Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TravisMc
    • Oct 2010

Nice write up. So in general, do you just use whatever rectifier/regulator that goes with the stator you buy?

Originally posted by Punkskalar
    1: Requires nearly 40 Amps just to "Turn-On" the system. Sucks for almost dead batteries
    I think you mean 40 watts. No way it takes as much power as the starter itself to activate the stock charging system.

Comment

• Punkskalar
      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by TravisMc
      Nice write up. So in general, do you just use whatever rectifier/regulator that goes with the stator you buy?

As long as the stock setup has a 5 wire regulator, then you should be good to go. Just look for 3 yellow wires

Comment

• howiejdog
        • Aug 2009

Originally posted by XS2rat
        i pieced together this setup with mr. riggs's bracket and it's working well.

my question is how many of all of you have done this swap and are running without a battery?

after losing yet another wet acid battery from vibration i decided to hook in the capacitor i had lying around and sure enough the bike fired right up and ran fine off idle but the bike starts to break up at idle. after talking back and forth with mr riggs about it he advises switching to an HEI setup pieced together for about $19 from junkyard parts to keep the power draw from the ignition much lower than with points or the pamco ignition. he also advises switching to LED lights to draw less power. with these two modifications im told the bike will have plenty of juice from the PMA at idle to run ignition, lights, and still read about 13 volts if i remember correctly. im in the process of gathering parts for this ignition and he has a thread explaining how to do it if anyone is interested.

my bike runs with points and no battery but i have to turn the idle up higher than im comfortable with to keep it running.

don't want to clutter the thread but just curious if anyone is running with points or pamco with no battery using this setup or has any other tricks that work.
        I have run this setup with a capacitor for about 2 years without a single issue. between this and the pamco, there are less moving parts to fail and it starts second kick every time (first kick charges the capacitor) Idle has to be bumped up a little (50 watt headlight), but other than that it has been great!

Comment

• coachstorms
          • Mar 2024

Awesome write up, I'm going parts hunting this week. I have a quick question, maybe this was just a typo but why the difference?

"Here is what you will need:

Used Parts:

1. YFZ350 Banshee Stator Bracket - Usually about $10-20 on Ebay
          2. 3 Phase Stator -Can be found anywhere from $20 on up on ebay. Will put a list of useable stators below.
          3. YFZ250 Banshee Flywheel. "

Comment

• Punkskalar
            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by coachstorms
            Awesome write up, I'm going parts hunting this week. I have a quick question, maybe this was just a typo but why the difference?

"Here is what you will need:

Used Parts:

1. YFZ350 Banshee Stator Bracket - Usually about $10-20 on Ebay
            2. 3 Phase Stator -Can be found anywhere from $20 on up on ebay. Will put a list of useable stators below.
            3. YFZ250 Banshee Flywheel. "

Type, thanks for noticing, I'll fix it for us

Comment

• Trav101
              • Apr 2010

Im runnin no battery with a pamco ignition system, the banshee rotor with a Mr. Riggs adapter. My stator and reg rectifier both came off a 91 ninja 600. Starts easy runs well. Theres a little capacitor inline for the lights and such.I ran most wiring in the frame, and is very clean this way. I pulled the starter off tyhe engine and blocked it off. I made a bracket to fit to the starter mounting points and on that bracket mounted the reg/rectifier and the capacitor so its tucked away nice and clean. IM hoping it gets good airflow under the bike that way. No problem so far. I have 2 switches, one for the high low beam and one kill switch. 2 fuses as well. one for the ignition system, one for the lights/horn. I dont actualy have a horn.. but you get the idea.

Comment

• JasonH
                • May 2010

Originally posted by Trav101
                Im runnin no battery with a pamco ignition system, the banshee rotor with a Mr. Riggs adapter. My stator and reg rectifier both came off a 91 ninja 600. Starts easy runs well. Theres a little capacitor inline for the lights and such.I ran most wiring in the frame, and is very clean this way. I pulled the starter off tyhe engine and blocked it off. I made a bracket to fit to the starter mounting points and on that bracket mounted the reg/rectifier and the capacitor so its tucked away nice and clean. IM hoping it gets good airflow under the bike that way. No problem so far. I have 2 switches, one for the high low beam and one kill switch. 2 fuses as well. one for the ignition system, one for the lights/horn. I dont actualy have a horn.. but you get the idea.
                Trav101 would you mind drawing of a wiring diagram to help me out a little. A picture is worth a thousand words. This is a great write up.

Comment

• XS2rat
                  • Dec 2009

trav101, have you checked what voltage output is with the bike running with lights on at idle? mine dropped below 12v at idle with the lights on. do you have regular bulbs or LED? and if you have a tach what is the idle set at? i have no tach but liked my bike to idle on the low side, prob somewhere below 1000 rpm. cant pull this off without the battery.

Comment

• JH282
                    • May 2010

XS2rat, buy this thing... http://cgi.ebay.com/12Volt-0-8amp-ho...item43a24ca1de ...works great. Sealed, smaller than most 10,000uf capacitors, bright lights, smooth idle, decent reserve.

Comment

• Punkskalar
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by JH282
                      XS2rat, buy this thing... http://cgi.ebay.com/12Volt-0-8amp-ho...item43a24ca1de ...works great. Sealed, smaller than most 10,000uf capacitors, bright lights, smooth idle, decent reserve.
                      JH282's setup uses my hardware kit and that exact battery, it works very well I'll step in and add this much. His bike is his only transportation, and he has to rely on it daily. His is also setup with a Pamcopete ignition system for the ultimate in reliability...

Hugh

Comment

• XS2rat
                        • Dec 2009

ah that looks like the ticket. thanks

Comment

• coachstorms
                          • Mar 2024

struck out

never mind...got it all from the bansheehq forums.
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-14-2010, 2:01 PM.

Comment

• howiejdog
                            • Aug 2009

That's funny, cause I had one of those batteries quit after about 3 months. I think it just couldn't handle the over charging... Just a guess though. Apparently others have had good luck with them. I just went back to the capacitor and all was well. How long have you two (punk, xs2) been running them?

Comment

• XS2rat
                              • Dec 2009

havent run one of those batteries yet but the price is right to give it a try. i need to recheck my bike to see if its overcharging because i dont trust my old analog multimeter. its reading right around 14.8V which i think is just about the point of overcharging. dont want to fry another battery for no reason. i have my bike running on the capacitor right now but cant get the idle too low or it cuts out.

Comment

• Punkskalar
                                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by XS2rat
                                havent run one of those batteries yet but the price is right to give it a try. i need to recheck my bike to see if its overcharging because i dont trust my old analog multimeter. its reading right around 14.8V which i think is just about the point of overcharging. dont want to fry another battery for no reason. i have my bike running on the capacitor right now but cant get the idle too low or it cuts out.
                                Yeah, even that small battery that JH282 is running would allow a lower idle. I use a 4LBS AGM battery on my bike, mostly because I already had a bracket welded on the frame and powdercoated. Otherwise, i would be running that little battery...

Hugh

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;