Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kingdeadbeat
    • Aug 2009

Does the sissybar mount to the fender, which is mounted to the frame, which is mounted to those struts...THAT MOVE????

Comment

• hutchings
      • Sep 2010

From what I can see from the pics is that the license plate is mounted to the fender, but the sissy bar is just mounted to the swingarm. Looks like a couple "eyes" attached on the fender to steady the sissy bar but i'm assuming the sissy bar can float up and down with the swingarm...

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk

Comment

• gieser86
        • Jan 2012

[ATTACH]23068[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Japexican
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by hutchings
          From what I can see from the pics is that the license plate is mounted to the fender, but the sissy bar is just mounted to the swingarm. Looks like a couple "eyes" attached on the fender to steady the sissy bar but i'm assuming the sissy bar can float up and down with the swingarm...

That's exactly what I did Hutchings.
          -Built a bracket so the sissy bar can mount next to the the bottom strut. The two ground rod clamps attached to the fender is to keep the sissy bar from moving forward and back. I ended up buying larger ground rod clamps (instead of 1/2" ones) so there could still be enough room for the sissy bar to move up and down with the swingarm.

Why do you guys/gals think it might be cutting it close? The idea worked out in my head when I was making it. Tested it last night around the neighborhood...didn't seem like a problem. Will test it on the main road when the weather allows it.
          Last edited by Japexican; 01-30-2012, 7:27 AM.

Comment

• hutchings
            • Sep 2010

It looks good japexican, I'd just be curious if it had some weight on it how sturdy it would be. Although those springs dont have much travel, its going to be constantly rubbing the paint off that sissy bar.

Seen this on mercury motos site, looks neat, not sure if it work for your application or not though...

Comment

• BuddhahoodVato
              • Apr 2010

choppies

Site informed me i needed to write something, american pig iron on the hoof cowboys. self promotion, shameless
              Attached Files

Comment

• Japexican
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by hutchings
                It looks good japexican, I'd just be curious if it had some weight on it how sturdy it would be. Although those springs dont have much travel, its going to be constantly rubbing the paint off that sissy bar.

Seen this on mercury motos site, looks neat, not sure if it work for your application or not though...

Good point...I see what your talking about. Haven't taken the bike down the highway so haven't really tested it the way I wanted too. But I was originally going to make a sissy bar similar to the picture. Harley made a sissy bar somewhat similar. Might do some tweaking to the bar this week. Still have almost 2 weeks off...so I got nothing but time. Thanks for the suggestions...it helps out.
                I want to make sure its good before I hit about 70ish down the highway.

Comment

• tnichoson
                  • Sep 2009

[ATTACH]23143[/ATTACH]

Comment

• Crazy
                    • Apr 2024

Nothing much,

Comment

• Ferguson
                      • Jan 2012

MY 07 DYNA

Comment

• Ansutton21
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by gonzoguilt
                        First post, thought I've been sniffin around the classifieds and forums for a while. Here's my baby.

Photobucket
                        Again man, this thing is radass!

Comment

• RigMan
                          • Dec 2011

Crazy, cool Sporty. Is that a 150 tire up front. Later.

Comment

• Crazy
                            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by RigMan
                            Crazy, cool Sporty. Is that a 150 tire up front. Later.
                            Stock front, its a 130. Rear is a 150.

Comment

• Japexican
                              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Japexican
                              Good point...I see what your talking about. Haven't taken the bike down the highway so haven't really tested it the way I wanted too. But I was originally going to make a sissy bar similar to the picture. Harley made a sissy bar somewhat similar. Might do some tweaking to the bar this week. Still have almost 2 weeks off...so I got nothing but time. Thanks for the suggestions...it helps out.
                              I want to make sure its good before I hit about 70ish down the highway.
                              Hey Hutchings,
                              Today the temp was good enough for most of the ice to melt. So I took my chance out for a ride. Tested the sissy bar around 70ish mph. First I just want to say the spitfire springer struts are awesome. I know most people say they can't tell the difference...but I could over the rigid struts. Not with crazy suspension..but enough to sell me in keeping them. The weather was to cold for the wife to ride...but I want to get her opinion as the passenger for it.
                              Now as for the sissy bar. It didn't bust or have any real issues. The only thing that pissed me off was the ringing it makes at higher speeds. Because of the leeway on the ground clamps (attached to the rear fender)....the damn thing rattles. Gets a little annoying..but that is pretty much it. The sissy bar did not scratch up so much also.

Here is the sissy bar after the ride. Actually couldn't see so much of the scratches until I removed it.

I'm going to just mount the sissy bar to the frame like most of the Harley Sportster sissy bars are. Here is a example. Still need to do some more bending...this was just extra stuff hanging around.

Guess its always a bunch of trial and error right? Thanks for the pics...gave me some ideas on how I'm going to mount the new sissy bar.

Comment

• hutchings
                                • Sep 2010

True enough japexican, someone has to be the test pilot! Haha, good to know though if I ever put a sissy on my bike.

I like the second option better, looks cleaner, more rigid, and definitely more secure.

I really like those plates merc made up, i'm gonna have to find out if they'll fit up to the efi bikes frame.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;