Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stayxcalm
    • Dec 2012

Just picked up this 89 fxrs sp ...super excited about it...got a set of mids but missing a master cylinder....anyone have one laying around?!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140712_181130.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	1274944

Comment

• PanHeadRich
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by jebany
      harley new no drag super efficient piston
      [ATTACH=CONFIG]50061[/ATTACH]

i think i narrowed down to 2 engines, ultima 113 or ultima 120 or maybe 114... any opinions, issues or just stuff i should think about to install a new motor?
      Have you read up much on the various forums about the Ultima Engines? I too love the price of those powerhouse motors but don't have the balls to risk the money. I've read nightmare after nightmare on those engines. I log some miles on my bikes and cruise through deserts quite often as well. So dependability is a priority to me. If I go with a big inch engine, it would have to be an S&S.

Have you ever seen a piston flip inside the cylinder? Check out this thread: http://www.hdforums.com/forum/genera...ed-piston.html. There's many more threads of those engines having serious issues. This motor is the 120.

Comment

• PanHeadRich
        • Jul 2014

I'm sure you a master cylinder on eBay if all else fails. Congrats on the bike though. These FXR's are awesome machines! I'm sure you'll love it as we all do.

Enjoy!

Comment

• jebany
          • May 2014

ive had my bike for a while but have been a little rough on it and the exhaust valve broke and fell in. Did some more research and decided the 113 over the 120. don't have the cash for it right now but i'm 90% sure on it. I like the square bore/stroke of the 120 but the 113 is more proven and better warranty. The break-in is very extensive on those engines and it seems some riders just say eff it and break stuff, definetly alot of piston issues. S&S are not what they used to be and the price went up. The ultima may be a disposible engine but it sure will be fun for a while.

Comment

• backwithabang
            • May 2011

I'm limited to an iphone now guys so forgive me for not searching 53 pages of this thread. But as an fxr Noob. I have some questions about the exhaust on shovel fxr's I have an 83 I just got and have the standard cycle shack shit Dual exhausts, I'm running mids and was wondering if a 2-1 supertrapp or Thunderheader would be worth the search / cost for this bike. I heard that the shovels really don't like them and it may be a jetting nightmare.

Also running a super E. Yes it's standard. Seems to be working pretty damn good and I've had em on a lot of bikes, really never liked them. This one likes just about an 8th of the choke on to run well no matter what I do adjustment wise. I know the whole process of tuning and jetting these things but was wondering if one of those new Mikunis or a CV may be a better choice

Opinions / rants? School me I come from 70s shovels and 60s panheads background, which I was just haply with it running with some balls, not performance. aside from the engine and front end this thing is all new to me. Rubber mounts, an alien looking 5 speed trans and a frame that's similar to an 80s honda hawk design on a harley. But I'm loving it so far. Just interested in some advice/ Info if anyone has some time at work to shoot the shit about some knowledge and best set ups on this particular year

Comment

• ctfxr3
              • Jun 2014

Finally finished painting my '88 got rid of the ugly bud light theme going on and went all black, did the fender struts while I was at it. Got a set of T's on the way need to pick up a narrow front end and some mids.....Click image for larger version

Name:	painted1.jpg
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1274974Click image for larger version

Name:	painted2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	1274975Click image for larger version

Name:	painted3.jpg
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	1274976

Comment

• PanHeadRich
                • Jul 2014

Originally posted by jebany
                ive had my bike for a while but have been a little rough on it and the exhaust valve broke and fell in. Did some more research and decided the 113 over the 120. don't have the cash for it right now but i'm 90% sure on it. I like the square bore/stroke of the 120 but the 113 is more proven and better warranty. The break-in is very extensive on those engines and it seems some riders just say eff it and break stuff, definetly alot of piston issues. S&S are not what they used to be and the price went up. The ultima may be a disposible engine but it sure will be fun for a while.
                Cool, as long as you're aware. And yeah, no doubt it will be fun! I was eyeballing the 120' myself because of the square bore & stroke. I know the S&S 100" was a real smooth motor because of it. And it's easier on the engine allowing them to run high mileage. My most recent S&S favorite is their V111" with the 4-1/8" Bore & Stroke. A friend of mine let me ride his and it's an outstanding engine. He also has another V111" that he only put 2k miles on before selling the bike with it's stock engine back in the frame. He said he'll let me have it for $4k even. So now I'm just trying to scrape the funds together to get that from him. Hell, it's only $250.00 more than the lowest price I found on the Black Ultima 120". So I'd personally prefer the S&S. Best wishes on your project, that thing will be a monster!

Comment

• bigxrdoug
                  • May 2011

change the lifters,these are what crapped out on my friends 127ultima fucked the oil pump,cam,lifter blocks and the rest of the shit went up the back of the pistons,BUT in saying that we rebuilt it using s+s lifters and the pistons are mahle good quality.That mtr is scary fast the torque it makes is incredible and its still going strong.

Comment

• DeadSeaGulls
                    • Jun 2014

Threw on a Lepera seat and some bars I drew up and my buddy, Greg, built for me.
                    The looming threat of a lightning storm had me in a rush to get everything on the bike and ride home, so the wire routing is pretty shitty right now, but i'll sort it when this once in a lifetime monsoon season passes in Utah.

My design wasn't quite right. I had a 15 degree angle from level with ground at the first bend on the bars, which resulted in hitting my speedo when turned... should have been a 20 degree from ground. Didn't want to torch the freshly chromed bars and bend them, so we just made some 1" spacers on the lathe which gave us 1/8" clearance at full turn.
                    Doesn't look too bad either.

Comment

• backwithabang
                      • May 2011

Updated and sketched the shit out of my fxr. Less old
                      Man more dumb shithead and that's me
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Clockwork444
                        • Dec 2013

guy i bought my bike from's dad has a 127 ultima. one too many over rev's on the dyno and they took the motor out. i believe it was also a valvetrain failure. im not any kind of expert but i do a bit of work on engines (race sleds and have built a few car engines) and from what i see, the problem lies with trying to run such a large stroke in a stock sized case. the block can be clearanced to make it fit, but you have to run a piston with such a short skirt, that this can cause premature wear, and in an extreme case, it looks like it can cause a piston to turn sideways in its cylinder LOL

Comment

• mike1407
                          • Jan 2010

Just finished putting on some cop bags. Had to swap out my supertrapp, which im bummed about, for a bassani. Its a nice pipe, sounds good, but i cant stand the heat shields. o well. i love having the bags. gonna add a hd quarter fairing and paint soon. if anybody wants a supertrapp or trade for a fairing hit me up.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Tuxedotorpedo
                            • Apr 2010

PM sent on that Supertrapp. Bike looks GREAT.

Originally posted by mike1407
                            Just finished putting on some cop bags. Had to swap out my supertrapp, which im bummed about, for a bassani. Its a nice pipe, sounds good, but i cant stand the heat shields. o well. i love having the bags. gonna add a hd quarter fairing and paint soon. if anybody wants a supertrapp or trade for a fairing hit me up.

Comment

• PanHeadRich
                              • Jul 2014

Outstanding Ride Mike!!! Mine should be looking and running much better this coming Spring.
                              Last edited by PanHeadRich; 08-16-2014, 7:42 PM.

Comment

• BigOscar
                                • Jul 2009

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2113.jpg
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	1275247

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...