• Show
Clear All
  • foreverontwo
    • Mar 2012

spokes 19".

Comment

• misfitJason
      • Sep 2009

The brake side needs to be aligned properly. The other side kinda slides in a little. It cannot be grossly off. Your axel should have a stepped down side (machined lip). Well the axel spacer only slides over to that lip and then it tightens up

Comment

• bobscogin
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by coachstorms

Love seeing a TC stuffed in there, so sweet.
        Any modifications required to drop the Twin Cam powertrain in an FXR frame besides the oil pan consideration?

Bob
        Last edited by bobscogin; 05-31-2013, 2:24 PM.

Comment

• ercle69
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by bobscogin
          Any modifications required to drop the Twin Cam powertrain in an FXR frame besides the oli pan consideration?

Bob
          TONS, to my understanding.

Comment

• bobscogin
            • Jun 2011

Could you elaborate?

Bob

Comment

• punkrod
              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by bobscogin
              Could you elaborate?

Bob
              A lot of things depend on which year Twinkie drive-train you're swapping in.
              The rear pivot axle is larger than the FXR so the rear swingarm bushings and mounts need to be changed to the setup and rubbers that are "stock" for the touring drive-train being used. This can be tricky with regards to the FXR's swingarm. The touring swingarm may be used in some cases along with the rear wheel and brake but shock spacing and frame clearancing should be checked and adjusted appropriately. After '09 the touring bikes got redesigned and I have no idea what will fit back there.
              Both bottom frame crossmembers have to come out and be replaced by ones that fit around the drivetrain, (some guys leave them out altogether but that's not advised). This also requires the removal of the footpeg mounts. Most guys make mounts for the dyna foot controls.
              The kickstand is usually an issue depending on what year setup you have but a weld on aftermarket stand fixes all.
              Special consideration needs to be given to the clutch cable exit if you're using mid controls. The stock FXR end cover has the cable exiting more downward and that cover will fit a twinkie tranny.
              The fathead rocker boxes have also presented an issue on a couple that I've seen since the Twinkie cylinders are a scosh taller. Frame clearancing may be required, (bear in mind the FXR frame awesomness happens to be in the same spot just above the rear rocker box so modifications to this area need to be done carefully and well).
              For the primary, you'll need to mod the FL primary cases for the mid shifter to pass through unless you're going with forward controls or use an FXR primary, (not 100% sure that it'll fit).
              One key thing about Harley frames and the FXR in particular is that the frame was designed for it's drivetrain and the whole thing is like a tuning fork. There's a lot of margin in the FXR design for more torque and power but the vibration characteristics are very different so some areas of the frame may receive different stresses than the EVO drive-train presented.

Comment

• snowblind
                • Aug 2012

I used the entire drivetrain out of a 2006 FL including the swingarm and heres how I had to modify the frame to fit it all. Heres the bone stock frame:

Made a new crossmember that unbolts in case I ever need to remove the oil pan.

Heres the finished product. The front crossmember was replaced with 1.25 inch tube. The threaded blocks on each side are my mid control mounts.

Comment

• bobscogin
                  • Jun 2011

Thanks, guys. I'm glad to see that the engine/transmission mounting points don't require modifications. The rest looks pretty simple.

Bob

Comment

• misfitJason
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Aarong
                    before laughlin i put in a S&S 107, 45 mikuni and new tranny..

also got some new bags mounted up and an 18 inch rear mag with a metz 150 on it.
                     photo photo2-15_zpsfe21ccb8.jpg

First time I have ever seen a Prius with rims

Comment

• Aarong
                      • Sep 2010

Originally posted by misfitJason
                      First time I have ever seen a Prius with rims
                      Volk Racing Eco Drive, they are forged wheels, with Eco friendly paint.

Comment

• wifebeater
                        • Jul 2010

Finished mine.

Pro skreet.
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Viking4017
                          • May 2013

Can you dudes tell me where I can find clamps to mount 1 3/4 drag pipes on my FXR I don't want use the stock bracket?

Comment

• foreverontwo
                            • Mar 2012

Anyone know what bar is that? Or a similar bar that isnt dimpled?

Comment

• bobscogin
                              • Jun 2011

Anyone here built a bike using the Kraft Tech swing arm frame for the rubber mount FXR style powertrain?

Bob

Comment

• Postal
                                • Dec 2010

Hey, who makes that windshield extension for the fairing? Also, what bags are those? Sweet looking bike..

Originally posted by Aarong
                                before laughlin i put in a S&S 107, 45 mikuni and new tranny..

also got some new bags mounted up and an 18 inch rear mag with a metz 150 on it.
                                 photo photo2-15_zpsfe21ccb8.jpg

Last edited by Postal; 06-04-2013, 1:34 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;