CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Carhartt

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Carhartt

Anyone ever go down wearing a Carhartt? If so how well did it protect you?

Getting cold and I don't know if I want to fork out the money for a good leather coat or not.

Get Adobe Flash player

I've not went down with mine but I wear it on the bike all the time in fall/spring.

Get Adobe Flash player

Man up and buy the leather! If you want to stay mildly warm buy the Carhart if you want protection you cant replace leather or an armor jacket.

LinkHogthrob

Quote Originally Posted by bluufunk View Post

Getting cold and I don't know if I want to fork out the money for a good leather coat or not.
    Depends on what "cold" is to you. I've got a lined denim version thats about 13 years old; any colder than 60 degrees and I might as well just skip the jacket and wear a long sleeve shirt. It won't stop wind chill for shit.

Get Adobe Flash player

get the leather man. definately the best in my opinion

Get Adobe Flash player

go down to your local salvation army or good will. youll probably find a dozen leather jackets of all shapes and sizes. carhartts nice and all, but it wont block wind or water and it wont hold up if you go down like leather. in fact, if youre a 46, ive got a leather if you want it.

Get Adobe Flash player

If you're lookin for protection, get a real motorcycle leather jacket. They're thicker and have heavier duty stitching than fashion jackets. If you're real serious about protection, look for CE approved armor in the elbows, shoulders and back... Check out the closeouts on www.newenough.com - they've usually got some sick deals.

Get Adobe Flash player

I don't know what kind of weather you guys ride in and I agree that leather is the best for protection and it is good as a windblock, but it doesn't keep you warm for shit. Since I like leather jackets to be really tight (to prevent wind flapping) I can't really layer under it either.

Get Adobe Flash player

I just got a leather, first one used to ride the carhart it worked ok but Less wind in the leather so kool to me. I went down in a t shirt and dickies work pants only going about 30 or so the pants held up, I tell almost everybody I see to watch out for bikes or I will cut them!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by themaninblack View Post
    I don't know what kind of weather you guys ride in and I agree that leather is the best for protection and it is good as a windblock, but it doesn't keep you warm for shit. Since I like leather jackets to be really tight (to prevent wind flapping) I can't really layer under it either.
    wear a vest underneath. i know vest are ghey, but in the summer it keeps my shirt from coming up over my head, and in the winter it adds another layer of windbreak.

Get Adobe Flash player

My leather motorcycle jacket has a zip in liner that keeps me warm but I always ride with a hoodie and thermals on in the winter. It helps.

Get Adobe Flash player

Carhart bib, lined leather jacket and Carhart vest on top and some very expensive gloves to
    keep warm. I ride to work when it's 40degrees in the morning and I'm fine.

Get Adobe Flash player

You can either spend the money on the riding gear or the ER. It's really up to you. Experience hurts.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey Bro, never laid the bike over with my carhartt on but I will tell you I am a Union Ironworker down here in Texas and we put ours through a lot even seen em catch on fire and still be worn the next day. The carhartt brand is tuff shit.

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks for all of the responses. I didn't even think about it but my Carhartt is probably too baggy to be a good coat anyway. Shit on it, looks like i'm going to fork over the money for a leather. Thanks again.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a heavy ass flannel shirt that is 100% wool outer, and has a two part liner. Moose Creek is the brand and is kick ass. I also have a Carhartt denim vest that is lined and for most of the year here in SoCal I never need anything more for coldweather protection. I also wear Carhartt double front pants, the duck ones not the thinner denim, and they are unbeatable. My friend went down in his Carhartt's on the freeway and it just started to wear through the outer layer on the fronts.

All of my stuff is set up to be layered for extreme cold. Flannel, vest, leather jacket, and rain gear if it's really cold helps cut the wind even more. I wear silk thermals, then heavier cotton thermals, under my Carhartt's. I've been down into the low teens with this on and rode for over 8 hours.

Get Adobe Flash player

Leather sucks for warmth. Let's just get that out of the way right off the bat. It's not even that great for blocking wind since most leather has all kinds of places for drafts to get through. If you want to stay warm in the winter then look into products like First Gears textile overpants. They are made for abrasion resistance and are padded and armored in the right places. I ride all year even in the teens and single digits and have not needed anything more than longjohns and jeans under my First Gear pants. For the top I wear a leather jacket mostly because I've had it forever. I WILL however be investing in the matching jacket to my pants as soon as I can afford it. By the way, the link to newenough.com is your friend, use it and you'll be happy ;-P Screw cool, stay warm and ride!
    Later....

Get Adobe Flash player

I find that a hoodie underneath the leather jacket keeps out most of the wind and keeps me very comfortable.

What did you wear in the summer months for "protection" if you went down? sounds like staying warm is the first prioritty, leather up

Get Adobe Flash player

I wear an insulated Carhartt vest UNDER my leather coat. Not to bulky and good 'n warm!

Bill in SC

Share This