Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • neptune70
    • Sep 2010

Carb Adustment

OK, so I did a rejet to the slow speed jet, moved up to a #48. I adjusted the idle to about 1200rpm. I tightened the idle mixture screw all the way in and turned it out 2.5 turns. Now if backfires rolling to a stop just like before the rejet? And when I start it cold after a long ride it backfires like a canon? All these adj. were given to me by my local mechanic that wont do rejetting because its in california and not allowed. All this started because I swapped my stock racetrack air cleaner with a Ness big sucker cleaner system. Any advise? I dont want to use another mechanic thats going to charge 150 bones to adjust it!! Thnx. Its a 98 1200 sporty.
    Attached Files
  • RedRyan
    • Apr 2024

Otherwise stock cv carb? I would try 3 to 3.5 turns on the idle, and take it back down to a #45. The way I understand it is...idle mixture is for idle (after choke,) slow jet is just off idle, part throttle, and the main takes over around 50-60% throttle.

Did you make the adjustments with a warm or cold engine?

Comment

• garbage
      • Apr 2024

The Facts: I've got a 2002 Evo Sportster. 1200. CV carb, jetted, drag pipes. Was jetted at the dealership when I bought it brand new in 2001. I've never done anything to the carb other than clean it. It's always been cold natured. I've always had to choke it to get it to stay running, winter or summer. Which is weird. A

Comment

• neptune70
        • Sep 2010

carb

Redryan, ya Ill take it out a couple of more turns, and its a stock carb. I have been making the adj with a cold engine. Each time I go out I took a half turn to see if it changed anything? Ill mess with it some more, its a no brainer im sure! Runs fine, just dont like the crackling.

Comment

• Pappycalledmewoops
          • Oct 2010

are you running baffles?

Comment

• Tito
            • May 2010

Originally posted by neptune70
            Now if backfires rolling to a stop just like before the rejet?.
            If I read this right, that sounds like cold air mixing with hot exhaust gas. Exhaust leak.

Comment

• Rudehog
              • Aug 2009

do your idle adj hot running at idle speed, adj the idle a little lower then normal so you are well into the idle circut then slowly turn the idle mix screw in (clockwise) and listen for the idle speed to start dropping then slowly turn the screw out in small increments until you reach the fastest idle speed and then reset your idle screw to the proper idle speed.

Comment

• garbage
                • Apr 2024

no more than 4 turns out. if you gotta go more than 4 your slow jet is too lean.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2010, 10:23 AM. Reason: ?

Comment

• greazy
                  • Oct 2010

try replacing your intake seals

Comment

• neptune70
                    • Sep 2010

Got It! 3 1/4 turns out and adjusted idle up slightly! Runs like a top! Knew it had to be simple, thanks for all the help!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;