loss?

I took it for a 30 min ride yesterday (the temperature was around 85) and parked it in the garage for about a day.

Comment

• coolant
                            • Aug 2011

Ok ,, my first bike was a 68 xlch mag fired kick only motor. Took me a while to get it to run right but once it did it was unstoppable . No matter what I did it leaked. Never burned a drop but leaked everywhere . It was strong and never quit on me no matter what I did. But fuck man that thibg poured oil. It's an old motor, if it doesn't leak than that's a miracle . I dobt mean the engine that just came back from a rebuild, I mean the engine that's got time and if it's an ironhead chances are it's been used pretty good even neglected. If you look at the new motors inside they have a coating that seals porous cast cases that the old motors don't have, I don't know what it is I'm still learning. But from wgat I understand, the old engines, if not been rebuilt, will tend to leak no matter what, doesn't mean it's hurt . But at some point, she deserves a rebuild . All I know is, I rode my for 7 years , leaked everywhere , and ran like a champ. Hope that helps

Comment

• Stay24k
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by coolant
                              If you look at the new motors inside they have a coating that seals porous cast cases that the old motors don't have, I don't know what it is I'm still learning.
                              I know alot of people use Glyptal. The red enamel coating seen on any number of cases

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;