CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 68 of 104 First ... 1858666768697078 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

LDNCLR are you going to weld the rod straight to the pipe or use some sort of rubber mount? I am now going to steal your version of a horizontal bar instead of the vertical style i have used before that always breaks. I think I'm just going to weld the rod to the pipe though, that will keep very stout and in harmony with the motor vibrations. Mine is just 2.5" SST with a turnout at the rear pegs, couple small baffles, really lightweight.

Get Adobe Flash player

@ercle69, I worked on it a bit today. I'm definitely making the mount and pipe bolt together, as having them per mantle welded would make installing/removing the pipe a total pain in the ass.
    I ll snap a few pics next time I'm out in the shop....

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah I've been thinking about that quite a bit too, that would make installation awkward. let me see what you come up with!

Get Adobe Flash player

Ive' gotta ask this because its the one thing I majorly hate when I need to quickly take the tank off. I bought a set of http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...-LWxoCEmzw_wcB and they don't really work well because of the angle of the barbs coming off the tank. They fit under the backbone but the line is really short and they are hard to pull apart and put together without spilling gas anyways. I want to try and make this bike as easy to service at anytime and things like having to drain the gas tank is stupid, especially if you're out of the road for some reason and something happens. What does everyone do for their tank cross over? Anyone else have an effective system they use to quick disconnect?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by brooklynbomber View Post
    Ive' gotta ask this because its the one thing I majorly hate when I need to quickly take the tank off. I bought a set of http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...-LWxoCEmzw_wcB and they don't really work well because of the angle of the barbs coming off the tank. They fit under the backbone but the line is really short and they are hard to pull apart and put together without spilling gas anyways. I want to try and make this bike as easy to service at anytime and things like having to drain the gas tank is stupid, especially if you're out of the road for some reason and something happens. What does everyone do for their tank cross over? Anyone else have an effective system they use to quick disconnect?
    i used them by a brand named Tusk on my rd350 2-stroke, had a crossover tube connecting the tank halves... worked fucking great.they might have a 90 degree barb? not sure I would look into it if i were you, a lot cheaper through them also.

Quote Originally Posted by LDNCLR View Post
    I started on this the other night, stainless 1.75 stepped to 2 inch, 2-1. Just tacked up now, final welding and a few mounts next.

I see you have relocated your oil tank behind the transmission did you reuse the stock tank or use something else ? I have heard rumors of using a modified bagger trans to avoid cutting the frame

My bad. Now I see its a twin cam

I shouldn't post before my hangover wears off

Get Adobe Flash player

My bad. Now I see its a twin cam
    I bought a 1997 bagger trans and primary setup to replace my tired '88 stocker while ditching that silly oil bag, and am fine with cutting the frame and making the new brace removable as some have done. It's a fairly common mod and the fab is minimal.

I'll still run an Evo but there's no reason to be bothered about such a simple mod if it's done properly. Another bonus is the ability to use plentiful TC drivetrains in the future if wanted. Lots of customer takeouts floating around that can be had cheaper than an Evo rebuild, and if you get another Evo you can swap back if that's your thing.

LDNCLRs exhaust work is sweet.

Get Adobe Flash player

Oh yeah, I'll be using a Twinkie when me Evo gets tired. Is 1997 roughly the better age range I should be looking for? Does the swingarm from that year work as well?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by hatcity View Post
    I see you have relocated your oil tank behind the transmission did you reuse the stock tank or use something else ? I have heard rumors of using a modified bagger trans to avoid cutting the frame
    This is an evo.... Not a twink. I used a evo era bagger trans and modified the oil pan to fir without cutting the frame.
    Thanks guys for the exhaust compliments. It came out better than I had hoped.

Get Adobe Flash player

Farmal, you might weigh the options of cutting the oil pan verses modding the frame. Modding the frame will require a new solution for the right side foot peg mount as well as a new kick stand.

I felt the oil pan mod was much less work.

This is an evo.... Not a twink. I used a evo era bagger trans and modified the oil pan to fir without cutting the frame.
    Thanks guys for the exhaust compliments. It came out better than I had hoped.
    Well done. The rocker box covers threw me off. S&S ? How long did it take you to cut and fab up the notch in the oil pan?
    Last edited by hatcity; 03-19-2015 at 5:42 PM. Reason: Forgot to ask a question

Get Adobe Flash player

I did it in an afternoon. But I already had the bike stripped. Motor is an el bruto 120.

Get Adobe Flash player

this is what needed to be removed

pan bolted back up and trans test fit…

pull the trans, remove pan and square everything up

flat milled location for new drain and begin with the puzzle pieces.

Get Adobe Flash player

this was my first time tigging ALů

oil feed and drain bungs welded in

and final test fit

Get Adobe Flash player

and of course it all comes apart again for final assembly

and finished up after i upgraded all of the shift mechanism to the later twin cam 5 speed internals

and a filler panel for under the seat to cover the old oil tank location. now my tool bag can go under the seat.

if any one wants to see more of this build process, let me know, and Ill start my own thread. this one can get back to normal FXR stuff.

Get Adobe Flash player

if any one wants to see more of this build process, let me know, and Ill start my own thread. this one can get back to normal FXR stuff.
    I'm interested!

Quote Originally Posted by DeaDSpacE13 View Post
    I'm interested!
    Me too

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's mine. 14k miles, was bone stock when I got it, which was about 1 month ago. Mocking the thunderheader up in this pic so I don't have the mids attached. Have since removed the sissy back rest. Am replacing the butterfly carb with a cv. I managed to find a TH cone and will be welding that back on. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	58050
    Nothing special or crazy, no major mods. My new daily

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by LDNCLR

Me three!

Share This