CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 3 of 3 First 123

As much as I hate what harley has become I ride one. I find my "fuck your bagger" patch gets the most attention from 30 grand 30 miles guys. I'd run an upside harley patch but I'm not going to buy one to do it. I ended up with a highway patrol patch for my state and rock it upside down and go figure the first person to get butt hurt was the guy working the parts counter at my local harley dealer because he was a highway patrolman. Dick eater didn't want to sell me parts hahaha.

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

It's just a fucking Harley patch. I doubt if anyone really gives a shit what you do with it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Installing the patch upside down is popular in Australia, but then everything down under is upside down.

Bob

Get Adobe Flash player

Upside down tank badges on AMF era HD's are a statement to say "Fuck You" HD. Because HD has a hard time recognizing AMF HD's a real HD's.

Bottom line, AMF saved an American legend.

Get Adobe Flash player

There isn't much you could do with it that isn't lame since, well, HD patches are lame. Maybe nail it to a shop wall.

FTF is ancient history and nearly all "biker" memes are so old they are lamed out. Wearing it upside down on a Polaris shirt could be amusing...

Bottom line, AMF saved an American legend.
    Yes, they did. HD was being run into the ground by family and management. AMF saved HD, then the same management who ran it under AMF bought it out. Motorcycle company internal politics helped kill the Indian and the British makes (modern Triumph has only spiritual connection to Meriden). It nearly killed HD.

Harley propaganda is interesting. I laughed my ass off at their decision to retool with Jap machine tools instead of Cincinnati Milacron when I read it in Motorcycle Dealer News back in the 1980s.
    Last edited by farmall; 11-19-2016 at 6:46 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post

Yes, they did. HD was being run into the ground by family and management. AMF saved HD, then the same management who ran it under AMF bought it out.

Not many realize most of the AMF problems w/the bikes, came from disgruntled employees on the assembly lines. They were sabotaging the bikes on the line.

Get Adobe Flash player

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails BDEFE966-7999-41A9-A428-0DFA6547A29B-889-000000DBFF391D00_tmp.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by dozen View Post
    Not scared haha, just not wanting to be associated with anything that has meaning I don't agree with.
    Then why own and ride a Harley if you don't want too be associated with anything that has meaning?

Get Adobe Flash player

I also heard that certain clubs started that because they figured the factory made money off them. I heard the amf story too.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have not seen this in many years. As some folks noted, Snow and the guys at the old "Iron Horse" magazine started "Flip the Patch". The upside down HD wings supposedly meant you would not buy a new bike from the factory. The intent was to build your own bike from swap meet and independent dealer parts instead of buying a bike off the showroom floor. Like all these magazine ideas, it had a large vocal following but very little effect. I think that was in the late 80s or early 90s. I've got some old IH magazines from that time and I'll have to look at some as to when they started this idea. If anyone is interested in Snow, he is tattooing in Little Rock, AR and is on the Ironhead Sportster forum occasionally. In the early 80s when I was riding with the wild boys, some of them turned their HD emblems upside down on their tanks. It was more a nonconformist thing then a protest on AMF. AMF was pretty much going or gone during those years. I agree if AMF had not stepped in, Harley would likely be an obsolete breed or belong to a Japanese company. Harley was on the ropes and did not have the capital to improve their tooling or continue as a company. AMF stepped in retooled the factories and started a research and development program that led to the EVO motor among other things. The old time factory workers didn't like some of the changes and some early bikes were sabotaged. I personally removed a 9/16" wrench from a shovelhead transmission. It wasn't an accident that it was left there.

Share This