CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 92 of 104 First ... 42829091929394102 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by TCF View Post
    I've been searching here and over at Vtwin forum and there is a lot of mentions of using FabKevin's upgrade. Has anyone done that?
    His stuff is nice enough but expensive. Ebay/the big catalogues do cheaper alternatives.

Is yours a single or double disk?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by xMPRx View Post
    bought this 1990 fxr today. bike is so clean with 20k miles. I think i have to just leave it stock!
    Chassis, yes ... but stick a cam in it please.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by None View Post
    His stuff is nice enough but expensive. Ebay/the big catalogues do cheaper alternatives.

Is yours a single or double disk?
    Single disk- Thanks man.

Get Adobe Flash player

Hey all

Bought a 94 FXR out of Florida last year... it was kind of a mess. Lots of after market skulls (not my thing) and the engine was leaking a lot of oil then the pipes busted off at the heads while on a long trip.

Now, I just finished rebuilding the top end (with a lot of help- I am very new to mechanical stuff) and made some upgrades (andrews cam, cleaned up the carb, air cleaner).

Next up

Brakes- any pro tips on best way to upgrade brakes?
    Bars and fairing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2419.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	282.7 KB 
ID:	71471

Get Adobe Flash player

I run a GMA 400 4 pot caliper and ferodo floating disc on the front of my FXR. Big improvement for not a huge cost-works good with standard master cylinder.I run braided lines too.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
    I run a GMA 400 4 pot caliper and ferodo floating disc on the front of my FXR. Big improvement for not a huge cost-works good with standard master cylinder.I run braided lines too.
    Thanks Hoghead... So, brake work is all new to me. Any good resources of making these upgrades? I see a lot of posts on what folks put on but not much on the process of how they made the upgrades. I assume it is more complicated than just switching out the old for the new?

Get Adobe Flash player

Not really- GMA caliper comes ready to bolt on with everything req'd and good instructions. Not quite as involved as the work on the bike in the photo attached!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Satan's spawn.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	71472

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by None View Post
    Chassis, yes ... but stick a cam in it please.
    already has a crane cam in it. guy wasent sure on the exact grind but it rips for sure.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's what I did. Bought some 2000+ 4 piston touring calipers and used some brackets from "Chuck Palumbo Customs" on eGay. I think Custom Chrome sells them also. They had to be shimmed but everything works well.

These adaptors will allow you to run 2000+ calipers.

I'm swapping the lowers to 2000+ models so no need for brackets. The calipers do need to be shimmed about 2mm though.

Get Adobe Flash player

what the part number for the 2000+ right lower?

Get Adobe Flash player

I got one for sale Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	71530Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	71531

Get Adobe Flash player

Figured I'd post a pic before I do any real changes.

Name:	fxrrrrrr.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	282.7 KB 
ID:	71570

Heres my bike, 87 FXLR. Bought it a few months ago, and really just got it running right in the last couple weeks. The PO is an ASSHOLE. I love it.

Im about to strip everything down, remove signals, Probably 8 inch apes with 6 inch risers, no tach, no speedo. Paint the dash and side covers black, the chrome is fucked on those. I want to keep it more classic-looking than the t bar and high gauges thing that everyone is doing today. I still want a performing bike, just not one that looks like i should be wearing a simpson helmet and a vest.

Anyone have any pictures of FXR's done this way? Seems they're either stock or club style, or some other abomonation.

My other question is tires. Everyone says that you cant get a good vintage-looking tire and one that performs. Whats out there that doesnt look like a sportbike tire, but will still be good for longevity and riding. I plan on putting a LOT of miles on this bike next year once I move out of the city, and the tires that are on here are roached anyway. Im looking at the ME 880s as they dont really have that sportbike tread pattern, and I hate the way the dunlop/avon that are on there look. Dont get me wrong though, im not about to put speedmasters or anything on here, just want something kinda like the dunlop qualifiers that they use to make. Anything else out there?

Get Adobe Flash player

A member here named Convergecult did his up in a more friendly, non-club-style and it looks great. He has pictures in this thread somewhere.

Name:	IMG_1707.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	291.0 KB 
ID:	71575

so, after looking for one a long time, i found this 20 min from home. -93 very low milage, all stock parts was in the deal...happy times

donīt know how to flip the pic, but you get the idea.
    Last edited by jyx; 08-18-2016 at 2:01 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by SquashThatFly View Post
    tossed the fairing. didnt like it.

Hey is this the mustang seat? Or the la Perra Daytona seat? Havin a really hard time trying to pick which one to get. They both look so good. The Daytona looks a little sleeker

Get Adobe Flash player

My swingarm is worn to shit where the rear axle sits. It's basically notched at this point so I can't adjust the wheel and it's worn more so on the right side than the drive side, so it's thrown my alignment off causing wobbles at high speeds as well as my brake rotor touching the caliper.

Options?
    I don't think I can justify throwing down 1100 on an aluminum swing arm right now and buying a used one for 300 bucks seems like I'll just be buying another swing arm that's worn in at the axle location.

Has anyone else experienced this or repair it themselves?

Get Adobe Flash player

Some people run later bagger swingarms and fuck about with pivot hardware to get it done, but that weighs more and can involve boring the trans case in a mill. vtwinforum has an excellent FXR section with details on all the options.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/harley-davidson-fxr/

An aluminum swingarm is cute but an FXR isn't an MV Agusta. IMO except for real race bikes that's just pissing away money.

Swing arm repair is a pretty basic fab job. Weld up the worn areas then take 'em down with a flap disc, flap wheel and hand files.

That's a VERY worn swingarm. I have over 100K miles on my '88 and it's fine, but I don't leave axle nuts loose. You can fix yours or replace with a good used one.

Do you have all the parts listed in the parts book (buy one if you don't have it)? The axle rides in the axle adjusters and shouldn't wear the swingarm.

Post pics of the damage.

Get Adobe Flash player

Depending on how bad it is you may be able to get away with , picture would help, solid axle adjusters instead of those round pipe type that the fxr comes with that mess up the swingarm. If not weld up like said above but still use the better adjusters.

Quote Originally Posted by ecir45 View Post
    Depending on how bad it is you may be able to get away with , picture would help, solid axle adjusters instead of those round pipe type that the fxr comes with that mess up the swingarm. If not weld up like said above but still use the better adjusters.
    This is exactly what I'm currently doing to mine before they get too bad.

The swing arm has already started collapsing/narrowing slightly from the tightening of the axle.

Here's a pic (just note I'm skimming the blocks down because I got them for free due to being the wrong size. They need about 3mm knocked off on each side and I don't have machinery, just old fashioned files!

Share This