Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vnygra
    • Aug 2010

TECH: Build a wheel vise

Well I posted this last night before I saw the choptember sticky and it won't let me edit the title on the main forum screen so here it is again. Sorry

Well about 2 weeks ago i picked up the HF 1000lb. motorcycle lift table. 290 out the door. i read reviews about it before purchasing it (being HF and all) and it seemed the only negative thing people had to say about it was that the wheel vise sucked. i tried "altering" it the day i got it by putting some angle iron up from it, but the thing is just a POS. I had looked up some vises to buy online, but just couldn't see spending 80-120 for a vise. so yesterday i got around to making one. i thought id do a little how to on it, and actually remembered to take some pics of the "durring" part.

Got all the materials from Lowes with the exception of the two pieces of pipe which i had laying around. Also, it appears no store near us sells square tubing so the square tubing you see in the pics is actually 2 pieces of angle iron welded all the way down the seams.

Started with this

Cut maybe half of the outer sleeve off to make it shorter, the jack originally had 14'' of travel in it, after cutting it up it has about 6''

here it is after the inner sleeve was cut and the end piece for the outer sleeve was welded back on. The end piece has a tounge on it that slides in the groove on the inner sleeve

my back tire was awfully close to the back of the lift so i extended the front stop while i was at this

Heres the stationary side of the vise. Measured center on the table, then to the right half the width of my front wheel, which was 1 5/8'' this side of the vise is welded straight to the table

to avoid having to keep puting my bike on it, or welding near the tire i made this out of a kids pool (was going in the garbage anyway). Its the same size as my front wheel (21'', with avon tire) ended up being 27''

from the other side

this is the other moving side of the vise. same as the stationary side except i used the square tubing for the bottom section. here it also has the inner sleeve of the vise welded to it. Very important that it is straight

heres the same piece, with the outer sleeve on it and the brackets welded on. Those legs are what will secure it to the table.

here it is all finished and painted, and by the way, valspar rattle cans suck.

All together it was $39 for material including the utility jack.
  • me
    • Dec 2009

awesome!

Comment

• nerdsports
      • Mar 2010

kick ass garage!!

Comment

• Markee
        • Sep 2009

nice fix, the garage is cool too

Comment

• originalrumrunner
          • Oct 2009

It's great that you painted it, you should make up some story about it being in the Harbor Freight catalog, so that dudes go crazy trying to find it...

Comment

• vnygra
            • Aug 2010

Originally posted by originalrumrunner
            It's great that you painted it, you should make up some story about it being in the Harbor Freight catalog, so that dudes go crazy trying to find it...
            Haha. Yea. I was a free upgrade with a coupon. And then post a link that doesn't work

Comment

• BRITISH
              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by vnygra
              Haha. Yea. I was a free upgrade with a coupon. And then post a link that doesn't work
              Nice job you are not as dumb as you look.

Comment

• vnygra
                • Aug 2010

What!!! Haha

Comment

• deadbird
                  • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Markee
                  nice fix, the garage is cool too

Agreed!

Comment

• jrotten1369
                    • Dec 2009

Looks good. I will copy that when I save up to buy one.

Comment

• Gdirty
                      • Oct 2010

Awesome stuff, you gave me mind "fodder" for my own pos lift that I use cargo straps on!!! Thanks

Comment

• Wayland137
                        • Dec 2010

Great idea and sweet garage! it would probably look better with a Miller High Life banner instead of Coors (just fucking with ya)

Comment

• Soames
                          • Sep 2009

Nice writeup. I have that same pos lift and this little mod will do the fucking trick. Thanks.

Comment

• JakenBake
                            • Feb 2011

I second the garage comment man..

Comment

• some1else
                              • Jun 2011

good idea ,nicely done ,but I think I have a coupon for a free upgrade just cant get the link to work

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;