Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billdozer
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by theMule
    I'm not too proud to admit I wanna climb on this bandwagon. I think everyone will know what I mean when I say I want to put together a typical m/c style FXR. My current daily rider is an '03 1200xl, and I'm not so sure of how much difference there would be in the overall riding experience.

Obviously were talking BT vs sportster, rubber vs solid mount, but the FXRs claim to fame is it's handling and overall "fun-ness." would I really notice much of a difference between the two in this category? I've never felt like my sporty was unstable in a corner or unresponsive.

Anyone who's owned both *cough* Billdozer... care to weigh in?
    OK, I'll try to articulate this from my experience with both. I've owned a couple sporties, 883, 1200, stock, lowered, strutted and one with 16's front and rear. Currently I ride a 92 FXR which is as low as you can get and about as stiffly sprung as possible. I like the FXR better, but the sporties were great. The FXR has more pull according to my butt dyno. Now I know guys will tell you their sporties outrun big twins all the time and they probably do and might smoke mine too, but this bike feels faster than my two previous sportsters. It feels like it stretches longer in between gears, like the sporties had a more close ratio trans. The Sporty might be quicker, but the FXR feels faster. I don't know if that's actually true, some real HD mechanic on here could easily tell you that. The difference is not that great but is enough to make the big bike feel more "fun" to me. The huge difference that was instantly noticeable was the massive wheelbase on the FXR. The first few days on this bike after spending a year on a sporty felt like I was going to overshoot slow turns because the bike was just so damn long. I got used to it after a while and it felt normal. The extra size makes it less "flickable" if such a thing can be said about any Harley. It also feels more weight biased to the rear than the sporty, probably due to head angle. Again, I never actually looked up the degrees of rake, they may be the same but the sporty felt like a steeper head angle. That extra wheelbase makes the FXR feel more relaxed on the highway and during more high speed work. If super tight and twisty or light to light is your bag, just mod your sporty until it's faster and save yourself a lot of expense. If you want something a little more suited to highway riding the FXR might be your thing. Having mid controls on a big twin instead of the birthing-chair position a lot of BT riders chose probably makes them seem to handle way better too. I can't stand forwards, cause I can't stand on 'em.

I wrote this in another thread on FXR's a while back: Half of the lore (of the FXR) probably comes from guys who like to go fast buying the bikes so then everyone thinks the bikes are fast. The other half probably comes from the frame's rigidity and geometry, 'cause with an 80" evo, how could it be any faster than any other 80" evo really?

Currently got a homebuilt sporty hardtail chop. Fun for running around ton, but id like something bigger with more power for distances, highway, etc. Not sure what to be looking at. I been checking street bobs. I like the simplicity. Seems like a good match of what im looking for But I'm also finding that they tend to be a

Also, I'm fat. Fat on an FXR is more comfortable than fat on a sporty. Also fits a passenger better. Read that other thread there is some decent insight on other late model bikes, like a Superglide. When I rode the 2011 Street Bob last year in Mexico it was way faster than my FXR but felt spongy, like a Buick with overboosted power steering. After nearly two weeks on that thing I got back on my FXR and was stoked to ride it. It's low, harsh and loud and I felt like I could tell what was going on with it, where the super modern bike just felt too cushy and comfortable and would be too easy to get surprised by it in a corner or something where you didn't mean to go so fast.

Comment

• BIGJ
      • Sep 2009

Yeah !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      LETS HEAR FOR FAT GUYS ON A FXR WE RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• blacksheep
        • Nov 2009

i need one... im getting fatter these days

Comment

• carlingas
          • Oct 2009

Slapped mine together on a stock HD salvage frame..super sweet!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by carlingas; 09-18-2011, 1:50 PM. Reason: too much info..

Comment

• mjasen10
            • Aug 2009

to bill, the new sportsters are "quicker" but the b.t. are faster, especially on the top end. i wrench at a dealership and will stand by this any day of the week. i can also attest to the twin cams being alot faster than the evos. soooo much smoother as well. not near as cool in my opinion though. they have no soul haha

Comment

• billdozer
              • Apr 2024

Originally posted by mjasen10
              to bill, the new sportsters are "quicker" but the b.t. are faster, especially on the top end. i wrench at a dealership and will stand by this any day of the week. i can also attest to the twin cams being alot faster than the evos. soooo much smoother as well. not near as cool in my opinion though. they have no soul haha
              So, my Butt Dyno doesn't lie. Are the gear ratios actually closer on a sporty?

Comment

• mjasen10
                • Aug 2009

you must have an accurate butt dyno haha! i havent ever actually looked up the ratios and compare but id damn near bet my job they are. they sportster engines are just a better design. great bikes over all! light, cheap less mechanical loss in the drive train and waaaaaaaaaay better valvetrain geometry.

Comment

• northtown
                  • Nov 2010

Fxr’s from Born Free 3

Sik rides, The blue one is even a Twinkie!!
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Kickfiend
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by tat2dMISFIT
                    anything FXR related is the plan lets see how it goes. just trying to get a rad thread goin, a place for reference. pics, tech, and questions bust em out.

This one is almost too nice!!

Comment

• phelix007
                      • Aug 2011

Motor for FXR

I'm looking for motor for a 1990 FXR Paugho rigid. Also information on high preformance parts.

Comment

• billdozer
                        • Apr 2024

Let's see some FXR love!

Comment

• punkrod
                          • Jul 2011

T-Rod's FXR is pretty rad, my friend bought it from him and rides the piss out of it. I ran the local twisties on it and it corners great and it's scary fast.

I did a chain conversion on it because he likes to do wheelies.

Someday mine will be done:

That's a 160 Dunlop E3 with a 1.125" 2002 Softail belt / pulley. Works 14" black trackers on order now and it'll never be fitted with a fairing.

Comment

• Kickfiend
                            • Oct 2009

Photobucket

Comment

• RmFaster
                              • Jul 2011

Love the FXRs. We need more pics.

Comment

• LDNCLR
                                • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Kickfiend
                                Photobucket
                                makes me want a T fairing. Fucking LOVE it!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;